Xbox Series S was ‘Black Friday’s most popular console’, it’s claimed - VGC

Its mighty hypocritical of people to not give a shit when the switch runs a game at 480p 25 fps but to throw a hissyfit when the series s runs a game at 1080p 30

4 Likes

"But it’s the only console on the shelves!”

It also outsold the Switch…

I think its probably coming down to mindshare. People saw the Series S is the only nextgen console with a stable framerate in Battlefield and not holding back nextgen anymore and just bought it :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Series S is the best casual console. Remember, not everyone is digging into Digital Foundry or anything tech related. All they want is games, games, and games.

1 Like

People really neglect the real world aspects of the gaming economy. A lot of families have multiple kids and not many can afford a $500 console for every kid. Maybe they can get one and share, but what if they fight over it? Getting two+ Series S can be an option. I think this is part of the reason the handhelds sell so well, no need to share the console, no fighting over the TV, and you can share the games.

I can guarantee that you are more likely to find a family with three Switches for each kid over a family with three PS5s. The Series S actually can compete with the Switch somewhat in this regard.

9 Likes

Haha… Devs and publishers will hit there games where Gamers are… If this keeps going on… series S may end up becoming lead platform and first optimizations.

That would be the golden age for Xbox

2 Likes

Yeah, I have heard it many. People who wanna buy a certain platform console will only buy that certain platform console

Wonder what’s changed? Maybe they just wanna play Fortnite and Rocket league

Those who bought it are not the same people who said they don’t want it…

Reminder that we live in a bubble of tweeter and social media…

Actual market talks about price and availability.

There are no favourites above price and availability

Series S Shines in this market

1 Like

Hmm… it’s almost like anyone with a brain, or who’s followed the trends of the console industry over the past 30+ years could have predicted that the Series S has a high chance of being the best selling single-SKU over the long haul. Perhaps Phil and Co. were onto something :wink:

11 Likes

It’s “wanted” and it’s “not wanted” at the same time

3 Likes

Happy Sunday Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

There’s a lot of classism, elitism, and gatekeeping when it comes to the Series S. It’s really astounding how people can be surprised that people would want a Series S… the console that appeals to the largest target audience (the casual gamer). More so, still reeling from a global pandemic that’s had more than its fair share of economic impact on families, I think it’s insane that people fail to appreciate that not everyone is as well off as them. It’s also the cheapest next-gen console, and if anyone thinks the Wii or the PS4 became the massive sellers they were because of their games/technology, I have a bridge to sell you.

Edit: also, I see a lot of comments that reek of living in a bubble; just because you can get a Series S by walking into a store doesn’t mean that applies to every locale (certainly doesn’t where I live), nor does it mean it’s not popular. Fact of the matter is, the Series S are likely being produced in greater numbers now due to the yield for S chips vs Series X (and because of broader market sensibilities).

8 Likes

You mean the cheap accessible console is most successful on a mass consumer day? I’m shocked….

The people who on here said the Series S was a mistake are very quiet I see….

I think it will outsell the series X by end of the generation.

3 Likes

For me that news item only tells me that MS did a better job to make those console available at the most important time of a year (compared to others). Of course they were able to do it because they might have double the yield for Series S chips compared to Series X chip that also get deployed into data centers. And as a second console the Series S has the right price point which is actually a no brainer if combined with Game Pass.

4 Likes

Anecdotal evidence, but I have a friend who is an Xbox Lifer who really can’t afford the Series X, nor does he have a fancy 4k tv. To him, the S is a great console at a great price.

5 Likes

I’m surprised this isn’t mentioned more. I’d be surprised if this isn’t a major tent pole in the strategy. There has got to be a significant number of PS5 players who are a) looking at Game Pass and wishing they had that on their console, and b) looking at Xbox exclusives (particularly since Bethesda) and wishing they could play some of them.

While b) has always been true for all gamers in all generations, the Series S makes the barrier of entry lower than ever. And with Game Pass and the strategy of day-and-date 1st party releases, the Series S ends up being an even better idea, as I’m sure many people will look at it as their Game Pass machine.

It’s basically a Trojan horse, as in the end it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if a bunch of PlayStation gamers end up using their PS5s mostly for Sony exclusives, and their Series Ss for most everything else. And even if this is not the case, and it ends up being the other way around, as long as they keep their Game Pass subscriptions active, I’m sure Microsoft is happy.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if the S comes with a month of gamepass included? I’m imagining a spike in Gamepass subscription sky rocketing between now and the end of the year.

Forza, Halo, holiday console sales have to combine like Voltron

The Series S is an amazing little console that plays great from my experience (have a Series X as primary), and it is a true next gen machine with a great CPU for framerates and SSD for loading speeds for well over 90% of people who don’t console war or read weeds level tech analysis about things most of us don’t notice during live gameplay.

4 Likes

No. Although some sellers might put a bundle like that.

Not surprised, I can buy a series S right now on Amazon with no issues lol.

Very smart on MS to take full advantage of the chip shortage.

I think people really underestimate the Series S and its capabilities. It plays literally every next gen game and whatever “not real next gen” shit you see is nonsense fanboy drivel.

8 Likes

sure but Halo Infinite shouldn’t be 1080p 30fps on it though. Just hope that’s something that is still WIP and will be better at launch

4 Likes

I’m also pretty sure the Sereis S is the fastest console in getting you from dashboard to in-game, maybe actually ever. Through quick resume that is, games can load in as fast as 3 seconds and on average 4-5 seconds on it.

1 Like