Xbox Game Studios |OT3| Once more....with feeling (Part 1)

Nope and no impact.

1 Like

Because a lot of us like to own games we play and don’t like paying for subscriptions.

2 Likes

Hey guys, back from playing Yakuza 0 for 7 hours straight. What’d I mis- oh.

4 Likes

Yep

2 Likes

So uh… it’s 7:25 PM PST and I noticed Phil is not playing Destiny tonight.

Hopefully it’s because of emergency meetings.

There’s a thread for this. Take it there.

3 Likes

Probably ran out of money to renew his Gold subscription

11 Likes

Diverting this thread from the Gold discussion I want to talk about something I mentioned few days back. I don’t post here daily so I missed out on the replies to my post about more Xbox studios using id Tech instead of Unreal Engine. Most of the replies were about how id Tech is only good for FPS games and those studios want to work with Unreal Engine. I think everyone is missing the point.

Most Zenimax studios(MachineGames, Arkane Lyon, Tango Gameworks) use their own variation of id Tech for their games. Before they were bought by Zenimax id Tech was a competitor to Unreal Engine and could be licensed for 3rd party titles, it is very versatile. Valve’s Source Engine is also derived from id Tech. Most SIE studios proprietary engines are based on the engine tech from Naughty Dog’s ICE team. Rather than having to use Unreal Engine more XGS studios should be given the option to modify id Tech for their own needs, I don’t get why we just assume everyone wants to use Unreal Engine. Ofcourse there will be studios like Arkane Austin(or in Sony’s case Bend) that will stick to Unreal Engine anyway. Infact Microsoft should also license id Tech(and other proprietary engines they own) to 3rd parties like Unreal Engine.

1 Like

I think if UE doesn’t do the job then they should use a different engine. If it does do the job, why shift? UE seems to be on the forefront of technology, it is “standard” so less ramp up time for employees and contractors, MS has a corporate agreement for usage of UE. There seem like a lot of reasons to use it as long as it can get the job done.

I don’t think any team in XGS has to use Unreal, they choose to. It sounds like Forza/Playground use their own engines.

Not every studios can make a new engine from scratch if they don’t want to use Unreal Engine. Sony has ICE Team and Zenimax has id Tech, and they can use that to make their own engine instead of making everything from scratch. They can then customize it more for Xbox hardware like Sony studios do for Playstation.

Now we can move on to talking about Xbox studios again

8 Likes

Hey, it was indeed an emergency meeting!

3 Likes

You can tell your heartburn to fuck off now.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Yep just drop something new from Halo or a new game announcement with gameplay and this will be yesterday’s news so fast.

3 Likes

I’m going back to fuckin’ bed.

This has been one the longest and weirdest days man.

I’m just gonna start hiding posts if you all don’t start using the threads the way they’re meant to be used. If you wanna just shoot the shit, use the Community Thread, that’s what it’s there for.

9 Likes

So how much million players Halo Infinite MP could get on launch weekend now that FTP barrier is gone?

Oh thats a tough call

1 Like

It’s hard to say. I think worst case is 5 million players. Who know how big on pc it will be. I have a feeling halo launch Free on steam is gunna be big. Just looking at how mcc did on that platform. 6-7 years after it launched on console mcc did really well on steam.

If I had to guess my conservative estimate is 7 million players first week. But it could be 10-20 if they play their cards right.

2 Likes