Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I should add that PSO2 NGS has basically shown Sega wasn’t quite equipped for GaaS. It suffered Halo Infinite syndrome in that updates were sparse and not that amazing and everyone quit the game.

Not sure if that’ll apply to the “super games”. Though I’ll also say that I don’t think the super games underperforming automatically means the end of the company lol.

I thought you were talking about Hyenas, I had no idea Crazy Taxy and Jet Set Radio were going to go GAAS. May God preserve us. Unfortunately, more and more publishers are looking for GAAS to keep them afloat. Look what happened with Ubisoft. I hope SEGA doesn’t end up like this, but if these GAAS fail (which there is a good chance they will) SEGA probably won’t stay independent for much longer.

Microsoft is clearly the publisher that takes the most risk and offers the most varied content. Many new IPs are in development. Will they reach a TLOU or Horizon level? Maybe not, but these studios don’t necessarily have the baggage of Naughty Dog or Guerrilla Games. I think Microsoft is on the right track, we must continue efforts in this direction.

1 Like

I don’t disagree , but it seems Microsoft hasn’t taken the AAA risk on new IPs. There’s no magic formula for creating new IPs and franchises. However , putting AAA budget on new IPs is a major risk imo

Bethesda is part of MS since March 2021 and has released Deathloop, Tokyo Ghostwire, about to release Redfall and Starfield. On the XGS side, you have Avowed, Contraband and some rumored ones.

I don’t count Tokyo or Deathloop since Microsoft didn’t have much to do with them. However, I do count Starfield and Redfall, but yeah it seems the risk for new AAA IPs is happening in the next 3 years based on stuff that’s been announced.

1 Like

I mean, all their “small” studios (except one) have put out games since their acquisition. Obsidian even put out 2. So no, I don’t think that’s the lesson they are taking away.

Avowed, inXile’s game, Contraband, Everwild and those are just the ones we know about lol.

We don’t know the scope of the last 2 , but yeah avowed is going to be huge. Knowing obsidian it will have franchise potential

You don’t. We do. Producer - Contraband - Avalanche Studios Group

5 Likes

Nice, looking forward to it

Yeah as much as I love Sega and their IP. Sega is currently in pre Capcom success phase.

They are similar to Square Enix in that they don’t know how to turn the ship around and haven’t done and correcting of the Ship.

Phantasy Star should have been the game they put all their effort in to reignite their fanbase but they half assed it and built it off the existing game.

The rest of their IP haven’t done so well. Even Sonic fans are glad that at least Sonic Frontiers didn’t score below 60, 70 is just fine for us Sonic fans.

MS acquiring them wouldn’t lead to a better Sega. MS is too hands off and as we have seen with 343 and other first party studios don’t tend to get involved.

That’s why if they acquire any companies they need to acquire companies whose biggest issue is lack of funding. Not lack of leadership, talent, or direction.

To be fair I don’t think a hands off approach is necessarily the same as “business as usual” for a company. I think Blizzard is a good example of this - there has been a bunch of reports of higher ups from activision messing around with the game production and introducing new policies that mess with the staff. Just giving a studio like Blizzard the creative freedom to make the kind of content they want to make without interferance is already a marked improvement.

Don’t really know if this applies to Sega or not though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Sega is actually doing fine and putting out a ton of high-quality games.

2 Likes

While you make some great points especially about PSO, I respectfully have to disagree that Sega would not greatly benefit from being acquired by Xbox, as a side point no gaming company begins to compare to how terrible square is being managed right now. Back to Sega they seem to be falling prey to the gaas problem plaguing the industry right now and Xbox could save them from that problem immediately, also no rushing out frontiers delay and let the team from Xbox come in and get rid of all that pop in and properly utilize the game for the hardware, then allow smaller teams to get back to doing what Sega did best crazy unique smaller games without worry about ROI ala hi-fi rush, that would be a boon for gamepass along with back compat games.Lots of Sega’s problems solved by being acquired and not having to worry about a board or investors.

1 Like

The Sega part of Sega Sammy is pullin in 225B yen in revenue, while Capcom is pulling in 110B yen. Sega might have some non-gaming product lines, idk. If MS is looking purely at video game acqusitions, then Sega is an inconvenient target as it would recquire an immediate divestment of some branches.

[quote=“Buckeye, post:7738, topic:11869”] about PSO, I respectfully have to disagree that Sega would not greatly benefit from being acquired by Xbox, as a side point no gaming company begins to compare to how terrible square is being managed right now. Back to Sega they seem to be falling prey to the gaas problem plaguing the industry right now[/quote] Hmmm Microsoft has a ton of GAAS games in its portfolio…

It seem Embracer just flip and sold Tomb Raider to Amazon for 600 million, making a nice profit.

Seem Embracer is gone to sell and try to make profits from all of the Studios and IP they buy. I’m Hoping Xbox get in on that.

3 Likes

Where did you see this?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1620095103795601409?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1620095103795601409|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

That doesn’t mention an acquisition only that they are publishing the next game which we already knew.

I found this article but it’s just a rumour:

2 Likes

I think it a little more than a Rumor… For 600m they will get the IP, gaming rights and movie rights, everything. If true Square Enix is so dumb like wtf are they doing? selling that to Embracer for so cheap in the first place.

1 Like