Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I have said for a while that with how cheap Atari is that Microsoft should acquire them!

They would get so many IP’s and could even launch a retro platform on Xbox/Cloud.

With them now acquiring System Shock and a few other IP’s recently (Frenzy) it makes so much sense.

Imagine a idsoft System Shock game :astonished:.

2 Likes

I’d rather microsoft acquire some talented singular studios that can expand their team and work on Microsoft ips like Banjoo, viva pinata, phantom dust plus soon to have ips like Hexen and prototype. Best would be to acquire. IOI, Supergiant games, and Asobo

3 Likes

I’d rather Microsoft acquire talented developers or publishers like DOTEMU that can bring back some of the classic arcade games in a new rebooted fashion. Would love to see a new Arcade style 2D X-MEN done in the Streets of rage 4 and Shredders revenge format. X-Men (Arcade) Playthrough - NintendoComplete - YouTube

1 Like

Yes to both, big fan of DotEmu and Asobo! I’d also like to see Xbox acquire Crystal Dynamics & Eidos from Embracer.

The thing is Atari’s market cap is currently $52 million, so they could easily get them without regulatory approval and double the amount of IP they currently own. Atari not only brings IP for dirt cheap but legacy, nostalgia and a new gaming avenue (retro gaming).

7 Likes

Yeah, but that will just cause a metric ton of posts from Sony Fanboys proclaiming Commodore being better and Atari being trash.

1 Like

I can’t actually work out who owns the Commodore Amiga games.

One article suggests the The Writers’ Group Film Corp acquired 300 of them for $0.5 million (bargain!).

Oh look… the Japanese publisher that’s constantly shit on by a select few in this thread has made the cut on this list (again) whereas the Mega Man-associated one is predictably absent yet again….

But sure… Sega doesn’t make any money or develop games/properties that people want :woozy_face:

20 Likes

We really out here fighting over Capcom and Sega? Do you really think that Xbox will suffer if they don’t buy Capcom but buy Sega and vice versa? It won’t matter which company they buy because Capcom and Sega both are massive companies that would give Xbox plenty of Japenese ip’s.

3 Likes

The Japanese ones are counting their non-gaming sector incomes, right? I do see Xbox is just an estimate.

Unsurprising for Capcom to not make it, they don’t particularly have anything like those non gaming sectors. They’ve also failed to make any mobile or GAAS games stick.

Square’s also present, yet I always hear they’re going bankrupt next week lol.

4 Likes

Capcom will be there this year since they have a number of games compared to last year. I think we all like Sega though most probably for the past. If only we could get back the Sega of the DREAMCAST that was firing on all cylinders. I wonder though if Microsoft acquires Sega and have them do remakes in like UE 5 or comparable engines like Capcom that would be awesome.

I am 100% on Team Sega, and thought I had a pretty good handle on the pros/cons of each firm. But I am still surprised that Sega actually earns (at least in 2022) more revenue than Capcom.

When I get some time I may dive a bit deeper into the financials of each. I’m very curious now.

8 Likes

Another surprise (not)… Xbox & Activision combined is $23.13B which is still under PlayStation and Tencent!

With SEGA too they would just pip Tencent to the top with $25.81B.

SEGA brings in so much variety

8 Likes

I’m certainly not, I have the receipts to prove that I’ve always said that they’d both be good gets; this is strictly to push back against a handful of people pretending Sega is a has been and we only care about “nostalgia” (see @Haven’s perfectly timed response), while Sega is more successful than Capcom nearly every year this is published. Would I prefer Sega if there was only one of the two? Absolutely, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to degrade what Capcom has accomplished the last five years (after an abysmal eight years prior - which can be backed by actual data rather than baseless statements disregarding Sega).

Case in point, as there’s a hell of a lot of assumptions being made about what other people like about Sega of today. Do I want a Sega that’s budget is appropriate to their IP? Sure, but that point is so ignorantly dismissive of the constant mega-sellers Sega continuously puts out (thus negating the “Sega Nostalgia” point), and I feel like I’ve provided the data more times than should be necessary for people to get the message at this point. As a PC and console player, Relic and Creative Assembly alone are some of the most critically, and commercially, successful devs in their respective genres year after year. Sonic continues to sell major numbers, its movie property is the most successful video game adaptation to date. Phantasy Star pulls in very admirable numbers, Atlus properties have exceeded the sales of several Final Fantasy titles, and Yakuza/Like a Dragon is one of the most consistent sellers there is. I can and have gone on further ad nauseam on this very subject when in the end, I think it would best serve the Sega-denigrators to simply say “I don’t like Sega” as opposed to the reality-distortion mental gymnastics we’ve seen time and time again.

Yes but that does nothing to disprove the point; Capcom sells an absolute ton of merchandise from their gaming properties and at the end of the day, given how much of Sega revenue is equally tied to gaming and gaming related merchandise/endeavors, this is purely a reflection of the success of, and popularity of, Sega’s properties.

5 Likes

This is true yeah. Capcom had a soft 2022. Biggest release was MH Rise Sunbreak, rest of the year they had small DLC like Re Village and retro releases like the Fighting Collection. Big lineup for this year though.

TEAM SEGA 4 LYFE!

14 Likes

I don’t think I have been hostile against a Sega acquisition. I have always just looked at their value from before and after to me. They certainly have amazing IPs but to me have seemed like a shadow of their past. I certainly do agree with the figures. I also won’t say it’s nostalgia and I think I have been championing Sonic all the time. Perhaps you’re right but a lot of time when people I listen too talk about Sega they usually talk about their IPs and even though I say a shadow of the past it truly is just that they are much different with new offerings. I certai

2 Likes

The one thing this list doesnt mention is what is their actual net profit. Revenues doesnt really matter but profit does. Ubisoft is there but is actally losing money.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-11/ubisoft-sees-fy-operating-loss-after-game-launches-disappoint

As well as Activision and EA having similar revenues but ABK has more than double their profit.

Some of the list arent even pure game companies like konami or bandai namco.

And they are not even counting all game studios like Nexon which already has bigger revenues than Ubisoft.

1 Like

A lot of Atari stuff I’m sorry to say is garbage, but they do have some gems that could be given new life.

Maybe a version of Centipede, that takes inspiration from what Namco did with Pac-Man and made the game more endless or adding a time trial to it.

That being said Atari would be worth it just for a company that respects Roller Coaster Tycoon and those games haven’t been good since the 90s, so I believe Microsoft could fix that problem.

Also doesn’t Atari own Earthworm Jim? I could have sworn Atari said that would be their big exclusive, so you would buy their new console system.

So Atari would also be good for Game Pass and I don’t think they would cost that much, maybe no more than 100 million, give or take a million or so.

1 Like

I never said profit didn’t matter, or that revenue was the be-all-end-all, but to say revenue doesn’t matter when it’s literally a major component of a company’s valuation is just… weird?

5 Likes

I want to see Microsoft acquire studios/publishers that have games that I actually want to buy and play so they would then be in Game Pass day one. Capcom definitely fits my criteria. Sega is great but for me personally, there’s just nothing of interest which is why I don’t want to see Microsoft acquire them.