Xbox Series consoles to top NPD in revenue for the first time in June

Depends on the success of Game Pass, which will likely be seen as an amazing deal by the folks buying those consoles.

More and more people transition to digital and physical ownership is a thing mostly hardcore people utter about. Casuals dont care as long as they save $200 at the start.

7 Likes

MS can’t win. If they are at the bottom it’s “xbox are losers”. If they are at the top it’s “sales means nothing right now.”.

1 Like

You are just going to ignore my comment? Also look up Vandal data, the S usually sells more than the X in Spain because oh-guess-what: Xbox is not as supply constrained there.

1 Like

Even without suppy constraints. You’re looking at one country where the marker share is irrelevant. Spain probably sells as many consoles as one city in Japan.

You can keep reassuring yourself that the s will do better. We won’t know until the future. Right now. X is selling more and Will continue to do so.

The series s also isn’t Supply constrained in a lot of countries. It’s more readily available. Demand isn’t there for it.

Yeah, I think I will judge the demand for a product on my country myself. The S is definitely not readily available around here. It gets stock shipments pretty frequently but they sell out rapidly. That’s why the numbers in Vandal go from 500 to suddenly 2,000 the following week. It’s not as supply constrained as in the US or in Japan but there definitely is demand for the S here.

Regardless of supply, one thing has been proven and that games across PC and Console do not deter sales.

The “Why buy an Xbox when I have a PC” narrative is dead.

2 Likes

You are accusing someone of using one set of data in a low selling country yet you are using Japan of all places as your sole data point.

3 Likes

Series S is priced great. Just look at the success of the Nintendo Wii and Switch. When series S hits $250 and then $200 Its going to be an impulse buy for many people that want to jump in to next gen or as a secondary console.

5 Likes

I’d happily take that bet with you. Is this your first generation launch? Enthusiasts/hardcore gamers are always the first to line up to buy the newest consoles, so even if Series X is outselling the Series S at the moment (which you’ve provided a dataset for a single region, for which Xbox is the weakest, whilst ignoring data provided by other members), in the long term the wider audience is going to lean towards cost-effectiveness. I worked gaming retail briefly during the 360/PS3 era and the amount of Arcade 360s and 20GB PS3s that were sold greatly outnumbered that of the higher end models, and I’m almost absolutely sure the same will be the case here. People are quick to forget history and the fact that we’re still in a global recession caused by a pandemic that’s still not over, as such cost is going to be a primary motivator in the long run.

7 Likes

You’re making a lot of false assumptions/claims without any data to back up your claims; Spain sells more Xbox consoles historically than all of Japan. The last three weeks of June for Japan saw an average of 3000 S and X consoles sold (note this is for both), and that’s the first time since 2012 Xbox has seen this level of “success”. Spain on the other hand typically sells a minimum of 14,000 Series consoles a month, and that’s with supply constraints (historical data shows the numbers to be higher for previous gens post-launch).

As for making claims about other countries, given how inaccurate you’ve been thus far, I would just stop. I live in the United States and have friends/family all across the country, and we’ve all had issues getting either Series S or X consoles since the day preorders were open; most of us follow several Twitter trackers and all have the same experience of the S and X selling out almost immediately after any of the announcements. I’ve managed to snag three X and three S consoles (including two that my wife and my preordered on 9/22), compared to last gen in the same time frame where Xbox Ones were literally sitting on the shelves and none of those same family/friends were left scrounging the internet to snag a console. The facts of the matter, as Phil and others at Xbox (and data has shown), both Series consoles are selling through all of the production units.

I’m not sure why it’s so important to you that the Series S fail (which it won’t), but I’d suggest taking a step back from the emotions, do some research and not be so combative when people disagree… especially when they do so with verifiable data.

