Xbox has an expectations problem and it’s self inflicted

It reflects poor management on Phil’s part. They should have started manufacturing earlier.

/s

That is the definition of fanboyism. I feel even though we are on an Xbox centric forum- they still need to be accounted for.

Think of it this way - if you and your wife says everything is perfect and never argue it becomes a very unhealthy relationship that will break, this is why couples NEED to argue or talk about problems to move forward and improve their bond.

I’m not saying bad things about Xbox because I hate them, on the contrary- I love Xbox. I just don’t want them to keep up with the bad habits.(How’s that for an analogy?)

They are now seemingly going in the right direction, but it’s still worth the discussion. At first I hated making this thread, but after seeing people talking about things(civilly), I’m very happy to have made it. Not one person in this thread is “wrong”.

2 Likes

I think issue is insiders tend to leak xbox content and they usually overhype it or make the reveal have less of an impact. Like while I am super hyped for Perfect Dark and Fable, but the reveal had less of an impact since they have been leaked for years. Meanwhile even though just a logo, but news that god of war is coming soon to PS5 got me more hyped because there weren’t many leaks for it, heck even Horizon had less leaks than those xbox title

Lastly, I just want to state insiders do overhype things for microsoft then it adds added pressure when it doesn’t deliver. I know July showcase isn’t looked that fondly, but I remember seeing so much hype from insiders and them even talking about how halo looked great graphically, and then it fell flat. I just think insiders need to have more accountability or there should be some type of tier list similar to how football (soccer) works for news

1 Like

I didn’t hear a single peep about Horizon 2 CG trailer. It’s becoming clear to me, it seems like the industry hasn’t deemed most of Xbox’s games as great so people don’t have faith in a CG trailer. Because Sony has released critically acclaimed games they get a pass.

I do 100% think there is an industry wide slight against Xbox in the sense Xbox must do more to have a game be considered good, I don’t think the industry hates Xbox not at all but because back in the day it was the new kid on the block people have always had a soft spot for Sony.

If a game comes out on Xbox and is rated 80 on MC and is 8 hours long and Sony releases a game that’s 80 on MC and 8 hours long people would go out and say the Sony one is better even though critically they are view around the same value.

Let me get this straight I don’t think everyone is against Xbox and out to get them at all, I do feel there is an underlying bias against Xbox in a unconscious sort of way, if you get what I mean.

I’m scared games are only going to be considered great or have huge critical success if they are 3rd person action adventure type of game. It won’t be long for games to get very samey if that’s the case, even now they are getting there.

I want Xbox to make the games they want to make and not be locked down to some arbitrary genre or setting because other devs are doing it.

Do we really want Xbox to copy exactly what Sony does? The industry would turn into shit if they both were doing the exact same thing.

So many great games coming yet we are always back here moaning about something, I do think some users have bad intentions and not just trying to be critical. Gameplay hasn’t even been shown yet and people are already writing off the game, that’s how nuts it is for MS.

If they showed gameplay and the first person view was awful and looked bad I would completely understand but people are moaning about the game over the game being 1st person and the hilarious thing is they haven’t even said that themselves nor have said there is no 3rd person view. That’s how quick people are to jump on games now, people are so quick to outrage it’s ridiculous.

For all we know it could be both.

3 Likes

Horizon 2 wasn’t CG

Because that’s not an undeniable true that people just need to accept.

Ms from the start said their goal was to launch the games as they were ready and that SX would simply be the best place to play them.

It doesn’t have as many exclusive next gen only games (and to be honest by that metric even ps5 launch was a disgrace) but it has more enhanced games on SX than there are on ps5. With my backlog and gamepass I also have literally hundreds of games to play.

So, why should I care that there aren’t many games I can play only on SX when there are thousands of games that I can play on it, and they almost universally all runs best on SX, and I’m still getting new games all the time?

