Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

We have found a match of @peter42O finally

2 Likes

Hahaha. Yeah, im definitely a Ubisoft fanboy!!! lol :slight_smile:

I don’t recall this but wouldn’t surprise me if true. FC 4 is my favorite and Vaas is my favorite antagonist. Wish Ubisoft would combine them. FC 6 is like New Dawn with RPG elements and whatnot. Between FC 5 and 6, both were disappointing for me and it’s a tie. I love that FC 6 has a voice protagonist like it should and the world/location is excellent but I hate the RPG elements and the structure of the game. Plus the AI was horrible. For FC 5, I love the structure and location but disliked the silent protagonist and hated the random kidnapping that would occur at certain points. Yeah, give me FC 4!!! lol

I think with Infinity, they’ll do both and co-op/multi-player. Infinity is supposed to the HUB where you can access these separate types of AC games. I love the RPG elements in AC Origins/Odyssey. I do prefer the longer story in Odyssey but im not a fan of the dialogue choices. Prefer Origins where the script is all preset. I feel that is a better fit for AC than dialogue choices. We’ll see how Mirage is. I love stealth but im not a fan of social stealth at all because your character is ALWAYS so out of place and it’s lie, does nobody notice that? lol

I actually enjoyed Watch Dogs 2014. Loved the hacking and the car chases were good because you could cause so many accidents and stuff. It was so enjoyable especially when compared to WD 2 and Legion. But yeah, definitely needs a break.

Agree completely. With Division in particular, I was hoping for it to be a platform where they just add future expansions in different locations within the U.S. or overseas. Also, would have been great to perhaps be in California where Earthquakes would play a part in the game. To where you have to avoid falling into the damn earth but enemies would have to do the same or other states with tornadoes and you have to avoid it during firefights. Like, there’s so much that they could potentially do.

Hahaha. Thanks. But no, im just a regular 44 year old guy who loves games. lol.

It was an Xbox 360/PS3 game released in 2011 by Ubisoft. It’s one of my favorites from that generation and I am a huge Housemarque fan. Hehe.

Agreed. Kingdom Battle was great and I have Sparks of Hope but it will be a while before I play it.

I know they are but no, I haven’t. Rayman is weird for me. The character isn’t a full body. It’s just body parts and I can’t get past that. It’s just weird to me. lol. When Ubisoft+ goes on Xbox, maybe I’ll give them a chance.

The videos they showed where they’re flying around with the other airships and having dogfights, it looked amazing and visually, still easily holds up today. But yeah, who knows what they’re doing over there. Ubi doesn’t have a clue. My favorite studio is Massive. Love Division 1 and 2. And then probably, Montreal who I believe did Black Flag and Origins which are my top 2 AC games.

Yeah, true. Probably would be worth keeping I guess. But if they take huge resources and personnel, then I probably would say get rid of them. If it’s small 20 person teams, then okay. lol

Cool. Hahaha. It isn’t. I’m waiting for Brit to post a “green” post about being off-topic. lol

1 Like

Ubisoft games are beloved by millions of people of course, it’s just the hardcore forums that love crapping on them all the time

3 Likes

Not all Ubi games are popular though and that’s a problem, nearly every Ubi game that released this year tanked, hence the company’s in trouble. Plus Ubisoft’s model of ‘slightly bigger and slightly prettier than last time’ since to have come at an inflection point where the rise of production costs outweighs the increase of revenue generated by those cookie cutter open world games.

Anywho, I doubt Microsoft will attempt to purchase another video games publisher. Games are becoming increasingly important for the company, but it’s primarily an enterprise and cloud company and being stuck in a legal limbo war against FTC for yet another games publisher is a no-go, they’ll probably want to be free to look for opportunities in other industries (like they bought that company for $20B two years ago just for medical patents),

AC Mirage info and details are sounding great. Old school style Ass Creed, even though i like the New style AC games to.

I actually like that Ubisoft games are packed full with many side content, as long as they are optional which they are, it fine… not really bloat i feel.

