Xbox has an expectations problem and it’s self inflicted

It’s almost like this forum has become OtherEra but the Xbox version. You cannot criticize Xbox or MS or anyway here or else you will have a bunch of people who are drinking the green kool-aid telling you to be positive about every single thing Xbox does every two seconds. I think there should be room for healthy criticism and to express personal disappointment with the brand as well. You CAN be a fan of Microsoft but also acknowledge their shortcomings in your opinion, not sure if people on this board get that and just group everything negative as concern trolling or whatever.

On topic, I don’t think the expectations are set by them but set by their competition(Sony) plus the fact that Xbox fans have been told “Don’t worry the games are coming!” since like 2014-2015 iirc. 4-5 years of being told that, plus not coming out the gate swinging this gen adds to this apparent expectation problem.

Plus XGS are sitting on so many dormant IPs that they are doing nothing about. PD news is GREAT I will say, but Banjo Kazooie should have BEEN a thing by now. Killer Instinct 2 should have been a no brainer as well but its nowhere in sight or ANY fighting game period. Not investing in new IPs and not releasing old IPs just leads to the narrative that they don’t have any exclusives. It’s changing so that’s a plus but until then, l’ll enjoy the occasional Gamepass gem and my 3rd Parties.

Alright mate, lets cool down. First plenty games are announced, yet you and many are still complaining.

Fable, Halo Infinite, Everwild, State of Decay, Avowed, Flight Sim, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Perfect Dark, Forza and a dozen global publishing games like Stalker, Bright Memory and soo on…

Are many of the listed games only seen in CGI? Sure. But, what else you gonna do? Show a horrible looking dev build?

Hell even Playstation has yet to show their true next gen line up…Everyone is doing CGI, because you cant do anything else beyond 2022.

Also its not like Xbox still will have a fantastic 2021? I mean Halo?

The thing is this argument about xbox has no games is getting lame. There is no more a if problem only a when problem and even this is changing really fast next year.

5 Likes

That’s not true. A lot of people dislike how Xbox handles marketing and releases weird statement like they don’t want to confuse customers with multiplat releases and still ship ori and the will of wisp on switch. Another example is that every negative news about Halo/343 will question the leadership team of 343.

6 Likes

Cool down? I used no aggressive language or any language that cemented that in anyway. Or is it because I said something negative about Xbox that I am being angry?? Lol those two things are not congruent. You just proved my point about this forum.

Also, I’m very aware of what Xbox has coming in the future. That does nothing for me now and did nothing for me when we were first told “just wait on the games guys.” Not much coming next year that will peak my interest but Halo. Everything I wanted to play is probably 2022 and out. Kinda wack when I just dropped 500 on a console figuring it would at least be the best place to play 3rd parties and even THATS not true at the moment. Something else I have to wait on too I guess lol.

Anytime I’m disappointed by something Xbox related i remember that gamepass exists and my backlog is full of games im so excited to play. Gamepass IS Xbox to me now.

2 Likes

Wasnt meant in bad faith but your accusations on the forum I dont like.

Well yeah that might be true for you but this cant be changed out of thin air. Back when xbox had no studios and games in development (2017) the concern was right but now not anymore chest pices has been set and we have to wait. Nothing will change that and thats why these same concerns getting annoying and old. No reason to bring it up really at least repeadeatly. Thats why this post gets the reaction it gets.

3 Likes

So last night was brilliant for Xbox.

Instead of under performing with expectations, they gave us what was promised. They said set expectations a bit low and we got a bit of a surprise. Much better than expecting a lot and receiving CGI.

It’s also good, then, that PS didn’t “Show Off” last night. If anything, this has been one of the best shows for Xbox. Sure, PS won most of the awards, but for the reveals/media/press side of things - for the first time in a long time Xbox pulled ahead of PS.

Let’s hope this is a sign of things to come. Now we need to wait for the next showcase - Xbox might start trading blows with PS due to the amount of studios, however, we do need to keep in mind Quantity!=Quality.

Will 2021 be the year? I’m not so sure, 2022 perhaps will be more like it.

4 Likes

I need to speak my piece on this topic

Firstly, yes, every event that MS does or has an appearance at, people have high expectations. Do I think this is because Microsoft hype up their events or set up expectations. No i do not. I think the major issue with Microsoft is because of all the duds and disappointment that came from the last gen, people are out there looking for tgat next big thing from Xbox, the thing thats gonna put them back on top and make them ‘relevant’ again. People hype up these events because they see the steps MS are doing in the right direction so think that at each event theyre gonna shos that world changing trailer that will change everyones mind. Weve had a couple potentially great projects announced since x019 last year(Everwild, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, Perfect dark even State of decay 3, and probably some others), yet because of the lack of gameplay, these announcements have underwhelmed, and people make all sort of hyperbolic statements over this, because of MSs position. Sony havent faired much better, theyve shown some gameplay for stuff like R and C and horizon 2, yet with wven with god of war 2 theyve shown us a title and tried to billy bullshit us the game is coming out in a 365 day period. But beacuse theyve had a good track record of exclusives last gen people are overly excited for them to deliver again this upcoming gen. Even with stuff like hardware, the series X hardware issues that people are claiming are false marketing or a major fubar from MS, this are the games in question performing slightly better on the other hardware, something you wouldnt notice unless you were direct comparing the two. PS5 has had major technical issues, ive heard lots of reports of the console hard crashing on people and memory issues, my man Karak from ACG literally had his ps5 brick entirely during his reviewand even though these had been acknowledged, people shrug these issues off as ‘So what’. Ive had one guy who said his console had hard crashed several yet he still thinks the PS5 is his favourite console of all time

2 Likes

2021 could very well be the year of reveals though. I think we’ll see gameplay for Hellblade 2, Avowed, Starfield, Wolfenstein, Project Mara, Forza, As Dusk Falls, Halo, Psychonauts 2 and Flight Sim. Iffy on Fable, Everwild, State of Decay 3, Age of Empires 4 and Perfect Dark.

