Xbox Series consoles to top NPD in revenue for the first time in June

Well right now monthly sales suggests it is. You don’t have evidence otherwise. My evidence is the sales right now.

NPD has Xbox outselling PS in terms of $$$. Now if we add up prices.

PS5 = 900 bucks (500+400) Xbox SX = 800 (500 + 300)

So the amount of consoles sold for xbox would have to not only be higher in raw units but also 10% higher than it would be even adding on the units sold of each.

That suggests to me Series X was the best selling next gen system by a large margin.

It will be interesting to see how Series S has done vs the Ps5 Digital. PS5 digital is 100 bucks more but its essentially still a standard PS5.

You yourself admitted that this is the first time we’ve had something like this. Why not just acknowledge that right now the XSX is selling better but nobody knows what long term trends will be?

4 Likes

Because other people is saying the series s will for sure sell more because of data based on price and how people want cheap things.

I’m making an educated guess on what will happen. And that educated guess is I don’t see how the demand for the Series X falls below that of the Series S.

And when you say “long term” Consoles have mid gen upgrades now. MS might decide to phase the Series S out if they see 3rd parties not supporting it correctly.

Theres a lot of question marks surrounding the series S. Until the Xbox one generation of games goes away we wont know how this thing will do.

When Starfield launches next year on Series XS and PC only only then can we gauge hw truly viable the S is. If games are significantly underperforming (not just resolution but framerate) then MS will have a big decision to make for the long term. If MS want to bring Xcloud to consoles and have full Series X hardware support for cloud games…whats stopping people buying cheap Xbox one S systems which will most likely drop to 200-250 and playing Series X versions of games from the cloud?? Theres a lot of question around the S.

They have no such decisions or questions on the X. X will last the entire generation even if theres upgrades in the future. I can’t say for sure in 5-6 years time the Series S will even be in production.

I’m convinced MS will phase the Series S out especially if the install base isn’t big enough. They’ll just put out the X digital and see that people don’t mind spending the extra 100 bucks.

Xbox outsold the PS5 in units too in NPD. There is nothing in that data at all you can use to determine the splits of S/X consoles so don’t even try.

Like I say there is absolutely nothing to go on. You or I have no idea what happens when the 499 price point of the X is saturated in the market. We know Xbox have said it’s unlikely they can reduce prices of the hardware like in past generations or at least not at the speed of past generations due to stickier chip prices. That also probably makes mid gen refreshes less likely. So I’m a year or twos time when the 499 purchasers all have their console and the usual price reduction and offers can’t happen what happens to the market who normally buy at cheaper prices? You and I don’t know.

It’s not there yet, but we are in the early adopter phase of the console generation. People who buy in the first two years of a console’s life are the enthusiasts, and end up making a small proportion of the total consoles sold over the course of a generation. It’s once we’re into the third year that the mass consumer phase starts up, and most consoles in a generation will always be sold in the last few years once RRPs have dropped considerably.

Come the latter part of the generation, the Series S could end up being sold for $199, and if they get it as low as that I think they will fly off the shelves from parents buying for their kids.

The Switch/Switch Lite comparison isn’t really germane here, as there is a difference in functionality there. It’s a choice between a handheld, or a hybrid that can be used as either a handheld or a home console. There is a clear value proposition to the full fat Switch.

The choice between a Series X and Series S is more akin to the difference between the higher-end and lower-end versions of a cell phone line. You aren’t getting any extra functionality, just performance, and every game is available on both. To a parent buying their child a console, that’s not going to mean as much as it is to the kid who gets to play it. There is also the matter of emerging markets where the high end model is simply too expensive to consider.

I think the Series S has a place in MS’ strategy, and that it will show its worth later in the generation. It just doesn’t quite fit in this early enthusiast phase.

This is bad news for Sony and not because of some fanboy fantasy. We all know what Microsoft’s game pipeline looks like. Most of the heavy hitters will start hitting fall 2022 and then after that it’s a AAA game per quarter. Sony really has to take advantage of this time when MS has a bit of a games drought to start stacking a massive lead. Once Starfield hits, we’re talking about Xbox 360 on steroids at that point.

