Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Curious question: Can Foreign Companies(Like Take Two or Sony) acquire game companies,mobile or otherwise, from within China? Cause am seeing a lot of buzz over with Sony making timed exclusives with some Chinese Game Companies. So am wondering if Microsoft would do the same in the long run. If so, which one would they be looking at?

It seems that Chinese law on foreign business investments has changed significantly since I was in school, there’s a pretty dramatic change that went into effect back in 2020. Used to require joint ventures where the foreign entity couldn’t own more than half and a Chinese firm owned the other half, and I kind of wonder if some of these changes are why Activision is stopping their agreement they had for mobile games in China, as it might make it easier for them to run it on their own now.

1 Like

I think Capcom will be Microsoft’s next acquisition

I see many saying that there will be nothing after Activision Blizzard King… last April 25th Microsoft published a post that they are looking for an experienced strategic acquisition analyst who understands the key dynamics of the industry.

Phil Spencer himself mentioned that they intend to continue to acquire and according to Imran Khan XBOX would have discussed with several major publishers in Japan for a possible acquisition.

XBOX a encore une faible présence au Japon et en Asie en particulier mais depuis le rachat de Bethesda ils comptent Shinji Mikami dans leurs rangs qui peut les aider a renforcer des liens avec les Studios Japonais. Shinji Mikami est le papa de Resident Evil, DmC…

Something that nobody expected this week Monster Hunter Rise will land in the XBOX Gamepass Day ONE in 2023 ( thanks to @klobrille )

We know that Microsoft is working on a Monster Hunter Like with Certain Affinity… So why acquire the rights to Monster Hunter if they are already developing a game like this? :thinking: The answer is InXile and Obsidian who have a philosophy close to Bethesda’s RPG… Yet Microsoft acquired the 3 simply because Microsoft seeks to own the most popular games, legendary by genre

FPS: DOOM Sandbox: Minecraft RPG: The Elder Scrolls MMO: World of Warcraft RTS: Starcraft Hack’n Slash Diablo …

Capcom owns the most popular licenses in many genres that XBOX has not popularized

Survival Horror: Residen Evil Vs Fighting: Street Fighter Monster Hunter (one of the most popular licenses in Japan) DmC: BTA …

Capcom is probably the best-performing Japanese publisher in the West, and it also performs very well in Japan. XBOX during its takeovers also evokes proprietary technologies such as game engines and the RE Engine is an excellent engine.

12 Likes

Sega + Capcom combo would be perfect.

8 Likes

I am convinced that the next video game publisher to be acquired by Microsoft will be Ubisoft, Capcom, or SEGA. Ubisoft is an amazing opportunity that can’t be ignored, and Capcom/SEGA are fantastic options in Asia. If Microsoft buys these 3, I wouldn’t ask for more.

Beyond the video game industry and following current rumours, I’m beginning to think that Disney would really be an interesting acquisition, perfectly in line with the strategy of the two companies. Microsoft and Disney share the same values ​​and have already signed numerous partnerships. Ubisoft and Gameloft would be the perfect formula to productively develop the Disney gaming universe (not counting the other studios that would also do great things). I don’t know if it will happen, but it’s an idea that I like and that I would like to see happen. And in the non-gaming options, Spotify and Discord (even if they refused a first time) would be good options to complete Microsoft’s offer and create a multimedia service.

But going back to video games, Ubisoft, Capcom and SEGA are accessible and would be incredible for Microsoft’s catalog.

5 Likes

I’m still feeling like the next acquisitions will be some individual studios that fill out the roster for XGS, Bethesda and even ABK once that wraps up. There are a lot of unused IP that have huge potential and just need developers. There are also holes in popular genres (yes, a publisher is probably better for filling holes, but I think some holes are best filled with targetted acquisitions).

I think NRS is still on the cards.

5 Likes

I doubt any publishers for a while. They will probably get studios.

1 Like

I agree with you the next big publisher purchase will probably be Ubisoft just makes to much sense, but Sega is ripe with opportunity also. I would love Capcom but I just don’t see them wanting to sell they are doing better right now than they ever have. I am hopeful that in between ABK and the next publisher they can get 5 or 6 individual studios to help fill out the portfolio. My picks would be certain affinity, asobo, double eleven, platinum ,crytek, avalanche if they are available.

9 Likes

If I remember correctly Capcom is not used anywhere in the regulators docs because they have less than 1% of the game industry. Shocking if true. If true, then it should make it very easy to acquire.

Could be wrong on this. Myabe they didnt want to make it look uglier by adding more companies.

I don’t think MS will be able to buy ubisoft, atleast not without being heavily scrutinized

It is one the companies which do subscription service similar to Gamepass on PC

Given ABK is seriously in the balance and risks being blocked then there is absolutely no chance they will be targeting large publishers in the near future. I suspect they need some studios and maybe a support studio or two because one thing they need is better agility between projects and the ability to have some free resource to help out when studios need.

If ABK doesn’t happen then they will I suspect go for studios to grow their roster of games.

If ABK happens then I think it might be a while as they look and evaluate what options they’ve got. I think it might then be buying studios who can resurrect some dormant IPs.

1 Like

Well they’re not hugely valuable compared to ABK and none of their IP are on the level of TES or Fallout and they passed ownership unscathed and exclusive.

The biggest issue is regulators claiming ABK+Zenimax+Ubisoft is too much. But that hasnt stopped Embracer.

Ubisoft easily have IP’s comparable to Zenimax.

Fallout 4 sold 13.5 million copies.

Assassin’s Creed Valhalla has sold over 20 million copies.

Watchdogs, Division, FarCry and Tom Clancy titles often surpass 10-15 million copies.

1 Like

Regulators can claim that “it must be blocked because it is too much”. There should be a legal reason for the block. With ABK deal closing, it will be very hard to justify blocking any other acquisition. Especially with none of the publsihers having a game like COD anymore. ABK deal (and all the problems surrounding it) is one of the hardest and biggest acquisitions that can possibly happen in gaming.

Still, I maintain my stance that Microsoft is not buying Ubisoft.

Sega + Capcom. Big in Japan. Make it happen.

Those 13.5m were in it’s first 3 days or something like that, it’s likely over 25/30m at this point

Ubisoft have big IP but they do absolutely nothing for me and havn’t since the Vegas days, one of the worst pubs out there, creatively bankrupt and have an insane about of dev bloat, they have like 20000 devs and pump out constant mediocrity

Based on Phil’s words and what they will have after ABK, im hoping they are done with the west and are looking to the east

2 Likes

phil has been saying he wants a japanese studio since 2019 lol after that bethesda happened and activision too

7 Likes

Activision is only like 4% of the games industry if I remember correctly, Xbox + Activision make up less than 11% total. I’d imagine most smaller publishers are less than 1%.

Embracer owns a lot of studios numerically but most are pretty small, they’re not really that big overall.

6 Likes

So you would simply ignore my reason (ubisoft+) all together?

Yes I agree. I think Microsoft would only get significant blowback for buying EA, Take 2 or Nintendo. Even then a simple “GTA for 10 years” will get it through.

At that point though i dont think it would matter.