Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

One of the most interesting aspects of the ABK acquisition for me will be to see what MS plans for Crash Bandicoot and especially Crash Team Racing. Nitro-Fueled was a massive success, best launch month sales in the franchise history beating N. Sane Trilogy (that we know sold 10 million units in a year and a half).

I expect the future games to stay multiplatform (including Switch) but with the help of Game Pass (like what happened with Forza Horizon massively expanding its reach), all the crossovers marketing possibilities with XGS and Bethesda’s pools of IPs (and even beyond that like Warzone is doing, or why not Sonic), a bigger and more permanent Live-Service structure (trough a dedicated team working independantly of Call of Duty at Beenox), CTR has the potential to become MS’ own Mario-Kart.

It was a big hole in their portfolio in my opinion. I’m also curious to see what is that Wumpa League game (if it really exists).

4 Likes

That would be so stupid.

3 Likes

Indeed. I don’t expect anything different from what Bethesda does. Mojang aside, it is kinda sad that Moon Studios (that was bashing Xbox) contributed to that idea that Microsoft want to publish multiplatform games…

4 Likes

While I am on record saying I think Call of Duty is going to stay on everything. I don’t expect the same for Crash Bandicoot at all. If stuff like The Elder Scrolls VI is going to be exclusive I don’t think for a second that something like Crash Bandicoot would go fully multiplatform. I think it’s everything Call of Duty, already promised games (Diablo IV & OW2), and potentially remasters/remakes that will remain on PlayStation. Everything else will be exclusive.

2 Likes

MS and Xbox will be fools if they don’t plan crossovers for the future with xbox, Bethesda and Acti-Bliz-King IPs

No publisher or platform will have that many first party IPs on the table

5 Likes

Imagine those KI crossovers.

Very

CoD and big multiplayer games with microtransactions I understand but if you’re willing to take something like ES6 and Starfield as an exclusive why wouldn’t you do the same thing with something like Crash?

I semi think it’d make sense to keep the kart game multiplatform. It not being tied to a Nintendo platform is kind of what it would have going for it, might as well leverage than and try to dominate the non-Nintendo market. Be the kart game that everyone can play with their friends.

Though if it turned into a mascot thing that wouldn’t make sense.

Yeah, Crash CTR could have a lot of potential as a GAAS. Hope they see it and just dont let it die (and reelease the damm game on pc!!)

I’d be more than happy if they let Beenox make a follow up to the CTR remake, they did a fantastic job supporting that game and there was some great completely new content. Hell, if they wanted they could give CTR Nitro Fueled a little revival they could get a PC port/next gen upgrade out and release a few new seasons of content and see how it does on game pass.

Iam actually surprised nobody attempted to make a GaaS for a kart racer . Can easily add skins and karts, and even do crossover tracks and cars .

I’m firmly on team “even mainline CoDs will go game pass platform exclusive once the contracts are done”.

So I definitely do disagree that other IPs, like Crash or Spyro, would be multiplat. Even on the Switch. Heck, maybe especially on the switch. Damn hardware has needed an upgrade for like two years at this point.

But uh, back on topic, I too am very curious what MS does with these IPs. Hopefully we get a new Spyro game after the (assumed) success of the trilogy remake. I’ve always been more of a Spyro guy anyway…

9 Likes

Let’s talk about jrpgs coming to Xbox. In the promo video for the e3 conference they showed kojima, tabata and I think one more Japanese director, was that done on purpose or just coincidence.

Which promo video ? For the conference it was Kojima only and the extended conference had a Nakata developer.

i don’t think that was specifically about jrpgs but japanese games in general. and i think probably yeah, those devs are working on projects for xbox.

1 Like

I can’t remember which one but I remember seeing at least two known Japanese devs featured, I still don’t think it was coincidence.

I wouldn’t expect anything that isn’t CoD huge to be multiplat in the coming years, yeah.

Only a matter of time until even the mid/smaller sized one stop skipping the box imo. I know plenty of people still aren’t happy with the Japanase content on the platform, but I know Phil and co also feel the same way.

I’m definitely expecting an even bigger Japanese presence next June as well.

1 Like

It would be insane to think otherwise. In what mind does anyone think Xbox can spend 7.5B on making Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield exclusive but draw the line at guitar hero, Tony Hawk and Spyro? Honestly even Call of Duty is a stretch.

1 Like