The problem is that Sony’s facing the same issue as MS. This time it’s not just a lack of titles in development or lack of exclusives it’s that everyone lost a year as far as game development is concerned and C19 screwed up supply chains. So Sony is losing it’s opportunity to take advantage of Xbox’s game drought.

3 Likes

Halo is the first blow, Starfield is the last nail.

I’m sorry dude. You can deny it all you want. X outsold the S in NPD. I dont care if you think i can’t use anything in the data. I’m using common sense. The Switch is 300 bucks but sold the most units but less than Xbox $$$. Xbox isn’t winning in dollar sales by having a larger margin of sales for the S. X is whats driving those Dollar sales numbers. Theres no two ways about it. Otherwise the Series consoles doesn’t outperform PS5 in Dollars. Its a shame we don’t have raw numbers.

We do however have latest Famitsu sales

Hardware sales are the best for Xbox yet and for the first time ever the Series X outsells the Digital PS5. PS5 sales plummet. ITs all relative to availability of course

1. Switch – 53,530 (16,600,519)
  2. Switch Lite – 11,577 (3,959,196)
  3. PlayStation 5 – 8,640 (753,017)
  4. Xbox Series X – 1,503 (46,796)
  5. PlayStation 5 Digital Edition – 1,467 (146,431)
  6. New 2DS LL (including 2DS) – 584 (1,168,563)
  7. Xbox Series S – 371 (16,238)
  8. PlayStation 4 – 295 (7,797,482)

Consoles sales with lifetime sales in Brackets. Series X has sold more in the last 2 months than the previous 5 months(not including launch month)

More availability is helping MS. Just need those JRPG’s and more gamepass advertisments.

I don’t understand what you’re talking about. PS5’s are selling out. I don’t know what Sony could do? MS are also selling out despite having a “drought”. And Sony have put out Rachet, Demons Souls, Spiderman and Returnal as major first party titles. 3 of them being PS5 exclusive. MS have 0 and will be 1 1st party next gen exclusive with Flight Simulator.

This generation isn’t about Sony. Its about what MS do right. Not what Sony do wrong. Even though I dislike Sony a lot, they haven’t done much wrong.

Also I doubt Series will sell 360 levels. Back then it was all about the 360. You don’t have ot buy a series console to enjoy gamepass or MS’s games not as much as 360 gen…where if you wanted to Play Lost odyssey, Halo reach or Halo 3 you had to buy a 360. These games didn’t come out on PC right away.

Some of the posts in here are so short sighted. It’s obvious MS will gain back some market share in the U.S. and other regions which is not exactly good news for Sony. The new consoles don’t have to do as well as the 360 to be considered a success.

4 Likes

Series will sell better than the 360 IMO. With Bethesda, Obsidian, Fable, PD and Kojima… People will buy it like hotcakes.

2 Likes

Hard to say I think the Xbox ecosystem will for sure top 360. Meaning I see gamepass subs blowing past 360 sales. I also see games having higher player counts than ever before. So we will see way more engagement with the Xbox ecosystem and it being larger than ever.

However, like @GoroMajima mentioned you will not need a Series console to play the exclusives or use gamepass. He has a legitimate point there. So that will hurt console sales but make more ppl included in the Xbox ecosystem. Overall it is a smart strategy.

I think the whole sales metric is dated. It reflects an older time and past attitudes. Just like game sales are not as important in the age of gamepass neither will console sales. It is all about engagement.

If PS5 outsells Xbox Series S|X but more ppl are in gamepass and Xbox games have more engagement (higher player counts). Will it really matter, if PS5 sold more?

1 Like

It won’t be hard for MS to gain back Marketshare. The Xbox one basically lost every region possible even the main ones the 360 won. The North American Market will see Xbox surge. PS4 doubled the Xbox One in NA. Theres no way in hell PS5 is doing that the demand for Xbox is way too high this gen.