Plus there will be the reveals of Bethesda titles and hopefully some of the other games in the oven (mostly Compulsion and Global Publishing).

We criticize when needed.

4 Likes

Why does everything have to be a competition? I don’t go and buy a Pepsi and hope Coca Cola have a bad Christmas marketing campaign. It’s really really weird and this sort of oneupmanship just needs to end.

Phil says it best. Doing well doesn’t mean someone else has to fail. Everyone in the industry is thriving. Let’s celebrate that and stop trying to make fake competition out of everything.

4 Likes

Xbox fans have been beaten over the head with criticism now for 2 decades on every game forum and social media outlet in existence. Their is no shortage of valid criticism or obvious trolling being given to Xbox.

Heaven forbid Xbox fans could have a place that actually skews in a positive direction for Xbox fans.

7 Likes

I don’t think that’s true. Many folks here criticize, but there’s a difference in how and what is criticized.

Were there points Ms could have improved? Yeah. We all wanted to see gameplay, but I also think it’s quite clear on everything that happened this year, plus Ms decisions to avoid crunch that made they skip gameplay trailers and demos because they create unnecessary burden on the team already dealing with the pandemic and WFH.

But then there’s a complete out of touch criticism. Ms literally had THE biggest year in the history of gaming regarding announcements.

They announced games after games, multiple AAAs, in many genres, brought back loved franchises. Delivered over 15 1st party games and over 60 day one on gamepass. Made gamepass an even more insane value by adding EA play. Acquired one of the biggest publishers. And somehow people in here were criticizing as they haven’t done anything the entire year or even NEEDED to deliver on TGA otherwise they would get rolled up by the competition. And that’s just… Being out of touch with reality and putting Xbox under an impossible to meet standards and higher above anyone else has to fill.

I mean, of course that would never reflect on sales because it’s Playstation. But Ms completely dominated the conversation this year. They started talking about earlier. They talked more over the course of the year. They announced more stuff, and they had bigger announcements. The press somehow tries to ignore that and underhype anything Ms does and overhype Sony, and I find it nice to finally have a place in here where people can try to dispell that notion. Or at least argue about it without the conversation being reduced to lol shill or lol troll.

I do agree that some folks go too hard. We can discuss and argue but no need to attack and also, being constantly quoted and questioned is not necessarily being attacked, if the people replying are not attacking.

7 Likes

It REALLY boils down to if MS does not announce cinematic 3rd person over the shoulder action adventure games it doesn’t count.

MS related studios and 2nd parties had one of it’s best years ever and released several 90+ MC games on a steady pace all year. MS could have delayed and held onto all these games and artificially push them all out for Series X launch but that was not going to help anyone other than list war forum dwellers.

MS studios has high quality diverse games coming out all the time, forum dwellers ignore them and make excuses that they don’t count cause they don’t put out titles after titles of 3rd person walk sim Award bait.

Also as far as CG goes, for a brand new game reveal of or a reveal of a rebooted franchise it is perfectly fine to quick things off with a CG trailer to set the mood of the game. That’s usually how these things go where a game being announced for the first time gets a CG trailer and later once the game is further along in development you get gameplay reveals.

MS has bought a lot of studios and has a lot of NEW projects being kicked off now which is a great thing, but these projects being new means that all these reveal trailers will be mostly CG until later in the dev cycle.

Also it cannot be stressed enough how in a pandemic it is a waste of DEV time and resources to splinter off and try and create a gameplay demo. Dev resources are better spent making the actual game then tooling up a vertical slice gameplay trailer in the middle of a dev cycle.

6 Likes

And who gets to determine when we should collectively criticize something???

I’m aware, I’m an Xbox fan through and through which is WHY I’m so vocal about my frustrations with the brand. You aren’t going to speak about something you don’t give a damn about. Well, I won’t. And there’s nothing wrong with skewing things in a positive direction, but there’s a medium there as well. No balance just means blind fanboyism just dressed up in a green bow so it doesn’t seem as bad. It’s literally the opposite of OtherEra and that’s good either imo.

This place is fine, their is plenty of valid critiques of the Xbox brand here, it’s just this place isn’t a Sony troll haven like nearly every other gaming forum on the internet so by comparison it may look horribly skewed but the reality is every other damn gaming forum skews so heavily Sony that any reasonable Xbox discussion is nearly impossible to engage in.

That was one of the primary reason this forum was formed in the first place. Xbox fans did not have anywhere on the internet to go to have reasonable discussion of the Xbox brand without the trolling.

6 Likes

Well this was discussed heavily during launch now we are one month further and the discussion has moved on to what lies in the future. There have been threads about this but no point to repeat it now anymore.

1 Like

If they simply couldnt produce more consoles what do you do? Regardless if the console sold less on launch it is a healthy amount and it will rise.

The launch was a huge success by every single metric going. You are starting to sound as desperate as Donald Trump. Xbox have smashed it and their future is brighter than ever.

There isn’t a whole lot more to say. Their massive slate of games needs to now deliver. But that’s the same for everyone.

2 Likes