XboxEra Community Hangout |OT| Safe Space no longer required (Part 1)

Oh really? I’ll try it then, I have it on my PS5 so it costs nothing to try. I just remember at launch people talking about how it was tricky but fun when you “got gud” :slight_smile: I normally play everything on “normal” anyway, but I appreciate being able to drop difficulties if I find something tricky or with a level of precision I can’t manage.

Thanks!

I never felt it was a “get good” scenario, more than the game just not being very great in combat, the weakest element. To be frank, I feel that way about most of Remedy’s stuff so take that for what it’s worth. Solid games but overhyped.

Really excited for this announcement on the 17th. Maybe today some people will tease some more?

Hopefully they will soon get back to making games BC again too. I am still so very much waiting for Dust : An Elysian Tale. And of course Max Payne 3. But not holding my breath.

W O W

this looks very good. :grinning:

5 Likes

It is a trend that we see in many medium nowadays where plot points don’t make sense, it is just there to look cool, be atmospheric or make you think too much without properly explain “why” at the end. Like the movie Tenet, where if you think too much, you begin to see gigantic plot holes and how it falls apart. But it is part of the experience. You don’t have to understand everything to appreciate a piece of art. I like to refer to the Gestalt theory : “the whole is more than the sum of its parts”.

I get what they were going for from the start, so it didn’t bother me, but I understand that it could be disappointing in the end. We get through cool shit, but it is never explained why it’s there. Why she is the director ? Why did the director killed himself at the beginning ? Was it a suicide ? Was it the service weapon ? Why everything and everyone look and talk in a weird manner ? Are we in Jesse’s mind ? And why did she talk about the poster and what’s behind ? Just like the poster metaphor at the beginning, you can’t look at it too much without being more and more puzzled. It is part of the experience.

Also, I want to mentioned the atrocious French dub which is hilarious and makes the experience even weirder (I couldn’t do the whole game in french, as it was too painful…).

2 Likes

Oh absolutely. Generally I think the best parts of games are the world building anyway. Narrative stories don’t need to make clear sense if that is what the game designed around.

But I think here, they were trying to tell a story, but just messed up at some point.

2 Likes

Maybe I misspoke, it’s been a while since I played it and can’t remember properly. I just found horizons story to be pretty boring generally. I loved finding out about what happened via the world building and ‘ruins’ segments, but Alloys story was just nothing basically.

Maybe I am too hard on it actually.

Hmm that the point of the story. Aloy happens to be part of it and has no general meaning to what happens. But the world surrounding her is very special once you solve the mystery.

In the game I always felt like: I know something is wrong and happend in the past. I was the person who asked the question why does it looks like I’m in alternative world why can I see rotten modern buildings, why does nobody know anything about the past?. Aloy to me was basic and just a girl who fight for her live and loved ones. Nothing special. The most important character to me here is the world itself.

Yeah, story is butchered hard. It’s like they build the game as Lego bricks they could adjust very easily without messing with the storyline. The DLC didn’t make much sense either, but it was easily made after they nailed the basic idea. The whole game is like that.

I think it pertains to the frustration they felt during the making of Quantum Break where everything was like jenga pieces. Dealing with “Time” as a story plot is hard if you want it to make sense.

Another clue of that is the whole P6/P7. P6 (project 6) was Quantum Break, a flawed gem that put a lot of pressure on the team, so P7 (Control) had to be the hero, the savior, the game that builds on Quantum Break’s legacy and technologies. I think you can also make a point that “Control” was literally about taking control back from the hands of publishers, investors… I’ve read that somewhere. It makes sense.

Holy shit, this has to be the most ugly console ever

1 Like

She was special though wasn’t she? She was a clone of Dr Sobeck.

I just didn’t find the Aloys story to be all that engaging. The world and the history / events was really interesting though. Just to be clear I think Horizon is an amazing game, 8.5/10. Just drawing some parallels between its wordbuilding from that and Control VS their central narratives.

4 Likes

I really liked Horizon’s world and its events. Probably my fav Sony exclusive this past gen with Gravity Rush 2.

I probably don’t remember her story but the plot sticked with me, in a way like Xenoblade and Bioshock did.

Haha I think Gravity Rush 1 is MUCH better… I was really hyped for part two but some changes in it and the story wasn’t for me in the end I dropped it…

The Last Guardian and Horizon Zero Dawn I consider the best from PS4 followed by Spiderman. I expect GoT to be game I enjoy a lot but I decided to wait for a ps5 and play this game there.

Gravity Rush 2 improved everything 1 to me + the different versions of Kat’s power are amazing. But its the style of game that “sony fans” dont buy + it had really really poor marketing.

I didnt really like Tsushima that much since Im burnt out on the modern Assassins Creed formula + too much running around like a headless chicken in that game.

Read on Reddit that tomorrow we should hear more about the Bethesda + Xbox merger?

1 Like

I think that’s just the earliest we could hear something, as the objections can be made through today (15th of February). I don’t think we’ll hear anything on it this week though.

Where’d you see that?

Haha. I actually liked that PS3 slim model mainly because I do like consoles that have a flip top lid or sliding tray cover for where the disc goes because if there’s ever a problem with the disc drive, you can change it out yourself. Look/design wise, I have a PS5 and had the original Xbox One. After a while, I won’t care anymore about the look/design as long as the games are great.