Xbox and Nintendo partnership news coming fall 2021

Or… they provide a streaming service that is playable where consumers want to play and don’t leave a market open for Tencent, Amazon, or other future competitors.

1 Like

Why would Nintendo want other companies cannibalizing their system. The super conservative Nintendo and revenue hungry company.

1 Like

Arguing about whether it’s bad for Nintendo or bad for Xbox is two different things. FWIW, i don’t expect to see it happen but believe it would be a positive for xCloud as a service.

It would be nice if we (Xbox users) got anything out of these “partnerships” with Nintendo.

3 Likes

Phil has already said putting their games on Switch isn’t sustainable and Amazon Fire is a higher priority for Xcloud then Switch.

Saying that…I don’t really mind Xcloud going there, Switch is just another tablet in the end. But if they want it Nintendo will have to put their games on Xbox.

1 Like

To me, “putting games on…” implies the games running their natively.

To me the only negative to putting streaming on a competitors device is that could result in people buying more of their 3rd party games on that platform. But… it is the Switch so I think that is less of a concern.

Moving from community

Yes… but if people are willing to stream, they didn’t need to buy the Xbox in the first place.

Like me as an xbox consumer should care about the switch active user base when they would bring nothing to benefit me.

“Gets us more game pass stuff in the future” - If gamepass benefits depend on stuff like this then its a failure.

2 Likes

Why disregard moves that will continue the increase of subscribers when we cheer on the growth every time new numbers are announced.

It is really surprising to me that you guys think a successful Xbox ecosystem does not benefit the people in it.

1 Like

Nobody doesnt think that but it certainly can live without switch or ps users just how the Zenimax deal for months was said that it doesnt need ps5 or switch versions to be profitable.

2 Likes

I doubt the Switch xCloud revenue is a dealbreaker for a successful Game Pass, for the $2 trillion company MS.

1 Like

Switch and PS5 users are also iOS and Android users. All you’re doing is making the service less useful to people by telling which of their devices they can use to play games on.

Imagine having a Switch sitting there and having to spend $100 on a jank razer controller and drain your phones battery just because.

If there are two streaming services, one lets you use the devices you already own and one requires new devices, which one are people choosing?

A browser or their phone if they want to play. If you dont got either then though luck.

Xbox should not cater to switch because its just another portable. Its asinine.

1 Like

In this scenario the person doesn’t own a phone, tablet, PC or TV? Don’t think I’ve ever met someone like that.

2 Likes

Maybe switch owners can stop buying overpriced ports all year round and get a Series S for the same price as the Switch.

Find an entry point into xcloud and gamepass via the options of browser, xbox X|S, phone or tv apps eventually. Dont got either then woops.

3 Likes

I don’t get saying streaming to phone or tablet is play because it is niche and doesn’t work well when streaming on a Switch would also be niche and not work well. Are you thinking that they’d be getting games running natively on their hardware?

If they own all of those things already, what is the downside to letting them use a switch. They already have access to all of the games.

I would be extremely surprised a company as paranoid and draconian as Nintendo that shits its pants, C&Ds over free fan games thinking they are “competing against” their main games will allow a service that shall cannibalize a lot of their own game and service sales, especially a service like Gamepass that is at least decades ahead of their own business model.

4 Likes

moved from community

Game Pass is Microsofts disruptive service to grow Xbox revenue and profit way beyond the 50 million or so xbox users. This doesn’t mean Xbox will neglect their own hardware or their platform. Why would they? Its still good money. But Game Pass is the most important aspect of their business, thats why we are beeing bombarded with it in every conference the last two years. It also doesn’t mean Xbox relies on Sony or Nintendo, they have just devices where you can play Game Pass games. And on local Xbox hardware you can do this better.

The success of Game Pass (and Xbox) depends on masses of users, that is not a failure, thats by design. More Game Pass users mean better Game Pass content and better Xbox games. The results are already here.

1 Like