Xbox Games Showcase & Starfield Direct |OT| SPOILER FREE

Fuck, that sounds exciting. Especially after having finished Contrast and We happy Few. Both games have some very, very cool elements and a great atmosphere.

1 Like

More info is here from Jez, along with some concept art: New upcoming Xbox exclusives revealed: Project 'Midnight' from Compulsion and 'Pentiment' from Obsidian | Windows Central

I genuinely believe this game is going to blow people away, especially since the majority of the industry don’t know about it and/or forget about Compulsion.

3 Likes

concept art doesn’t always translate well to reality. it also doesn’t help that their latest game was mid reception-wise to gauge the average consumers looking forward for their next project.

2 Likes

Which is why the only way is up for Midnight. Compulsion have like doubled in size.

5 Likes

Very true about concept art.

But I am very curious about their next one. WHF had a few very cool things going for it, it probably should have been less open, more linear probably. But the atmosphere was spot on, visually nice, music great, voice acting was very good. Interesting story. Bigger team, bigger budget and more time can do wonders. Phil has been very vocal about it too.

The DLCs for WHF are a good indication of what they are capable of. They were all great, especially the last one.

3 Likes

That’s what I hear, that the main game isn’t entirely representative of the vision because it saw some major changes along the way and the DLC represents them with more focus.

Still need to give it a shot, but they are a talented crew of people over there.

Between Compulsion and InXile, do you guys think both of their next games get revealed, neither or one of the two? I’m hoping both but going with one of the two.

They talk about the games development in this documentary. They had problems with meeting different expectations. I reccomend it. It’s pretty interessting.

9 Likes

Impossible to say but expecting inXiles game being quite a bit bigger in scope, my guess is on Compulsion. Realistically though I think we see neither.

I would bet money on Compulsion, but I think it’s time for inXile as well. Honestly, we’re overdue for both announcements. That’s why I really, really hope they are announced with gameplay or in-engine footage and not just CG, because they’ve waited longer than usual to announce them. And we know Phil is sick of CGI trailers.

I reckon Midnight is 2024 and Cobalt is 2025, so it’s time to see them.

1 Like

I think Compulsion’s is more likely, but I doubt we’ll see actual gameplay. If we see InXile’s game, it’ll probably be a tone setting piece similar to what we saw from Fable. I hope we see both. I would love for Xbox to just throw everything out there and then say “See, we have games. Now shut the F*** up about it”. :smile:

2 Likes

If that’s all they have for inXile, don’t even bother. Wait until you have gameplay or in-engine footage. We have enough far out games with only CGI trailers. We don’t need more.

Do what Sony did with GoW 2018 and Horizon 1. Announce with gameplay, one or two years out from release. Especially with new IPs. People are sick of CGI trailers for new IPs that tell us nothing about the game. It only works for established franchises where we know what to expect.

For example, New Vegas 2? Totally fine to show a really early CGI trailer. But for Midnight and Cobalt, please announce with gameplay. They waited five years to announce them, surely they have something in-engine to show. If not, wait until you do.

2 Likes

Was looking up the release dates of WHF and it’s DLC and stumbled uppon that. Made me chuckle :smile:

I’m talking about the part about Australia btw.

2 Likes

Yeah, Compulsion is the studio that will most likely reveal their games. We’ll see what ends up being shown.

I tend to agree, but I just really want to know what they’re working on and would love to see a tone setting piece or a small 2-3 minute doc piece where people from InXile were explaining what the game is. I don’t think we see it for exactly the reasons you listed though.

Far as I can see the Starfield show is co branded with Bethesda and Xbox.

The main show is not.

I don’t think we are going to see anything in the main show from Bethesda.

I know people argue this is just a branding change but I’m not so sure.

Bethesda are preserving their branding so one would imagine they’d have their name associated with the show if they were showing anything?

1 Like

Why do I get a feeling Persona 6 is gonna be there

That alone will be better than PS Showcase because of the message of relationship. Icing will be Game Pass Day One.

3 Likes

I feel like they’ll announce that at a more Japan focused event, but who knows.