Xbox Game Pass |OT| Our Backlogs Are Doomed

They could still be working on securing a renewal for it. I think there was another first party title recently that was gonna leave but they resolved it before it did.

Very odd indeed. Isnā€™t this IP owned by MS?

But I still expect titles such as Gears, Halo, Skyrim, upcoming Redfall etc to stay permanently.

That being said, it is april fools. You never know with these days.

By the way, genuine question, but has MS themselves actually said before that their exclusives would never leave the service?

Good question, I hope they said first party never leaves

I think we all assumed it because it doesnā€™t make sense for their own exclusives to leave, but still.

Also, didnā€™t this game come with a show? Maybe itā€™s the license.

Doubt theyd say that because games with licensing (like Forza) always have a risk of losing the license.

1 Like

Quantum Break is a game born before the arrival of Game Pass with a third party developer. I can assume there was no deal between Microsoft and Remedy to include the game indefinitely on a subscription service.

2 Likes

And yet Sunset Overdrive that released earlier than QB and was made by a developer now owned by Sony is still in the service. I doubt there has to be any kind of deal that covers Game Pass between MS and Remedy since I am assuming any potential loopholes are covered in the initial contracts especially for a 1st party IP. If it is indeed true that the game will get delisted then itā€™s most likely a licensing issue.

1 Like

Sunset Overdrive will probably leave later on to, same with Outer Worlds and Ryse. The date just has not come yet.

This is why Xbox is doing so many acquisitions, so that future content donā€™t leave Gamepass.

Licensing is Game Pass greatest foe.

What could be licensed though? Music? Microsoft owns both the IP and publishing. I donā€™t like this at all.

1 Like

Yeah that was my guess, and just found this ins a search

Maybe also something related to TV TV TV?

Maybe they can patch out the licensed music? Looks like there was already an option to disable it.

4 Likes

Good find. Should be fixable then.

Saw on Twitter speculating it could be about Lance Reddick, maybe something to do with his estate. Not sure about that though. And at first I thought it could be about the show, but that was a separate thing. I donā€™t think we were even able to watch the show via the game?

Some clarity from them on this would be welcome though.

To be honest licensing is digital futureā€™s greatest foe and if retail dies next gen then I guess we should get used to seeing more and more games delisted and erased from existence. At least games that will be also on PC will get preserved via Captain Hookā€™s methods (which is sad and funny at the same time).

I remember someone post here in a Greek videogame forum about 10 years ago that we should move on to the digital utopia like he did (he was a Steam cultist) but now the future looks more like a digital dystopia. lol

1 Like

I think the show was basically skippable cut scenes I the game.

It being Lance related sounds like something someone pulled out of their ass though. It just happened to come up for renewal weeks after his death?

My console says leaving soon:

• Quantum Break
  • Riftbreaker
  • Moonglow Bay
  • Rainbow Six Extraction
  • The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk: The Amulet of Chaos
  • Life is Strange: True Colors
  • The Long Dark

That will change in the future. Right now theyre sort of relying on 3rd party deals. Once abk goes through and they can get their other studios to finishbtheir gsmes well get better games consistently. But you cant get amazign games every month.

Time to play Life is Strange. True Colors thenā€¦

Quantum Break leaving is still super weird and I donā€™t like it, it puts a lot of games considered safe at risk.

Why not?

1 Like

Life is Strange True Colors is a solid game, and is perfect for playing from the cloud. Its how I played it and outside of the one time my ISP was having conniption fits it was perfect.

1 Like

Gears, Halo, most if not all Bethesda games I can see staying. But FH5 for example in a few yearsā€¦

But which others would be at risk do you think? I hope not too many. It would be nice if they just clarified why this is. I saw people tagging Aaron Greenberg on Twitter, but it doesnā€™t seem heā€™s gonna respond.