Xbox family line-up (Activision Blizzard extend)

Me trying to remember the last time I’ve seen an Xbox commercial on TV. Admittedly I don’t watch as much TV anymore, but it’s definitely not as prevalent as people think.

I’m waiting to see if bringing marketing under Phil is going to make a difference. Have to hope that it will.

4 Likes

I think it will. Xbox is Microsoft’s only real consumer focused business so hopefully having it in the division will change things.

2 Likes

I would like to see the look on the marketing guys faces when a world map is shown to them.

5 Likes

We’ll see. Still mindblowing how cool Xbox 360 marketing was in comparison to whatever came next.

Though their Windows team wanted to use Microsoft Teams as a consumer product, so no wonder they have no idea how to do marketing properly :rofl:

Peter Moore

Considering that he is still angry at Sony for Sega, would be interesting to see what would he do now when Microsoft is all in on gaming.

1 Like

The “strong” marketing campains will come with Bethesda / Activision Blizzard Campain.

The only GamePass ads I saw was with SOT, Fortnite and FH5. I was all Youtube campains. Those game are good one for people who already play and now those game.

But in order to reach largest people, they need to do the “massive” campain with Doom, The Elder scroll, COD. that’s the kind of campain that have strong impact. That are already in the accounting of the company (Bethesda and Activision have a marketing/communication budget and strategie). Xbox just got to put a few logo on those ads to make a great impact.

I am aware that the situtation could be fustrating for Xbox fan, but wasting money now, is not a good idea. Playstation is at his “big” moment, with a lot a release on a very short windows of time. Xbox is steal (and I now, because I am on Xbox since the first gen), that the rotation schedule is taking longer than expected to become a reality.

And I don’t now for you guys, but a lot of my friend that are Xbox only player, are still on the One. And will not go for the Series S. So with the low number of machines available right now, making expense to increase sales is not the better idea to me.

They need to put money on the studio they already own, finalise the Acti Bli acquisition. And then when they will have all the weapon ready, release the kraken. Not now.

But did they have big marketing for Forza and Halo?

I think Halo released with a tweet.

1 Like

yes they did.

It might seem weird to some folks from the US when we’re saying how non-existent is the Xbox marketing here in Europe but it’s really that bad…I come across players all the time that don’t even know what Game Pass even is, people that they already have decided that their only legit option for a next gen console is the PS5. The funny thing is that when you explain to them what the Xbox ecosystem offers they look at you with a “no way that is a thing!” face. :thinking:

MS has a loooong road ahead to actually be competent marketing wise and actually inform the more casual audiences what they have to offer when compared to the competition, if I was at MS the first thing that I would do is make some TV spots promoting both consoles (especially Series S which you can find in the stores here quite easy) and of course the immense value AND quality of Game Pass…so far there has being NONE. Let’s see if things get better as we get deeper into the generation.

1 Like

This can be true even for people who are already Xbox gamers! My brother lives in Sweden, and when I told him about Game Pass he straight up didn’t believe me. Or, rather, he believed I was misinformed. That there had to be a catch of some kind. Like a limit to how many games you could play per month, or that in addition to the monthly fee you’d have to pay per downloaded game. Or that they were all just game demos, and after a number of hours you’d have to pay to continue playing. Something. No way could it possibly work the way I said it did.

Then he joined, and now he’s an acolyte. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That explains the Dalahäst!

I can’t even count the number of times I have to explain how good, and cheap, things are on Xbox to people. I’ve also encountered the demo-thing… jfc.

Not to mention things like Play Anywhere, the ease of cloud saves, Smart Delivery, BC etc. etc.

1 Like

Yeah… I’m not holding my breath. The bright side though is that Bethesda and Activision actually have decent marketing so maybe their PR-teams can take over it all.

1 Like

Indeed. :sweden: :horse:

Yeah… It’s a shame. They have such a great product, and people are starting to wake up to it, but it’s amazing how many reasonably informed gamers aren’t aware of some of this stuff.

Hopefully as the generation wears on, and more people start becoming dual-system owners due to the inexpensive entry point that is the Series S, word will start to spread.

2 Likes

At this point, what saves Microsoft is that there is not decent competitor and there is a shortage. Otherwise it would look rather dire outside of USA.

It’s just a matter of time with Spartacus coming. (No, it doesn’t matter that it isn’t the same thing. Media and Cultists are allready framing it as Sony’s Game Pass. It’s PlayStation…)

The irony is that Europe is not that aware about Game Pass I guess. Game Pass is a catchy name though, I wonder if Sony will come up with something similar. It wants to introduce as PS+ tiers though, guess they will market it as PS+ extension.

Launch it with Resident Evil and Final Fantasy collection, some additional perks and it will be very solid.

1 Like

The marketing team behind the 360 were seriously talented people. Laid the foundation as to how its done. Sony definitely took influence from them.