True, how else would their big games keep selling 10’s of millions of copies while people on forums seem to hate it so much. :rofl:

Agree with the first part.

Second part I love with Origins/Odyssey but because Valhalla felt off combat and gameplay wise, it just felt way too big. Took me 80 hours or so just to do all the story arcs. I barely did anything else.

Really looking forward to Mirage.

I think FTC can only block in their jurisdiction. Also, with Microsoft knowing the FTC stance they can wait to run timer on them making sure any block goes immediately to Federal court.

It will certainly be interesting if Microsoft manages to get the ABK acquisition through and then is undeterred in big acquisitions. Would that essentially signal that Lina Khan has failed, and would that impact her continued position at the FTC and the general discretion to waste money that they currently have? Will be especially interesting if the FTC is significantly weakened by the Supreme Court.

Not to mention they own Gust, which makes great JRPGs, too.

Ubisoft has a market cap of less than $3billion and over 20 thousand employees. No publisher can absorb that many without mass layoffs. According to jeff Grubb they have already approached many to sell but were laughed out. I doubt Xbox can acquire them just based on the staff maybe Sony would want to, but the PR of layoff will destroy their standing in the industry. However, I think Netflix or Amazon could. Netflix will benefit from the IP content added to their original programming and they could use the large staff as teams for hire to other video game publishers just like Crystal Dynamics and Eidos are now. the same can be for Amazon.

On the topic of Asian developers how about BLUESIDE the developers of the KUF series :: BLUESIDE :: The devs seem to have hit a hard time since their time on Xbox. They released games like Circle of Doom, 99 Nights and the KUF games. Also, when they were Phantagram they had ambition for titles like STRIDENT (Battle Angel Alita like game) and DUALITY. Strident: The Shadow Front trailer - YouTube Duality trailer (canceled game) - YouTube . Duality doesn’t look to far off from Epics UE 4 Infiltrator demo. UE4 Infiltrator Real-Time Demo | Unreal Engine - YouTube

1 Like

Actually wouldn’t mind this. Those were some really fun RTS/ action games.

To each his own. Me, i actually like long ass game lol

1 Like

Nice. Korean devs have come far in such a short time. The upcoming Stellar blade that Sony is publishing is from the former artist of the Magna Carta games.

Lina khan’s tenure ends in 2024. I doubt she’ll be able to do much which is why she latched on to this deal. If Microsoft tries for another big acquisition, it will probably be under another chair. If anything, it’s the regulators around the world Microsoft will have to worry about. In any case I don’t think there is any deal that could be bigger than this especially with the looming recession.

I can see Microsoft acquiring riot games from Tencent because of the growing tension between China and the US over Taiwan. Tencent might be forced to sell Riot Games, and their partnership with Microsoft could be an exit strategy for them to divest their ownership.

1 Like

Personally I can’t ever see Tencent letting go of their cash cow but it would be a no brainer for Microsoft.

The only issue is cost, there is no way it’s going for its original $400 million when it brings in $1.5B per year in revenue. It’s likely going to be a 5B-10B+ acquisition. This article suggests they are worth over $20B which puts them in the same realm as Take-Two!

1 Like

i dont think they r that much big

Even though Tencent wouldn’t want to divest from Riot they wouldn’t have a choice because Riot is an American company. The Chinese government has a controlling shares in Tencent and will be problematic in the future for Tencent. We already seeing examples of legislation to ban Tik Tok and Byte Dance being forced to look for potential Buyers on their Western portion of the business. The Chinese government has made it their objective to sit on every Chinese Big Tech companies’ board and own controlling shares so that they can control the direction of these companies.

1 Like

I agree they aren’t worth what that article suggested ($21B), however looking at their revenue again it appears they are making upwards of $1.8 Billion a year in revenue.

In 2020 League of Legends alone earned them $1.75 Billion in annual revenue.

It would definitely make them one of the biggest publishers on their own as they are earning more than some of the more renowned publishers such as Capcom. For comparison Ubisoft generates around $2.3B in revenue but has 700% more employees (2,500 vs 20,000).