Xbox has been the "market leader in North America for 3 quarters in a row amongst next gen consoles" says Satya Nadella

It is across all Xbox consoles. So pick whatever console generation sold the most between Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One and that gives you the absolute lowest number. That is what all analysts did.

Here is their tweet in response to an article at Eurogamer going off the PR statement in a New York Times interview with Phil Spencer.

Daniel Ahmad’s comment:

This would put Xbox Series X|S over 12 million shipped according to our estimates

Eurogamer Statement:

Xbox Series X/S is Microsoft’s fastest-selling Xbox console generation, despite supply constraints

Xbox PR statement:

In a wide-ranging New York Times interview, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft had “at this point… sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes.”’

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1480856801688047617

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1480848596132114435?t=AjbA3rS0TpKUCqH6XsBOjg&s=19

2 Likes

What I was saying wrt the generation is that Xbox One was the fastest selling Xbox to that point prior to Series iirc. Hence, that is what it’s been compared to.

If you want to argue it was somewhat more than 12 mil as of Jan 1st, go for it, but I’m still not seeing much wrt actual numbers behind that conclusion. 12mil as is would be 860k/month. If you set aside half of that for NA, which maps reasonably well to typical Xbox regional sales shares iirc, that would be really strong as is for an average. If they kept similar pace for 2022 they would be right at 17mil thru June. Note that if Series was outselling PS5 globally Satya would have said so, but he didn’t. He specified it is only for NA for this specific comment.

I believe the difference between consoles is 4-5m at best

Yup, as was said earlier, all we have to go off of is based on a PR statement.

1 Like

Well deserved. If they can keep it up in the states while also improving their sales in other regions like Europe and Japan, that will hopefully help swing more support from some of the studios that don’t always release games on Xbox.

The Xbox One started off strong but that momentum tapered off after the first year or so. It’s good to see that’s not the case now. Will be interesting to see what they reach at the end of the generation. Wouldn’t be surprised if it exceeds the 360 sales.

8 Likes

Completely agree. Given how great the Series consoles have been selling this year, in spite of a weak first-party lineup, I think it bodes well for the platform’s long-term health. Even more so when XGS, Bethesda, and ABK have a consistent supply of new software for Game Pass. GP’s growth in this period, I think, really hits home how popular a subscription model like it can be even for back catalog and indies (as devs for the latter have stated numerous times).

3 Likes

Yeah I think it should be around 16million+ and shipments probably in the 18 million+

I dont see xbox beeing just 2million consoles behind PS5 (if we assume xbox is 20 millions and ps5 22 millions)

1 Like

No way its 20 and that would be an unrealistic prediction anyway. Just by doing the numbers and how many they’ve shipped its still behind PS5 simply due to how many consoles sony are making compared to MS

Also factor in European market. For Xbox to be around 20m you’re saying its ahead of PS5 in Europe which would be completely false. Even ignoring vgcharts, the hardware sales in Europe has Series doing way better than Xbox One but not at the level of a PS5. Which is still fine

Xbox being 4-5 Million behind PS5 at this stage is an achievement in itself for MS…for a system that hasn’t had stream of AAA console exclusives and every major game being on PC day 1 as well. Xbox is doing incredible numbers regardless.

We do know the NA market is tight and MS would if it hasn’t already surpassed PS5. Everywhere else its not going to outsell PS5. But its doing considerably better.

2 Likes

We have actual data from various regions. Enough to have an estimate. Famitsu, UK charts french/german charts and using the data that if Sony sells x amount xbox has probably sold y amount.

Now whether Xbox has sold 15m units or 14 or 16…that’s harder to gauge. But there’s a difference between saying its sold 20m and 15.

Sort of, but we don’t have any actual sales numbers from Microsoft directly including preorders or any sold since then to name but one limitation.

3 Likes

Here’s the issue

We don’t know how many Microsoft are shipping or selling. They won’t tell us

4 Likes

Exactly. And considering how significantly their supply issues appear to have improved (it’s still in stock at Amazon.ca, 28 days since the first report) I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Microsoft doing significantly better than most people think.

1 Like

Basically as soon as Microsoft finished updating their data centers with Series X hardware they started outselling Playstation.

1 Like

If the situation were reversed and it was PlayStation that sacrificed consoles to build out its cloud, then I guarantee PlayStation would be counting those as “sold”. PlayStation would just include those servers in its console sales total.

This is just a hypothetical though because we all know PlayStation will never sacrifice consoles for a cloud so basically there will never be a PS5 cloud.

2 Likes

MS’s software backwards compatibility guarantees that every time they go through a server upgrade at the start of a generation, everything they’ve built still works while new content keeps getting added. This is something they’ve worked at for a long time and a problem for Sony until they figure it out as well. The moment MS unlocks 4k HDR streaming honestly they’ll be in the best position imo of all cloud streaming platforms.

MS is building for the future in terms of cloud while Sony seems mostly focused on the present and I think it’ll pay dividends for MS when the shift to cloud happens.

1 Like

Sony already did that with the PS3.

1 Like

I consider the consoles to be tied. This is my reasoning…

Also I wouldn’t be too concerned about Xbox consoles being overstocked because every big game release (Saints Row, MultiVersus) will just empty shelves again. Come Christmas there will be empty shelves.

Imagine when those PS3s will start failing how much it will cost to replace them. Manufacturing old components in low quantities must not be very cost effective. Hopefully they’re working on a solution to that problem.

1 Like

not again with this unsourced fan fiction about millions of Xbox chips in server racks :roll_eyes: