Xbox Game Pass |OT| Our Backlogs Are Doomed

Man… I have so many great games in the backlog too.

2 Likes

A lot of people, unfortunately for them IMO, have much narrower taste so unless they get “lucky” and their genres of choice get a lot of games on the service they kind of be in that “have no games” mindset.

2 Likes

From a dev point of view, maybe. But it is incumbent upon MS to make an overpayment to a dev to secure such deals, based on them delaying their own AAA releases.

It is entirely rational for gamers to expect a certain level of AAA content for 2022 Gamepass based on the marketing of things like Redfall/Starfield as 2022 games. Console shortages etc mean that gamers who might otherwise have just waited until games were out to buy consoles embarked on mad scrambles to secure them. So they have spent money with the expectation of that level of 1st party content THIS YEAR.

With the (not unreasonable) delays of those 2 games, MS should have to go out and pay a premium to secure replacement AAA games for Gamepass in 2022. Even if that means paying over the odds.

Simply waiting it out and talking about 2023 is not really acceptable.

1 Like

Not necessary. A lot of people just play FIFA or some other online games and pretty much content with everything else like smaller indie games and some other stuff.

Agreed. It’s MS we’re talking about, so whenever people say these pubs are probably asking premium dollar for a AAA day one GP game, I don’t doubt that, but I think MS can easily afford it. But I guess the question is how big are they willing to spend for Xbox. I can’t imagine that Outriders was cheap, but they still did so, Back 4 Blood, probably nowhere near as expensive as something like Gotham Knights would cost though.

The rest of the year isn’t too bad if the stuff that we know of now doesn’t get delayed, if it does it’s going to look very bleak. At the end of the day though we don’t know how far in advance Xbox knew about Starfield and Redfall delays, maybe they had plenty time to try and make some big deals. And maybe they did but for reasons it did not happen.

It’s still possible there are going to be some older AAA games though. I do hope so. And hopefully 2023 truly IS finally the year where things really take off for Xbox.

Yep. Though in the AAA space, it is telling that from that “coming soon” list for 2022 that Xbox posted, almost all of the AAA games I’m personally interested in are ones NOT included in Gamepass.

I think Microsoft is happy with their Game Pass lineup through the end of the year. I am happy with it as well, based on what they showed at E3.

1 Like

That’s fine, of course. But what it is not is the same level AAA line up that they themselves projected. They have been saying for years now that they wanted to get to a point of at least one AAA game per quarter. 2021 seemed to be the start of that and their advertising made it appear that 2022 would be the same. That creates totally reasonable expectations from paying customers. That’s all. Nothing controversial. Just customers feeling that MS needs to do a bit more to replace the delayed 2022 AAA games. Not just expect them to pay the same money and just wait until next year.

1 Like

So.

I was supposed to review Two Point Campus (which is coming to GP day one tomorrow), but we didn’t get a code yet. A review is coming, but just not tomorrow! (or on the embargo date last week…)

4 Likes

Define customers. I think the general market does not even remember that they had such plans and in general they don’t care.

1 Like

Key has arrived!

Let’s Doncabesa this shit.

5 Likes

I hope to clear a significant chunk off my current backlog before October :smiling_face_with_tear:

9 Likes

That’s pretty much going to be my playlist for the rest of the year, what they add in October.

1 Like

Persona 5 alone is something you free up a whole month for

4 Likes

October looks to be the best month of the year.

2 Likes

The base game took me almost 2 months in 2017, and Royal is longer…

2 Likes

This reads like a threat to me :awkward:

1 Like

After GoTG, High on life is just the kind of game I need

1 Like

I hope Microsoft promotes High of Life more. I really want them to start market their Game Pass on the same level as Sony does.

3 Likes

We’ll get a tweet, maybe two! :wink: