Microsoft backtracks Xbox Live Gold price hike, also ends membership requirement for Free-to-Play Games [2021-01-22]

Not going to lie, I’m a little bummed by this.

Seeing the reactions on social media over the past few hours or so has kind of brought me around to

“Oh”

:expressionless:

Kinda feeling nervous about this one actually.

It isn’t really going to affect me so im just going to pop some popcorn and enjoy the show.

I do trust that Microsoft had some reason behind this choice. Microsoft doesn’t need to bleed their customers dry. If it was because they are doubling down on and pushing people into Game Pass that just shows me how serious they are about the service and we’re likely to get a better one as a result.

I’m curious, how old are you? It could be a generational thing.

People buying a console for one game only was a thing since the 16-bit era, there the phrase “casual gaming” referred to people who had their console and bought yearly installments of one sports game and played that to death.

Here’s the thing, MS is trying to grow their marketshare. They need millions of new customers (whether brand new or 360 owners that migrated to the PS4) to buy an Xbox and get into the ecosystem. This will affect every single new customer.

They’re going to look at 2 machines and see that one online service is double the price of the other. Same 3rd party games, similar visual fidelity, but double the price for online. The decision is easy.

If they play FTP titles, the decision is easier. There’s no real reason to consider the Xbox. PC or PS.

The Xbox has priced itself out of the conversation for potential new customers.

1 Like

I am 35.

1 Like

This is one of those times that im extremely happy to be a single player console gamer with no interest whatsoever in playing co-op/multi-player.

$120 a year for Xbox Live Gold is way too much. Especially considering it’s free for PC gamers. It is just an absolutely terrible decision by MS/Xbox management to raise the price of Gold to subsidize the cost of Game Pass. Sorry but this is inexcusable. MS/XB just need to charge more for Game Pass as that is where the over head is coming from not XBL Gold. Ridiculous. I thought all the terrible decision making was gone with Phil and Nadella at the helm but apparently not…

I apologize about the off topic rant. I still think MS’s best purchase would be Capcom as they make games that are popular in the West as well as Japan.

1 Like

wait so this change doesn’t effect people that are already paying 3-6-12 monthly subs? only if you cancel then resub?

Yea, looking back at it you’re right. They seem to be mostly shielded from these type of things. People took notice, shrugged their shoulders and kept it moving. The games media play a big role in this I think.

2 Likes

I do find it interesting that none of the major guys that work for xbox tweeted today except for major when he announced GWG for next month.

Do you think it’s smart business sense to broadcast to even more people the bad news?

“Hey guys today im proud to announce we’re increasing the subscription payment that you all hate paying, hope you guys enjoy!”

1 Like

Savvy consumers never pay full for Gamepass or Gold.

Lots of the other site are crying how MS has betrayed them. Sure it is not popular. But that it their right to charge what they want.

As always, the market will decide. For Ultimate Gamepass, the calculus is simple. I can accept anything up to $300 per year. That is the cost of 3 first party games.

Everyone is different however, and I respect that.

1 Like

Lol backtracked and made f2p no longer require gold. That was fast.

We messed up today and you were right to let us know. Connecting and playing with friends is a vital part of gaming and we failed to meet the expectations of players who count on it every day. As a result, we have decided not to change Xbox Live Gold pricing.

We’re turning this moment into an opportunity to bring Xbox Live more in line with how we see the player at the center of their experience. For free-to-play games, you will no longer need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play those games on Xbox. We are working hard to deliver this change as soon as possible in the coming months.

10 Likes

That’s a W

but this whole circus was SO unnecessary

plus:

@ProgStopper and @moderators i took the liberty to edit the title

2 Likes

Proud Of You Yes GIF

1 Like
3 Likes

Wow that backflip, I honestly didn’t expect that. They knew there was going to be backlash but probably thought it wouldn’t be that big.

4 Likes

What an unnecessary mess, but I’m glad they weren’t stubborn on this.

3 Likes

at least those cod/fifa/fortnite players now can play for free lol

5 Likes

I literally just got of my warm bed in the middle of the night to type this up on my computer.

THIS HAS BEEN THE WEIRDEST FUCKING DAY.

2 Likes