Xbox has been the "market leader in North America for 3 quarters in a row amongst next gen consoles" says Satya Nadella

2 Likes

Imagine how many they’d sell with COD as an exclusive then!

I’m using Welfare’s estimates. He seems pretty reliable imho. It’ll be wild if Xbox continues winning in NA thru year end. If they can somehow pull that feat off, they will have easily survived PS’s biggest games hitting across 2022 and weathered that competition without even releasing their major games yet. That would speak extremely well to the brand strength Xbox has recovered since last gen.

I think ppl are way undervaluing the impact it will have just being day 1 on GP. That alone will be enormous imho.

6 Likes

Plus associated marketing + bundles + exclusive content (who knows maybe Campaigns could be exclusive to Xbox!) But anyway I don’t want to turn this into another CoD exclusivity talk that veers off-topic lol

3 Likes

Battle Passes for every season for GPU would be huge in itself….

2 Likes

Campaigns almost certainly won’t be exclusive imho, but early/exclusive betas (once the PSX deals end), battle pass GPU perks and like you said just that general marketing push will be huge. Next year even ignoring ABK stuff will be huge for Xbox too. In early 2023 things should really kick off for the brand. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I reckon they’re much higher than that myself

2 Likes

16.6 mil :eyes:

1 Like

I mean, I guessed 18 mill back a couple of months ago or more

So based on my own guess, if I said 18 back then, I’d be surprised if they’re not over 20 now. Again only based on the number I guessed back then

3 Likes

Haha guess

It was thought to be 12mil or so in January, as per various analysts. That seems a reasonable estimate for the timeframe, and 16-17mil would still be almost a mil per month. 18mil thru March would have been 2mil per month, which seems super high. Keep in mind that would far outpace their sales up til that point even with a really strong 2021.

Which was based entirely around absolute lowest numbers to satisfy a vague PR statement.

The actual analysts I’m referring to aren’t using that as their methodology for the figures they are putting together. They aren’t just sitting around waiting for PR statements to drop.

I haven’t seen any accounting for how many Microsoft has been able to sell directly at any time and especially since the massive stock availability starting this year for the North America and UK markets.

2 Likes

True, their stock has been reliably good for a lil while now it seems. Hence them doing notably better than Sony has in NA. But we dunno anything about scale in that regard either. Just that it’s better than what Sony can get into the market. I’m doubtful that they would have been selling more than 180-200k per week on any sort of consistent basis even with the supply. In the hayday of the 360 during spring quarters it was closer to 500k or so per month iirc.

It wasn’t thought to be 12 million

It was said to be at least 12 million based on outpacing the 360 (or was it Xbox One?) to the same point.

The issue with “at least” being, that the “at most” could be literally anything.

4 Likes

I guess it’s good news.

And some people honestly believe MS wants to stop selling console hardware. It’s a key part of their gaming business.

Would need to check but I think it was Xbox One actually. I was talking about Daniel Ahmad’s comment btw, where he said their firm’s estimates put Series at above 12mil thru year end '21. I’d say 4-5 mil in 6 months is about right given what that would suggest monthly sales are (667k-833k) from that baseline 12mil figure. Welfare always does a solid job with his estimates too. I don’t see any evidence yet suggesting the 12mil figure was lowballing anything or that sales would be higher than 17mil LTD.

I think they are more likely than not to be ~4mil behind PS5 atm and that lead could possibly nearly disappear by year’s end. They hit 20mil in beginning of June, and Xbox would be at 16-17mil thru end of June using my guesstimates. It is far from the ratios many presumed we would see either way (2:1 was commonly cited as expected, for some absurdly dumb reason).

2 Likes