Xbox Game Studios |OT9| How many games would a game studio make if a game studio could make games?

Yeah, it definitely doesn’t look something that can’t be done on Xbox One. Starfield on the other hand.

Really nice though to already have a trailer for it with some new bits in there, didn’t expect that.

I’m sure Deathloop and Redfall (and Ghostwire) could have been done on last gen, but they must have decided pretty early that it wasn’t worth the effort. Deathloop’s visuals were amazing (stylised of course, but highly detailed) and the systems complexity should not be understated, especially when you add open world co-op to the mix with Redfall.

Bethesda doesn’t really do cross-gen. The only examples I can think of were Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Evil Within 1.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen Deathloop myself yet, only in trailers but that makes sense then. But I just wish Redfall visually just looked more impressive, and clean. In this trailer too the aliasing can be noticed. Hope they’ll get that out. Dishonored 2 and DoTO to this day look really good.

1 Like

I think it looks great but I hear you. I think by the time it comes out it will look even more polished. Prey still looks fantastic on Series S and X.

5 Likes

Yeah, I don’t think this looks too hot tbh. At least I’ll play alone so I don’t have to see the other characters, they look very janky.

1 Like

Graphics isn’t the only part of a game’s technology. They could be doing things with systems, AI, physics, data streaming, etc, that can’t be done on Xbox One. Desthloop didn’t “look” next-gen either, but game director said it couldn’t be made on last-gen without being scaled back in integral areas of its design.

8 Likes

It’s a trailer for made with the beta or alpha footage from E3, so it not looking great reminds me of Gears 4 beta MP beta where it lacked a lot of texture needed to make the game look good.

8 Likes

really wondering if you guys actually played dishonored or prey considering this game looks better and the animation is on par lol.

2 Likes

Games released 5-10 years ago? I would hope so.

Not sure what that has to do with anything though. This is a new game on a new generation, we can have expectations. Not that it is a deal breaker in any way for me.

2 Likes

If you’re not sure what I said has to do with your post, adn you clearly aren’t seeking clarification: Simply don’t respond.

Ok… random post-guy.

2 Likes

The animations that I noticed not looking good are the ones that are in-gameplay enemy and teammate animations captured as a cutscene. Most likely those animations would look fine during gameplay but not necessarily when captured as a cutscene.

There’s also some aliasing there that should eventually look polished and stable by release.

Overall, you’re on point, this is what is expected from Arkane, and it’s an improvement, but they were never really gonna be making something that’s visually impressive and “next-gen”. They should just focus on making things look clean and performant.

1 Like

Hope Arkane finally stick to an engine this generation. They never settled on one. Went from Unreal to Void/IdTech to CryEngine to Void and to Unreal again. If they are, most likely they’re gonna settle on UE5 this gen.

Personally, I believe that Dishonored 2 looks better than Redfall but it could be because Dishonored does look more realistic than Redfall. I would have loved to see Redfall be realistic like The Division but with Vampires. Oh well. Definitely looking forward to playing it though as it should still be a great game.

1 Like

Dishonored 2 has that carricature look (for the characters) going, really nice and the locations look realistic. It’s quite impressive how it still looks now. Lighting wise Redfall probably is better.

Agreed. Hoping Redfall is February/March as it’s my most anticipated game from Microsoft’s first party studios.

Prey looked clean too. I think Dishonored 2 benefited a lot of from having environments with marble etc. Created nice reflections and clean look.

Yep, Prey definitely was clean. That’s why it really stands out in Redfall. But it should be fine in final release.

I played Prey on Xbox One S. It was not clean, and it performed like shit, and the loading times were so extremely bad. All those things are now fixed on the SX/S with FPS Boost, legit a full on remaster that makes the game play differently than before.

1 Like