Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I’ll believe it when I see it

Amazon could have easily outbid Embracer a few months ago and got everything for less then they are rumoured to be paying just for Tomb Raider.

Right now still a rumor. I’m Like 90 percent that it true though.

Have you seen the original source?:

I’m more likely to lean the other 10% that it’s true :joy: - fellowship of fans? :joy:

1 Like

??? So you’re saing it fake?

Do you think a Lord of the Rings fan website called fellowship of fans is a reliable source?

Yeah I need a better source than that

But if true, what another major L for Square

Lquare Lenix

Seriously though. It couldnt happen to a nicer company lmao

Square are the biggest fraud of a company out there.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far. There is that Sony promoted Abandoned. I would say SE is inept/incompetent.

3 Likes

It has an almost perfect track record with LOTR rumours, yes. It leaked stuff about the amazon TV show in the past.

However, the wording is ambiguous from their article and this is just a tangential piece of info they’re putting out alongside their actual report about Amazon-Embracer LOTR negotiations.

I do not believe Amazon is purchasing the IP, I think that’s a misunderstanding. And the $600 million is for some (unspecified, undefined) “Total package”. They talk about it being an “investment”. A popular theory is that, if the number is true (not guaranteed certainly, but IF), then what it may refer to is the amount that Amazon intends to invest in the franchise in total.

Amazon is already paying to publish the next TR game, which is AAA budget. They are also paying some unknown amount for the rights to make TR movies/TV shows. They will be budgeting 100+ million to any project of that nature, so if they are doing all 3, then the number starts to make sense. They’re not paying Embracer 600 million, but rather, they are planning on spending 600 million on the collective tomb raider projects they are working on.

6 Likes

Wooops… lolz.

It does seem the rumour has changed from sold to leased and now the number also does not relate to the lease fee but the investment package.

If there is some truth to this rumour it seems they definitely didn’t have their facts right before they said it.

Rumor: Embracer Leased Tomb Raider Rights to Amazon for $600 Million (gamerant.com)

If this price tag is accurate then Square management look even more idiotic.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if Amazon tried to acquire Embracer in the coming years. It’s the ideal plan to massively develop their gaming division, boost their subscription/Cloud service (Luna), and obtain a very interesting catalog of IPs (LOTR), and all the related (comics, board games, accessories. …). Yeah, that’s totally in line with what Amazon might want to acquire to grow.

1 Like

Certainly possible & I think Amazon is ready to take its streaming services to the next level.

I’m pretty confident that a lot of gaming companies (Sony, Amazon, Apple, MS, etc) are waiting for the MS/ABK to end to make their move.

4 Likes

Yeah, I can see amazon buying Embracer for a ridiculous amount of money to get their hands on their IP/studios.

They’d get a ton of mid-level IPs and cult classics, but not heavy hitters. If Amazon’s ambition is to simply be a games publisher, Embracer would be a great springboard. If it’s to have exclusive content for Luna, they’re going to have a hard time. MS finally started taking gaming seriously in 2018 and the progress has been relatively slow for them, even though they had a much better starting point back then.

I tend to agree, outside of the IP’s from Crystal, Eidos and Gearbox there isn’t anything I would consider ‘big’.

I want to see what 4A games does next but I feel they are budget constrained, perhaps even more with Embracer.

2 Likes

This is getting off-topic but you need more than big games for a subscription service.

4 Likes

Platinum games and level 5

2 Likes