Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

If they name it something that is linked to GaaS titles and make it obvious then people who don’t care about GaaS games won’t watch and they wouldn’t be able to grow the titles, that’s the catch 22.

1 Like

But the problem is that they people have been waiting for a big showcase for a whole year. If they had more showcases during the year - nobody would complain. But waiting for a whole year for a showcase with GaaS updates is a joke. Make more showcases and some direct-like events. I think if they just asked for help from the community - a lot of problems would be resolved.

I do wonder how Sony will do that with their showcases - as they will feature their games and Destiny. Will be interesting to compare.

The thing is people moaned about it but did they tune out, no (numbers pretty much only went up). So Microsoft probably sees the negative of people who don’t care about it vs the chance to get new people to play the game is too great, like I posted the numbers of FH5 got are decent boost.

There is no perfect method really.

But of course people would tune in because it was a literally a first show since the last year where it was hyped up by almost everybody. I wonder what numbers would be if they said from the very beginning that it was including only the next 12 months though.

I am pretty sure that if they show nothing but Minecraft content, their Xbox showcase will have amazing amount of viewers (I don’t remember how much Minecon Live had though, but I think it was big). Minecraft, Overwatch and COD in the future - this will be enough to get the incredible viewership without their other first party content.

Yeah the reason why they hid the 12 month thing is because people would’ve went into the showcase with a negative mindset automatically. To be honest most of the Xbox first party streams aren’t that big, we’re talking about 500 - 4k for something like Forza monthly.

Things like COD, Minecraft and Overwatch would obviously get big numbers but they also need to market their State of Decays and Grounded, those games cannot stand on their own if they want to grow bigger.

I’m thinking how about they have;

1. E3 for the next 12 months + one or two big announcements + short trailers for the GaaS games like 1-2minutes only

2. Inside Xbox (insert game here) which highlights games nearing release

3. Xbox X0, showcases game updates, Xbox console feature updates, big game pass drops, new controllers, and maybe something like a game announcement the size of 007 remake being shadow dropped

This is morphing into a bigger point I want to make so figured Staffy and I could discuss this in the Xbox thread.

I mean I can count on Xbox getting things half right. They bought the Kojima project from Google Stadia. But why not also buy the Supermassive game from Stadia?

So just to be clear Xbox made a couple giant mistakes recently.

Suppermassive’s The Quarry could’ve been an Xbox Gamepass Day 1 and exclusive but Xbox skipped buying it.

Xbox could’ve countered the Final Fantasy 7 snub easily if they just purchased Crystal Dynamics. Xbox gamers would’ve been perfectly happy to trade Final Fantasy for Crystal Dynamics.

These game developers were handed to Xbox on a silver platter and they just failed to act.

4 Likes

Lots of assumptions here, MS isn’t going to just go out and fund every game

and buying CD doesn’t counter FF, it would have been nice sure but FF is the only big budget JRPG series nowadays and JRPGs are slim pickings as it is, getting CD or Tomb raider doesn’t change that

and they just bought ABK

2 Likes

I might sound like a broken record but Microsoft needs more shows! I don’t understand the lack of shows compared to others because these shows always keep games in the news cycle. Hopefully in 2023 Microsoft will have multiple shows

2 Likes

Yep. They aren’t going to buy everything and everyone you want or think would fit. It’s an appealing thought but an unhealthy one to expect. I was very disappointed with them not getting Square Europe specifically Crystal Dynamics because that’s a studio I like, with history working with MS (said they like working with MS), and are co-developing one of XGS games that might be a pillar Xbox franchise this generation. The other studio I’d be disappointed If they don’t get (unless they remain independent) would be Asobo, because there’s similar history there, so in those cases I understand the disappointment, but still I’d understand with time that they won’t get everyone and everything.

Yeah I don’t get it either, the sooner they start them, the better. And it doesn’t only need to be XGS either, third parties is fine.

Sony is rumored to have yet another SoP soon, the last one was like a few weeks ago or so. It keeps them in the news and it will keep Xbox in the news too. Maybe if they bring back XO, that sure would help. Just one big show a year is just not good, have several ones that fans can look forward to.

1 Like

Its not a giant mistake for Xbox if you headcanon does not align with reality. Idk, maybe adjust your headcanon?

2 Likes

Yeah, I think these micro shows have only improved the reputation of Sony and Nintendo because whether news is big or small gamers crave it. My dream scenario is at least a show every quarter and can use the shows to promote gamepass, ID @Xbox and updates to XGS games. Plus should do something like starfield showing for major games a month before it comes out.

1 Like

I would be fine with just one show early Q1 for a start.

1 Like

This was discussed in the Xcast this week. They are working on it and planning on it. Paris specifically mentions talking to a Microsoft rep at Summer game fest and they say that it is basically heading that way but microsoft is a monolith and changing directions like that takes time. They can’t just snap their fingers and make it happen overnight. And with the impending Activision deal closing the sheer volume of studios they will have essentially demands it.

4 Likes

Speaking of mistakes Xbox is making. They’ve owned Fallout for two years almost and still haven’t greenlit a game yet? Xbox shouldn’t let that ip sit dormant regardless of how busy Todd Howard is. I have other examples as well but these are just some of the glaring self owns Xbox is making this month :laughing:

2 Likes

We also had those recent hires that heavily hint at it, let’s be honest, It should be a matter of time. I really feel like in In Q1/1H is when they need it most. Because June and after they have their big showcase, attend TGS, Gamescom, and TGA. A show in March, just a focused 30-45 minutes one, preferably focused on XGS, would be what I’d want. But just do a show, it doesn’t have to be perfect. Continue the news cycle.

In a way they had multiple shows last year. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sea of Thieves had its own stream thingy about the updates and another game had one. Was it Flight Sim?

It absolutely is just a matter of time.

Anyone who has worked for larger organizations knows exactly why this sort of thing takes so much time. I work somewhere that isnt even close to the size/scale of MS, and even the most basic projects/changes of direction are timelines of months or more. The number of meetings, reviews, approvals, sign offs, committees, etc is mind boggling.

I’m impressed they managed to do last year’s show that well considering that at the time Bethesda just officially joined a couple of months ahead

3 Likes

Well, does Forza Monthly show any gameplay or it is just a talk (interview)? I also remember some Horizon monthly or something, but it is on Twitch and I don’t like going there at all.

The thing is that their whole slate is

• E3
  • Gamescom
  • TGA
  • TGS
  • XO
  • Minecon
  • Quakecon
  • Blizzcon

Considering that the games are ready in different time, they should have some random smaller events - make Inside Xbox - I agree here, but I presume this name is tainted now :joy:

E3 is supposed to be that huge event, outlining the future of Xbox. Xbox Showcase this time was in fact Game Pass Showcase as it did include stuff that was not even available on Xbox.

Maybe some small Game Pass 1-2 minute video before each drop would be nice too.