Xbox Game Pass |OT| Our Backlogs Are Doomed

I have no idea what these games are, haha.

:sweat_smile:

Dragon Quest Heroes is a musou spin-off. Plays like Dynasty Warriors, but with Dragon Quest characters. Similar to what Nintendo has done with Hyrule Warriors.

Sorry, all greek to me :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely thinking Dragon Quest Heroes 2. Iā€™ll happily take that.

and Persona 5 Strikers is same right?

im thinking DQ11S did really well on Gamepass, so it might indeed be the next Yakuza on gamepass in the sense the franchise was nonexistent on the platform before but now within two years, all the titles have been getting ported and finding a good audience on the service.

1 Like

Yep!

Omega Force monopolizes the Musou genre :stuck_out_tongue:

Now that I thought about it, I would KILL for a Digimon Story Cybersleuth port.

3 Likes

DQ11S, Octopath and Builders 2 are on Switch. A Bravely game is probably releasing on Game Pass as well. My guess would be that most of the Square Enix JRPGs coming to Xbox are Switch ports.

1 Like

Seems like these are games that could play really well over streaming (perhaps with touch controls too).

I find it amusing how so many Xbox games support touch controls while their Switch versions do not.

Fair but have you tried to use touch controls with any games on the Switch? Itā€™s a total pain and awkward as heck. That said, put touch controls in Picross, dog gonnit!

I donā€™t feel too high on Musou games but Iā€™ll take one with a Dragon Quest theme.

Iā€™d say Strikers is more action RPG and less traditional musou. Heroes is a much more traditional take, similar to Hyrule Warriors.

1 Like

Bruno, Ruthwik, Delroy - you need to start a thread to educate ppl like me. Bruno has written 5 or so messages about DQ now, and like Mort said, I still canā€™t understand what he is saying about these games.

@brunopcosta1 @Ruthwik_Rao @anon98342452

3 Likes

Hmm, let me try again:

• Dragon Quest XI:

This is your classic JRPG. No shenanigans, no weird shit. You are a silent hero bound to do great things who travel the world, meets new companions and save the universe.

Opencritic: 88

• Dragon Quest Heroes II:

This is a musou game with Dragon Quest characters.

The musou genre was made popular by developers Omega Force and its ā€œWarriorsā€ series: Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors.

A musou game is basically a Hack 'n Slash / Beatā€™em Up game in which you choose a character and goes through a level defeating hundreds of enemies while completing simple objectives.

There are many musou spin-off games out there: Hyrule Warriors (Zelda), Fire Emblem Warriors (Fire Emblem), One Piece: Pirate Warriors (One Piece)ā€¦ and Dragon Quest Heroes.

Musou is a niche genre. It does not usually score well on reviews, but people who like the genre put those games among their favorites.

Opencritic: 78

• Dragon Quest Builders 2:

This one is a bit tough to explain.

Itā€™s an Action RPG based on the Dragon Quest universe ā€“ with a block building twist.

Itā€™s a RPG like many others, with a story, companions, villains, leveling up, etc. The twist is that you also gather resources to build and improve villages in order to advance further in the story.

All the art from the game was designed by Akira Toriyama. Thatā€™s why the characters look so similar to Dragon Ball.

The trailers donā€™t make the game justice. You really have to try it out yourselves.

Opencritic: 85

11 Likes

I can heart this reply only once. Sadly.

Bruno Costa = legend

:star_struck:

3 Likes

It will be Heroes 2, Square has totally skipped Builders 1, so it will skip Heroes 1. The other option could be huge and generate more salt than PSO2 did: DQ X in the west and exclusive to Xbox/PC over here.

@brunopcosta1 Why in your opinion Square skipped builders and (possibly) heroes 1? They are 8th gen games as easy to port as the sequels.

1 Like

I wonder when Dragon Quest Heroes 2 will come to gamepass? Thereā€™s a 5 month release gap between DQ11 and Builders 2 so perhaps 4-5 months from now?

I wonder how many hearts Bruno has gotten. Not nearly enough

Iā€™m loving these Bravely and Dragon Quest rumors. Bring them on, Iā€™ll buy them all (with my rewards points shh)

I didnā€™t play much of Heroes 2 so I canā€™t say for certain but I imagine itā€™s the same reason for both: The first entry wasnā€™t especially amazing (though I enjoyed them) and theyā€™re pretty much standalone.

By which I mean it helps to have knowledge of the series in general but you donā€™t need to have played the first to enjoy the second. Iā€™d imagine that theyā€™re using these as trial balloons. Put your best foot forward, see how engagement is and if itā€™s high enough, bring over the rest.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response. I think that even if they do really well, they wonā€™t port the first entries, it makes little sense (as you said, older and worse games), but clearly they will port the sequels, maybe without MS ā€œjuiceā€ every time, which is what we all want.

Itā€™s only speculation, but if they could pull DQ X in the west, it will be huge like with PSO 2: itā€™s clear that SE doensā€™t want to take the risk and for MS it would be a very small risk (a metaphoric pond in the Azure ocean XD) with potentially huge gains in mindshare. Furthermore, the simmetry of having DQ X exclusive in the west with the FF14 bullshit going on since forever will be hilarious. XD

1 Like