Xbox family line-up (Activision Blizzard extend)

But already with EA play they are loosing out on legacy titles and the Gamepass discount. EA games are cheapest on Xbox.

How many people play FIFA 2020 in 2021 and not FIFA 2021? It is literally one of the best selling games every year. Some people probably donā€™t even know that Xbox has FIFA either (not sure, but a lot of people just know that they can play on Playstation so whether they check other options is hard to say). For a lot of europeans, Playstation is like a default home console and Switch is the default handheld console.

Microsoft is trying to change the way people consume the games and maybe in USA they will succeed. Will be interesting to see what they will achieve in Europe. Other markets are also interesting - especially mobile first markets - where Microsoft does not even have presence or localization. I do hope Microsoft succeeds.

1 Like

All in all, Microsoft have so many things they have to do right in order to succeed. And times waits for no one. Shortage helps them immensively though.

And PlayStation makes sure to always be in the spotlight even when they have no new games. They market the brand. Football is a good example where they have the Championā€™s League marketing.

They also care about localization, which may not be important for all markets but extremely so for others.

2 Likes

Well Microsoft can always use machine translation /s

Yeah, it is crazy how ingrained Sony is the marketing of the most popular titles across the world. I am even surprised that Xbox retained NFL marketing though Xbox One was only ā€œaliveā€ in USA.

GTA, COD, FIFAā€¦You canā€™t go higher than that. Do they have some deal with Fortnite too? Not sure.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve had Fortnite bundles and exclusive Spiderman stuff before it was common at least.

They have extremely good marketing in general. They have it easy now too when PlayStation = Quality guarantee in peoples minds. Itā€™s why Spartacus will dominate without being better or even equal to GP.

I still havenā€™t seen any indication that Spartacus is going to be anything more than PS Plus + PS Now. Even with more marketing, that isnā€™t going to become a runaway success.

Game Pass will be the exclusive home to games from the biggest publisher. It also includes games 6-12 months after release from the second biggest publisher.

Spartacus will likely be home to Sony first party games, indie titles, and better marketing.

1 Like

Oh wow. I completely forgot about Spiderman.

I hear what you all are saying about marketing and default console. However Day1 Activision and Exclusive Bethesda with Fifa day1 discounts and every legacy title of EA, Activision, and Bethesda. At some point I just think people arent giving European gamers enough credit. Like how long will they over pay and miss out on WRPG exclusives? Even with zero Xbox marketing Im pretty sure European gamers will start to feel ripped off over in camp Playstation.

Well, Starfield will be a marker at that.

1 Like

There are regional hits. Iā€™d say Microsoft Flight Sim is the biggest console mover in Japan. Perhaps Europe will have an impossible to ignore Xbox game that changes the tide. Hopefully thats as soon as Starfield.

Was MFS a mover though?

I donā€™t think anything is a mover in this supply constrained environment

1 Like

Yeah. Ironic that supply constraints kinda save Xbox, but at the same are doing nothing for Xbox and at the same are good for Microsoft.

2 Likes

It is pretty great that the hardest part of this generation for Xbox fans is figuring out how MS should present all their games/studios/projects. When ppl have to get real creative just to depict all the dev studios (let alone teams or games), that is pretty wild. Quite the turnaround! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hey Tavis, how are you doing? Hope everything is ok. Just saw that video you posted about how MS just killed metasā€™s metaverse and from the discourse Iā€™ve seen around the internetā€¦very little people understand how big MS wants to be.

Like, some xbox fans really dont understand how exited they should be now tha MS considers xbox a big part of their futute plans.

Just imagining the position and impact xbox will have in the industry if MS manage to get the metaverse stuff first/right nd get into apple/googleā€¦dam, its baffling to see how people reduce this to just xbox vs ps.

Exiting times ahead indeed!

1 Like

Itā€™s Tavish (donā€™t forget the ā€˜hā€™). :stuck_out_tongue:

And yeah, there are bigger things at play I think than the battle between consoles or even ecosystems. I wouldnā€™t even stop st saying Xbox will play a big role just in revolutionizing the industry (bc frankly it has been doing that for a long time now imho). Iā€™d say it might become a central part of changing our culture since it likely will be key to MSā€™s vision for the Metaverse. That video doesnā€™t dig enough into how MSā€™s vision differs from Facebookā€™s wrt VR. MS doesnā€™t seem to care much about VR and doesnā€™t seem to think VR is needed for a Metaverse.

1 Like

Because itā€™s a big problem outside NA. Here in South America I see 5 Playstation trailers for every Xbox trailer.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Xbox marketing is as strong in NA as some of you guys think it is.

Well in USA it is certainly stronger than Europe. At least in USA you can see these commercial on TV during some football or whatever sports matches. I still have no idea what Microsoft is doing with their marketing departments. Does Windows division really put up roadblocks?

You would think they would put commercials everywhere telling about Game Pass and Day 1 games. So people could feel the presence of Xbox.