Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Without Microsoft that 5000 might be a thing but with Microsoft I’d doubt that. Also with the way Microsoft is going in with AI I just don’t think numbers will be needed that much. Phil Spencer’s last interview had him talk a little about how AI is something they are beginning to learn in gaming. Ubisoft’s might be a better buy for Sony than Microsoft. On the regulator side monopsony is something the senators were pretty loud to the FTC about, so that number might trigger a new kind of scrutiny. In my opinion dev teams are going to get smaller not bigger with technology and it would be better if Ubisoft engages in support work for other studios while focusing on their core franchises.

We also heard Jeff Grubb say that Microsoft is going to acquire Crytek, Avalanche, IOI, NetherRealm, TT, Crystal Dynamics, and Eidos. He also said that Sony was going to acquire Square Enix, right? Nothing bad, I love rumors like everyone here, but I doubt anyone knows what’s going on behind the scenes, especially when it comes to a big publisher.

What we currently know is that Ubisoft is in a particularly difficult situation and that it is the publisher most likely to sell in the coming years. It’s unclear if other publishers will be on the table sooner or later (regardless of our wishes or expectations). I think that’s also a factor to take into account when an opportunity arises.

So yes, if Ubisoft is on the table for 3 billion (after ABK), Microsoft has to make an offer, because this may be the last opportunity for him to get a publisher, and it’s not about a small acquisition without consequence. Regardless of Ubisoft’s troubles, the gains for Xbox will be colossal. Ubisoft games are in the ranking of the most played and sold games every year.

Considering Microsoft’s strategy with GP and the relationship they’ve had with Ubisoft for many years, it’s obvious that this acquisition would make sense. I wouldn’t be surprised if Microsoft and Ubisoft were already in talks before ABK and the deal with Tencent was just a way to buy time.

2 Likes

No idea what Microsoft will do once ABK is validated, but I think there is a real hiring need for COD and Blizzard. Raven, Toys for Bob, High Moon, and Beenox want to work on something other than COD, and Microsoft is used to giving full creative freedom to its studios. So I hope the right decisions will be made. Personally, I would like COD to go in new directions, with 3 very big studios (IW, Treyarch, and SHG) venturing into very varied genres, I think it would do good for the series which is becoming a bit redundant.

I don’t think Sony has any interest in acquiring Ubisoft as it is today. Few companies can afford it, Microsoft is one of them, and Ubisoft corresponds quite well to the strategy put in place with the GP. I don’t believe in Microsoft’s monopoly with Xbox. It does not exist. Ubisoft would barely move the needle. Regulators may cause problems for other reasons, but I think Microsoft is able to provide concessions (AC) and warn regulators that Tencent might acquire Ubisoft if the deal fails. And I don’t think AI will replace developers either. It would be dramatic for creativity and the industry itself. You may be able to save time with the AI, but it shouldn’t end up taking up too much space in the creation, otherwise the games will quickly become boring and generic.

1 Like

Did Grubb say all these things? Cause I don’t know about all of these cases but I remember the Square Enix one and he did not say “Sony is going to acquire Square Enix”. He said he had two sources with connections to Sony who had said that, but also noted that it wasn’t even at the threshold of reliability yet where he would have talked about it if it weren’t for someone else reporting on it first.

He mentioned it as rumors, but isn’t it the same for Ubisoft? I think this is more of a personal opinion than a rumour. This is not an attack on Grubb that I appreciate, but we should take a step back from what was said.

The gains are big but is it worth the huge troubles that would come with the deal?

First issue is they’d have so much surplus staff that while some can be relocated (potentially to other Xbox studios), mass layoffs/studio closures is a nigh inevitability and that would be a horrible look (Especially as they’d have to do it pretty quickly)

Second issue is that a lot of the studios are either stuck making games that are DOA when or if they ever come out (Ubisoft Singapore with Skull and Bones, BGE 2, Sands of Time remake and all of the GAAS stuff are other examples) or have had projects recently canned and are starting something from scratch. Also worth noting Ubisoft don’t have huge mobile franchises like ABK do (Candy Crush, COD mobile, Diablo Immortals) or Bethesda (ES Blade/Fallout Shelter) and most of their mobile ventures have flopped.