Also, they invested and not a little in making a platform that allows for that both technologically and business wise. So why shouldn’t they take advantage of that?

Your example is flawed. If you talk it out in a relationsship there is reason something can change. But complaining on this forum will change nothing in regards to development timelines of Microsofts games.

1 Like

Well it certainly wasn’t gameplay either, my point still stands.

4 Likes

Anyone trying to bring launch sales into takes on how microsoft are doing at the moment clearly don’t know what they are talking about or again dont care about context. The number 1 thing that can be gleaned from NPD right now is that All systems sold what they shipped, which in xbox case we have an interview stating how they started production later than Sony did because they were waiting for RDNA 2 full feature set. The other thing you can clearly glean from NPD especially based on software performance is that third party games carried launch on both systems, Demon’s Souls placed 10th with nearly the whole month recorded for it, at 70 dollars on a revenue chart where various older and cheaper games performed higher than it (in some cases without digital sales recorded), other first party launch games like Sackboy didnt perform much better, both could have been saved for later months cause most everyone right now are buying Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty. But none of this changes that when it comes to sales all systems sold what they shipped and in the case of new gen systems clearly produced less systems than anyone expected, and spread said shipments to far more countries than they did last time.

1 Like

That beginning (the crabs on the beach) could be, because it had a visual fidelity way way higher than anything else on the trailer. Could be a mix of footage from different development states as well, which makes sense given covid and all.

I think there is a HUGE difference between showing CG and anything real time. Gameplay is preferred but real time cinematics are not that far off. Both are pretty representative of what you’re going to see on your screen.

CG takes no technical constraints into account.

MS has done both and has been criticised, which is exactly my point. In the eyes of some nothing they do will ever be impressive. Look at Hellblade 2 for example.

2 Likes

Hellblade and Forza were technically in-engine, which to me means that it probably looks like that but not at frame rates worth showing. Could be dialed up settings or just need optimization. It is CG-lite.

1 Like

Not true. However, the amount of CG that MS has been showing means we are going to be waiting a long while for some of these games.

2 Likes

I agree that none of these CG games will be here before 2022.

Respectful, non spam discussion about opportunities of Xbox are allowed. It’s a balance trying to control strategic trolling. If anyone feels there are opportunities with the modding here, message me and I’ll be happy to discuss with other mods how to do better.

Keep in mind this is also a forum of Xbox leaning gamers enthusiastic about the product. Being more excited than negative doesn’t mean anyone is drinking kool-aid. If people weren’t happy with it, odds are low to be here at a generational transition. This is a great time for people to switch platforms if they’re unhappy.

The majority of the opportunities for Xbox are based on actions (or inactions) from over three years ago. Most enthisasts are well aware. Most of us have said our piece at some point along the way and have stayed on either because of other things they’re doing well (Game Pass) or due to believing in the roadmap.

4 Likes

Anyone can criticize, doesn’t mean their criticism has any merit though.

3 Likes

I think the problem is they built the world’s most powerful console and then did absolutely nothing to show it off. You can’t rely on third parties to maximize your launch console performane. While I’m glad they invest most of their money into GP and studios instead of just money hatting timed exclusives like Sony does, they probably should have invested in something to have at launch and not put all their eggs in the Halo basket.

Long term I don’t doubt the XSX will be great, but it’s not easy to go up against Sony with Demons Souls showing off what the PS5 can do and reports of third party games running better on the PS5 is a bad look at launch.

1 Like

Well neither was Hellblade 2 but it wasn’t gameplay either. I just want people to (as the kids say) "keep that same energy ".

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone is saying there shouldn’t be critical discussion. But can the whole console war thing not just go and die? There are 3 hugely successful consoles operating in their own way and all grabbing the market by the proverbials. We don’t need every discussion to become a competition and nor should business be seen as winning and losing. I find these discussions hugely off putting. I love Sonos but I have never once discussed whether they’ve sold more than Bose or whatever…:.

3 Likes