Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Didn’t Tencent previously play down rumours that they would have to divest any of their assets? I would imagine the CCP would want it’s fingers in as many pies as possible rather than less.

Bad news for Ubisoft😬

Also it is good that the workers are striking but it sucks how awful the management at Ubisoft is.

There is no need for riot if they have blizzard. If they want money, buy some Korean mobile publishers.

They should be buying where they are lacking. Jrpgs, third Person action. You know, the only games that count :rofl:apparently etc.

yeah but still thats just one ip i think that article is kinda giving them too much value considering they r already acquired by tencent i think they r just doing guesstimation

I think the point is they would rake in a ton of money for MS more than IP.

1 Like

Yep if just one IP (LoL) brought in $1.75 billion in annual revenue on its own, I can’t imagine how much money they are generating. Especially when you factor in their other IP such as Valorant (which is also very successful) and Runeterra or even their successful media franchises such as Arcane.

Then you have all their e-sports and upcoming titles too!

Easily one of the most profitable publishers per headcount right now.

The concept of this game, that I’ve spent over 200 hours is a beautiful one, unfortunately it was hindered by last gen consoles. That should not be a problem next time and be the game CDPR had in mind. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but Spoiler Warning with how the different endings have you always leave Night City, I think the sequel will be in Japan. End Spoiler Warning. I Look forward to what they have planned next and hope after ABK is bought MS will get CDPR next.

Microsoft doesn’t need to buy everything. I can definitely understand them coming in and buying devs or publishers needing help to unleash their potential. I think CDPR is fine on its own and considering they don’t really have their own IP other than Witcher. If ABK goes through it be best to focus on bringing devs from other parts of the world in that can develop stories from around the world. Partnership such as that with RIOT might be best for devs like CDPR.

I think Microsoft will continue acquiring companies with big IP that can last. Studios and tech become dated, but IP if good enough can last.

but tencent aint allowing it i dont think they gonna sell their cash cow

It would be amazing if Microsoft owned both Blizzard and Riot, but I can’t see Tencent selling anything.

It feels like the end for Ubisoft. Sad news. I hope someone will be able to save them from the chaos.

I agree, and I think that will be their priority for future acquisitions. However, I can see some exceptions, like Asobo (or Certain Affinity), which does not have a big IP but is an extremely talented studio and is close to Microsoft. But I think that the acquisition of this type of studio (without IP) will become an exception.

Yes, but be absorb by someone.

5 years is a long time, it will be impressive if they can stay independent all that time. Most game companies are struggling to stay independent.

Either way I think they will still be going in 5 years, the question really is are they still independent or owned by someone else.

1 Like

Kinda. They will either be bought by Microsoft, close shop selling their major IP and some studios to Microsoft or drastically reduce their headcount to sub 8,000 and maybe focus on Creed, Far Cry, Division, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon and thats it. …which will arguably make them even cheaper and easier to buy.

I think Amazon could make a move.

As long as it isn’t Tencent I don’t mind who acquires them.

Yeah as of now I cannot see Ubisoft remaining independent for much longer. There will probably be a company that acquires them before that but it will be interesting to see who it is.

Especially with the current leadership and management.

Assuming the ABK deal goes through I think Microsoft acquiring them within the next 5 years would be tricky. A few issues Microsoft would have to face is whether or not all the different governments would approve the deal. The next biggest factor is addressing all of the employees. After today I am sure there would be massive layoffs across Ubisoft which would cause a ton of adversity.

The possible scenario is maybe Ubisoft could sell off some of their teams and studios individually with IP’s involved making it more appealing for a larger acquisition.

Amazon is possible but I don’t think they are going to make a big move like that if they have to lay off a bunch of employees in the process.

4 Likes

Yeah it’s a notoriously difficult and a long/expensive process and result in bad PR to lay off French staff let alone thousands,looking at some other cases i know. I think any buyer would prefer them to restructure themselves first and then make an offer even at a much higher price.

1 Like

Really like your way of looking at this and the studios named. I’d add Crytek (engine, visuals, good support, experience etc).

Part of me thinks they will grab small studios like Compulsion rather than the bigger studios for better or worse.

1 Like

Hopefully the image is decent but here’s a list I made ages ago of studios (mostly western) and publishers alongside their IP I found note worthy.

Funny how I made this years ago and now after finding this forum see people say the same.

10 Likes

That list is awesome!

1 Like