4 Likes

I think the Series S will get to the point where it will be outselling the Series X but at the moment i still feel the first year is always going to be that hardcore centric year of where people will get the more powerful machine with more memory as they obviously spend more time in the ecosystem. Obviously the Shortages hasn’t helped at the moment and as much as Xbox is on a roll with excellent PR at the moment I think the casual fans are still waiting to get that PS5 as it’s coming off a lot of momentum from the ps4 era. I do believe this will change though once the first party games get on a roll and in my opinion i predict Series S will outsell when Forza and Halo both arrive in November. It could even possibly outsell PS5

The next 2 years will be a interesting time to say the least.

I don’t understand why folks are so reactionary about the xbox series s and xbox series x selling basically exactly how Phil said internally they expected them to sell for the first two years in relation to each other . in general there are way too much jumping to conclusions on what’s very little data and in a period that if folks haven’t noticed is very nonstandard to how things usually are and where tons of very bad conclusions could be reached if you want to be disingenuous or over interpretive with data . for instance , as of now xbox series as a whole isn’t outpacing xbox one in the US , i guess all those changes microsoft has made to the xbox compared to 2013 were bad actually … wait no that’s a silly assumption to make , but one that could easily be made without looking at you know the actual context of data and being selective with the data you have .

Fundamentally outside of catastrophic situations like the 3ds having to be price cut 6 months after release or the demonstrable fall off of xbox one in jan 2014 which led also to a price cut / removal of kinect several months later or the wii u, there’s very little about the first year of sales that’s indicative of anything beyond “maybe this system isn’t a failure / maybe this system will be bigger than expected “. To be clear, i am frustrated with this on the other end too , where folks are taking what’s at this point very limited and specific info about ps5 and already crowning it the best selling system of all time.

4 Likes

Bottom line is nobody knows how the Series S will do. We’ve never had a lower specced moderl release at the same time as the big boy with such a price and spec differential. We’ve also never had the technology to really make such a move work before now.

The fact is that now demand is higher for the X than the S. This is obvious. But unless someone knows the relative stock levels nobody can say how much higher demand is. We also know that of course MS expect the X to be the higher seller through year 1 and perhaps year 2 due to pent up demand and the hardcore gamer mostly wanting the higher spec box. The question and intangible that nobody knows the answer to yet is then how does the Series S do as the broader market kicks in. As a 2 year old lower specced machine we simply do not know at that point how it will perform because we’ve never seen that. We don’t know how price adjustments of it and other consoles will impact on it nor of course do we know what happens with the gaming market generally. We can all guess it will sell gangbusters or that it won’t sell at all but its literally just a guess. You can look at it two ways 1) its potentially vulnerable to price reductions of other systems given one assumes the S has a very limited scope for price reduction itself and 2) its mere presence as a lower priced option for the next few years will catapult it to huge numbers as it simply is the only low priced home console option. I can’t call which way it goes. Console buying is always a bit unpredictable with new things in the market especially.

1 Like

If people are buying Switch consoles just to play sub 720p games at 24fps Im sure the S will sell just fine with the added boost of game pass and a bigger library.

9 Likes

The S will start outselling the X in 2022 when supply is bigger, there are no stock problems and games like Redfall, Starfield, Halo and Forza are out.

Also can we stop acting like Spain is a small market for Xbox or something? The Xbox One sold 500,000 units there, it’s a very significant amount for a country with 46 million people, even if it’s much less than PS4 (this is Sonyland).

Apologies in advance, but that reminded me of this…

Also completely agree with you.

1 Like

ITs not my first launch but we’ve never had a launch like this in the past.

What are you basing it off? There has never been a console with 2 distinctly different versions at launch.

awful comparison. People have to buy the switch to play Nintendo games. They don’t have a choice. Consumers have a choice of whether to buy a digital only system with 512GB SSD space for 300 or shell out 200 more for double the memory triple the power and have a physical disc drive.

I get peoples enthusiasm for the Series S. But acting like this thing will easily outsell the Series X long term based on Price alone is a bit Naïve. Theres no evidence for that at all. We don’t have history to tell us a weaker cheaper version of the same console will sell more when they’ve launched together. WE do have evidence that RIGHT NOW the Series X is consistently selling more and will continue to do so.

We have evidence that it will continue to do so?

1 Like