XboxEra Community Hangout |OT| Safe Space no longer required (Part 1)

Gotta love competition!

Now imagine what PlayStation users could accomplish if they criticized some of the company’s decisions for once…

11 Likes

rad as hell, indeed.

3 Likes

not sure if they’re gonna continue this beyond the few months they have this planned for. They did say more to share soon at the end of that blogspot, so it’d be interesting to see how this program shapes up, whether it continues or is just a seasonal thing like every year. This is basically Epic partnership effect I believe, EGS does in on the weekly, and most of the games on that list I already have gotten on EGS for free haha. Very cool for PS owners tho, stay eatin!

This is not new, it was already launched last Year, and it was until June I think.

Truly rad, but sustainable?

Easily, Epic has been doing this but weekly for years now including big AAA games and Sony surely has more money to spend. But I’m not sure what this does besides being a cool gesture for fans.

:rofl:

Sony is dead lol SUCKS TO BE YOU PONY

Basically, it is a gesture they made because of the pandemic to their fans, where they offer some free games for a period of time, along with a bigger one. Though the most recent ones are generally reserved for PS Plus.

1 Like

not necessarily that sustainable for them, EGS is still in the user acquisition phase and they’re bleeding money left and right and being loss leaders for now. As of late, they’re just rehashing games that were already given away before, haven’t seen an Arkham Trilogy like giveaway in a while. But I’m not gonna complain about free stuff lol.

Also, this is a really good thing that Sony is doing, no idea why you’re trying to downplay it.

I’ve been sitting on HZD for over a year, waiting to play a PS5 upgraded version. But I got it for just $8, so whatevs.

Hopefully that PS5 upgrade is coming soon. God of War’s upgrade is incredible. It’s looks like a PS5 game.

1 Like

*Loss losers :laughing:

Nah I said it’s a nice gesture towards their fans, it’s just that I don’t see any model here.

ahh OK I get what you mean. This doesn’t indicate any long-term shift in their business model like people might think, that I agree yeah. This is perhaps just due to the pandemic so it’s good for that, but shall be shortlived. I do think banking on PS Plus is their actual long-term strategy. They should consolidate PS Plus and PS Now into a super sub and make it like Gamepass Ultimate, and start releasing first party games six months to one year into release and keep them on it forever.

1 Like
1 Like

MORE FREE STUFFZ

I definitely think PS Plus is their long-term strategy there, just by the way they communicate about it WAY more than PS Now. Some analysts were also apparently saying that PS Now was losing subscribers because of the content. I think they are going to continue putting more and more recent on games on PS Plus each month and basically growing this install base.

Maybe, that’s what they meant by having an answer to Game Pass, not necessarily doing the same thing as Xbox but trying to improve what they already have, instead of building something from the ground up and losing money to do that. Maybe a service like Game Pass is truly unsustainable for them, but building up PS Plus is more affordable.

2 Likes

exactly. People seem to get hung up on Sony saying Gamepass like service is unsustainable for them and extrapolate that to mean therefore it should be unsustainable for everyone else too. That’s the kind of thinking that treating Playstation as the default gets you, everything you see about the market is gonna be filtered through the lens of what PS does and what they say. It was the first time where they didn’t have a say in the market when gamepass started catching up and suddenly people have cognitive dissonance. For the type of games Sony makes, and the kind of money they are willing to put into a service like gamepass, it is unsustainable for them, doesn’t mean Xbox is in the same position.

But yeah, having said that, PS Plus is better for them. It’s fewer titles, and only available for that month to grab, but you get to keep them forever. I do see PS Plus price going up sometime like next year if they keep up this giving away big games and it’s like half the price of gamepass rn. They can hike the price and just bundle in PS now.

The only anomaly is Gamepass is every first party game day 1 and stays there forever, Sony just isn’t willing to do that. And that’s gonna be a strong difference once Xbox actually starts pumping out games from these studios on the regular. It’ll no longer be “oh cool, finally all these backcatalog games”, it’ll literally be Starfield, Halo Infinite, FH5, Avowed, Fable, TES6, SoD3, AOE4, Perfect Dark, so on all day 1.

1 Like

Seeing how PlayStation only ppl are getting really excited over the 10 play at home games really puts gamepass into perspective

2 Likes

lmaoo

3 Likes

Great Marketing for the brand and Horizon game so HFW will come later this year

1 Like

Yeaah. I expect Resogun giveaway before Returnal release as well

1 Like