Xbox Series X = Xbox One X Pro

Issue with what you’re asking for is “next gen” is different for every gamer. What do you consider next gen? Are you looking for something similar to the Matrix demo? If so, it’ll likely be running at 30fps.

This generation is different than any before because the leap in performance is the smallest yet on the graphics side. Games are also more expensive to make, so it’s become more difficult to drop last gen support. So the increase in graphics is going to take a bit longer.

We’ll get amazing looking games. We just need to wait. One things for sure, the Series X is not just a One X Pro.

4 Likes

One thing that is good about this forum is that there are very few threads that have this kind of bad faith premise.

3 Likes

This is probably an unpopular opinion but I’m okay with them releasing updated consoles again this generation. The hard drives are way too small and having a Series S as my secondary bedroom Xbox is good but I will be more than ready to trade it in for an updated Xbox in a year or two.

The 60fps and ultra fast loading times made both my Series X and PS5 worth the purchase. Visually speaking, my #1 game is Horizon Forbidden West. Nothing looks better thus far. #2 would be Cyberpunk 2077. Then there’s probably a few other games all mixed in for #3.

While Forza Horizon 5, Flight Simulator and the upcoming Forza Motorsport 8 all look excellent, none of them do anything for me personally as im not into sports/sim games. I’m not expecting a visual showcase until Hellblade 2 to be perfectly honest but it is what it is.

2 Likes

I am Pro Xbox so won’t even mind an expensive Xbox with substantial upgrade in its specs

Will definitely buy one

I think with all the demand in the market right now, a $800-1000 xbox will also sell good and I would buy one

What is next gen to you?

And wth do you expect from a 500 dollar box?

I think youre delusional in terms of what you expect from these systems. They do 60 well at a good res with fast loading as well as many feautures

The one x had an awful CPU.

I don’t think it’s fair to assume the thread is made in bad faith. Some people aren’t familiar with game technology and some don’t want to be. I don’t think there is anything wrong with asking when we’ll see next gen games in the more traditional sense. While we’ve seen some nice leaps, we haven’t seen anything that hits the same level as the Matrix demo and it’s that level of fidelity I think many expect from these machines.

Again some people don’t have a good understanding of technology and how it applies to games. Nothing wrong with that.

Also please let’s not call each other names even if we disagree.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Imagine having access to more content than ever for a low cost, stream your games on the cloud seamlessly with low power devices, and play your games in 4K/60. This is next gen, and it just gets better with every iteration.

1 Like

I don’t believe it was made in bad faith necessarily either, but saying One X has a 60fps mode in FH5 when he says he has both systems is not correct. It’s just not true.

But I do get where he’s coming from. For me too the biggest differences so far are 60fps and the loading times because of the SSD. The true next gen game is Flight Simulator but that’s a game i barely ever play and I bet that goes for a lot of people. I’m still waiting for the I guess more mainstream games to become truly current gen(current gen) and it really seems Starfield is going to be that, the scale is amazing for starters. The one question though is, what framerate can we expect? We’ve gotten so used to playing most games at 60fps, gonna take some adjusting if it’s lower. But we want pretty graphics and we want current gen only, end of the day these are still consoles and sacrifices are going to be made.

We know the current gen only games are coming like Starfield, Redfall (right now visually not that crazy), Avowed, Hellblade 2 etc. They are all coming and will look fantastic but it’s just taking a lot of time, understandable, but also unfortunately.

That being said, I find all these enhanced BC games with things like auto HDR which is fantastic also part of the next gen experience, it’s stuff that the Xbox One isn’t doing.

2 Likes

Recently I’ve heard the PS5 describe as a PS4-Pro Pro and I can see where people are coming from, and this is why I let’s stress the importance of Direct X12 Ultimate.

One thing that people seem to agree on is that Unreal Engine 5 is “next gen”. Even though it runs at 30 FPS in many cases with various solutions to hit a 4K resolution, people are most impressed by the fidelity and lighting.

As Kage touched on, many of us seem to have a unique definition for “next gen” when games that are running at 4K and 120 FPS aren’t considered “next generation” but the sub-4K 30fps UE5 demos are.

What they are doing are things that you would see as a result of mesh shaders and RT hardware, but in software. It’s done in software so it can run on as many hardware configurations as possible. It’s these features that people are finding impressive.

The Series consoles are the only ones with these features in hardware.

(I won’t get into it now, but it looks like an efficient GI solution wouldn’t be completely based on RT hardware but could be boosted by it)

The only question now is whether a developer would create a game in DX12U from the ground up supporting these features. The answer is likely no.

With the silicon shortage, only a fraction of today’s gamers has the hardware to run it. There’s only 10 to 20 million Series console owners, and it looks like only a portion of DX12U graphics card owners are using it for games because another portion of owners are using it for crypto mining.

So to create a game that can only run on something like 5%-10% of gaming hardware out there doesn’t make financial sense.

In many cases developers want their games playable on hardware a decade old. I hope people wanted Halo Infinite to be a next gen only title, but if it ran on the Xbox One it could run on PC hardware from 2012. Which is great for getting more players to try out a free to play game and spend money in it.

That said, the industry does need its own “Crysis” that pushes people to upgrade their hardware. Flight Sim, which is a DX 11 game, actually pushed people to upgrade their computers because of how demanding it was. I think Microsoft first party would be wise to be the first ones to do this. They need to take that risk. Consider it a write off to encourage people to buy Series consoles or DX12U videocards.

4 Likes

I think in due time adopting DX12U will come down to how easy or hard it’ll be to implement it into a studio’s existing pipeline. We already know of 4A deciding to skip over mesh shaders because they are happy with their existing implementation.

As the generation goes on and studios are looking for ways to draw out more performance from these machines, I can see wider adoption to the features as long at the performance gains is worth the work.

2 Likes

They got unlucky with Covid, I’m sure we’re getting good lookers from the entire industry in the coming years

3 Likes

Can’t wait for xbox 2023 games because they all seem to be Xbox Series only.

3 Likes

Yeah, not a fan of this cross-gen stuff. I understand it, so no need to @ me lol, I just don’t care for it from a purely selfish pov. Will be fun to get some proper stuff coming soon.

With cloud streaming even to old consoles there is no need at all to take the old consoles into consideration any more. Time to move on.

1 Like

Presumably Xbox passed on publishing The Quarry when Google Stadia closed their publishing company. Xbox did nab Kojima from Google Stadia so not sure why they passed on the Quarry.

As for Gamepass the Take Two CEO famously broke nda about Gamepass’ projected numbers last September when Phil presumably gave Zelnick their projections on close to 30 million by the end of 2021. That mishap has caused Xbox to be more guarded with their subscriber numbers. Zelnick gave the 30 million estimate far too early and publicly so it has been an Xbox headache ever since.

That would have been a very cool addition though!

1 Like

Yeah Xbox publishing the Quarry would’ve really benefitted Xbox this year since the game is being regarded as Supermassives best since Until Dawn. As a bonus it would’ve been yet another former PS4 exclusive developer that would now produce an Xbox exclusive (similar to Hellblade). Sometimes I really question Xbox management’s decisions.

In terms of some Game Pass additions or exclusions, yeah I agree.

Current gen only games have been massively delayed, in general. Covid is still a thing.

Actually, in the context of a global killer virus that snuffed out over 5m human lives, I think it’s remarkable that we’re getting truly next gen games only 3 years after console launch.

2 Likes

Is this a troll? lol