Xbox First Party games going to 70$

As much as not supporting the developers.

You wonā€™t see me paying more than $30 for a game personally :phil_lmao:

2 Likes

I usually buy games that launch into Game Pass if I like them enough (even if theyā€™re first party). This price change has pushed me to wait for sales on those games now.

Not the end of the world I suppose, but now I expect these games to launch better polished and functioning cough Gears 5 MP cough

5 Likes

Did you have issues with Gears 5? I had some server issues the first day or two of pre-launch but nothing really after that.

1 Like

Yeah I was referring to how Gears 5 launched. It was insane that the MP was basically unplayable for a couple days.

1 Like

I kinda donĀ“t care because I am completely in the Game Pass world but it sucks big time for folks who prefer to buy their games, theres no other way to put it.

I posted this in another thread but I wonder when JP publishers start doing $70? Only Square Enix has done it with their 2 PS5 exclusives (makes me think Sony was behind that decision) but otherwise it seems like JP publisher games have remained at $60. I will also expect Koei Tecmoā€™s PS5 exclusive to be $70 for obvious reasons but Wo Longā€™s next gen version is $60. Capcom games have been holding at $60 too it seems.

Will the dominos keep falling onto them next year I wonder? I wonder if Tekken 8 will open preorders after TGA, that will be an interesting test because itā€™s currently next gen only. Pragmata might also be the decision for Capcom as itā€™s next gen only, but Capcom currently has a record of announcing next gen only games and then adding PS4 later.

Yeah, I focused on the campaign instead so no biggie.

1 Like

Well, thatā€™s a choice they makeā€¦without having to. You can still buy the games cheap later on and still play them day one via GP. People are weird, and dare I say itā€¦ a bit dumb.

Yeah a lot of people are stuck in the mindset of having to be there Day 1, spending full price. It is a hard habit to kick, as you might feel left out of the hype, but the game will be just as good (or bad lol) when you get it to cheaper down the road.

1 Like

Not only just as good but even better fully patched and bug fixed most of the time. As a backlogger Iā€™m very spoiled in that regard and have very little patience for broken stuff anymore. Cheap, patched and often with DLC content is the way.

Or just play it via GP.

1 Like

That is my approach with Xbox first party games but I wouldnĀ“t call weird or dumb people who have a different one. Xbox still offers the choice of buying their games and with this decision they have made that choice worse. Do they want to push folks towards Game Pass? I mean it could be.

3 Likes

I do love picking up games after the fact, especially if I can get all the dlc and whatever I want in a bundle as well. Ubisoft especially seems to like marking down prices on gold /ultimate versions by 60% or so by the next year. Iā€™ve bought more games in the 5-20 $ range than anything higher, and I typically have a better idea if itā€™ll be good by the time I buy as well which saves time and money. Since Iā€™m not a big fan of multiplayer other than Halo, I donā€™t need to worry about the player base

4 Likes

If the alternative was not playing the game Iā€™d agree, but we have Game Pass so there is a much cheaper option than paying $70 for the exact same thing at the exact same release time.

Same here. I always get the Gold Editions for Ubi games, at around $20. This is how I do with most games Iā€™ve waited to buy, incredible value.

Like you say, unless itā€™s a short lived MP game thereā€™s no rush. I buy all the Cultist games in deep sales too, paid $4 for TLOU2, $7 for GoW etc. Games donā€™t get less good just because they arenā€™t new, thereā€™s nothing to miss out on.

4 Likes

For playing videogames, we have been having to buy videogames since forever. Game Pass introduces a new way of consuming videogames, a way that I really like, but it is normal that many people are slower in that transition or doesnĀ“t like this new way altogether.

It is absurd to be that fixated in the possesion of something you really donĀ“t own, that much I reckon, but it takes all kinds to make a world.

1 Like

Nah, theyā€™re only good if theyā€™re new and exclusiveā€¦ :troll:

3 Likes

Havent paid full price for a ms game since gesrs 4 back in 2016.

I dont understand the issue. People didnt give a shit when sony did this outside of minor noise.

Too many hypocrits in the media.

Ms raising price is just a gamepass push. So be it.

No idea why any xbox fan would complain

Pretty sure youre paying 62 bucls with the gamepass discount anyway.

If you arent invested into gamepass. Its your own damn fault. Ms cant be seen as good guys when everyone else is raiding prices. Makes 0 sense.

I felt sony pushed 70 way too early and for shit games. Noone said 70 would never come.

3 Likes

The only games i buy full price day 1 are an Elden Ring these days which come once or twice a generation.

I still havent bought or plan to buy God of war until next year.

One issue with more expensive games is it takes longer to go down to reasonable price levels. Its not a big issue for me personally because there is Game Pass and i have a large enough backlog so i can just wait it out.

It would be no problem if the larger revenues from higher prices were used for getting devs paid. But then i look at the financial results from all these companies and just lol.

2 Likes

I kinda noticed that PS games are getting less sales and discounts than they did during the PS4. I hope Xbox doesnā€™t also do the same. They were both great with discounts last-gen (unlike a certain other platform), think outside of Forza Horizon Xbox games got to $30 and less pretty quickly.