Third issue (And this may be the largest that negate the gains with IP) is that Ubisoft’s only real consistent successful IP of the past 5 or so years (Far Cry and AC) are starting to feel very stale so Ubisoft’s stronger IPs may also sour if not dealt with properly - IP like The Crew would also be dormant on acquisition, lessening the value.

The potential of Ubisoft is huge and the wealth of talent/IP that would come with is second to none (especially for the price tag + Library for GP), but there is a lot of baggage and logistical issues that would come with Ubisoft and it is easier to imagine Paradox, Sega or Capcom being a safer bet.

1 Like

I think it’s easy to imagine acquiring any publisher (and I’m a big fan of SEGA and Capcom), the problem is that those publishers are (obviously) not on the table and don’t may never be. So if it has the possibility, should Microsoft give up acquiring Ubisoft after ABK on the pretext that one day it may be (but without any certainty) SEGA or Capcom will want to sell?

I’m not saying that Ubisoft is essential for Xbox, but it would be a shame to lose a major acquisition on the pretext that X or Y could POTENTIALLY be next (but without any certainty), right?

IF Microsoft is in discussions with several publishers and has a choice, fine, let it choose the best one. BUT if Ubisoft is the only publisher on the table, do you really want Microsoft to give up all this video game heritage when its main strategy is to become the Netflix or Disney of video games?

Yes Ubisoft has problems, but if the company was healthy, it wouldn’t be for sale. We all have our preferences when it comes to acquisition. I don’t think many people were excited about ABK before the announcement. You just have to think about what it will bring to Xbox and GP. This is an important generation for Microsoft and each acquisition is good because it defines what the future of Xbox will be.

Ubisoft (whether we like it or not) is a major publisher with a large community of gamers. It would bring millions of gamers into the Xbox ecosystem and it would have a huge impact on how next-gen plays out for Microsoft. I’m not saying it’s the only publisher that makes sense, just that it’s currently on the table and shouldn’t be underestimated.

I will close the parenthesis by saying this: Microsoft cannot acquire any publisher just because it wants to. ABK is the biggest acquisition in their history and it wasn’t even in their plans. Either way, let’s see where it takes us and get excited for the future.

4 Likes

I also think they would benefit a lot from MS’s fundings.

1 Like

In the recurrent discussion about Sega or Capcom, I have always said I would prefer Capcom and I stand by it, but lately I ve started to think that Sega is way more realistic.

I’m down for a new Dark Messiah of Might & Magic from Arkane Studios, that is if Ubisoft wants to sell the IP.

2 Likes

I was talking about monopsony has in Microsoft being the sole buyer of labor in the industry not monopoly. My point with AI is more dependency. below is an example of something quite new. (6) Did We Just Change Animation Forever? - YouTube Perhaps Microsoft will hire a lot more, but I doubt it would be anywhere near Ubisoft numbers. Microsoft also seems to be running very much with AI. Here is a reaction from a respectable artist (6) Disney Animator REACTS to AI Animation! - YouTube You’re probably right Sony won’t buy Ubisoft. I do however think it would work well for them competing. The staff would be large enough to handle a good number of projects for a subscription service and Sony like Microsoft have a good number of IP’s like SOCOM that could use the talent and numbers. Ubisoft asking price is also quite low below 3 billion for Sony that is willing to spend another 5 billion.

I think Square Enix is the acquisition that makes the most sense in Japan. Sega and Capcom don’t skip Xbox.

1 Like

Sony would kick up such a fuss about square, it’s not worth it.

I don’t think MS cares. In the worst case you force Sony to buy Square Enix which would help Xbox in buying Capcom for the regulators.

4 Likes

Lol, I can just imagine Microsoft buying Square Enix and announcing to regulators they will be making everything multiplatform and have entered into a 10 year agreement with Nintendo to bring all titles.

“This purchase is all about parity. We will be putting Square Enix titles on all consoles, PC, and Cloud day and date. All companies with cloud agreements with Microsoft will be receiving these titles. When everyone plays, we all win.” - Phil

8 Likes

"Final Fantasy on all platforms would lead to decreased consumer choice, increased prices and cold death of the Universe." - Jim Ryan

13 Likes

“We are going to sue to block the merger of Microsoft X Square Enix because Microsoft lied to the EU about allowing PlayStation to have the best version of COD.” - Lina Khan’s FTC, probably after she is let go from her job

MS to other publishers after ABK deal

24 Likes

Atari still exists???

6 Likes

What if System Shock is a launch title for their next console