Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Oh, wow. Did not know that. I wonder when they did buy that?

I would be shocked if Apple ever acquires a publisher, they already make more revenue than Xbox and don’t have to pay any real overhead for development costs. In short they are making money hand over fist with their current model. Why would they take any risk?

My bad. Very confusing, apparently Apple Records is owned by Apple Corps, which is not the same thing as Apple Inc. Apple Corps also just calls themselves Apple even though they arent the 1 trillion dollar corporation that clearly has that name trademarked…

Sorry for the bad info :grimacing:

2 Likes

I believe Microsoft next purchase could be a tech company that could help them with making a Xbox handheld. Logitech could be an interesting pick up for Microsoft and could allows them to work on Xbox handheld for cloud running on windows instead of Logitech recent device which runs on an android. Also they could possible make a native device down the road

I don’t think it makes sense for Microsoft - they are able to produce their own devices already and invest in ARM and other stuff.

Yeah, no reason they couldn’t work with the surface team for that. Logitech probably has less experience with that kind of device than Microsoft already does.

1 Like

But but… The big tech will become bigger

That’s the issue /s

1 Like

Valve could have been interesting because it owns Steam Deck, Valve Index, and Steam, but unfortunately it no longer develops games. Then the question of the monopoly of PC platforms would probably be raised if Microsoft added Steam to its collection.

I still think Disney+ Microsoft could work (much better than Disney+ Apple), although I don’t see that happening and that’s not really where I want to see Microsoft put their money.

The more I read Sony’s ridiculous statements, the more I want Microsoft to continue to be aggressive in gaming acquisitions and knock Sony out. So I’m crossing my fingers that ABK be validated (it would be a shame if that wasn’t the case), and that Ubisoft and Capcom are next (and SEGA even if it wouldn’t cause so much chaos).

I love Playstation games, but I’m tired of seeing them dominate the market and openly piss off the world. It’s time for things to change.

5 Likes

Tbh I want this ABK deal to fail so xbox get Japanese publishers asap. Personally, the ABK means nothing to me since they probably will keep everything multiplatform.

1 Like

If the deal fails it’s likely to take just as long if not longer if Microsoft want to push this into court. The fastest way this gets resolved is by the existing timeline to close by June.

5 Likes

Yeah, I never understood those who advocate for this deal to fail. It will literally take more time on litigation and I will turn the whole previous year into a waste of time

8 Likes

Tbh, I don’t really think MS will rush into another major acquisition of this one fails. They’ll probably take some time, reevaluate their strategy, and decide that studios are a safer investment.

Wishing it fails is pretty short sighted and doesn’t help any of us, whether you care about this deal or not.

7 Likes

I think this arguments are dumb, because if this deal falls through then that’s a clear line in the sand on any notion of MS acquiring publishers.

small devs here and there? sure, but I think if the deal fails Microsoft ain’t acquiring a single pub, and even fi the deal goes through, they want to maintain a low profile for some time. any future acquisitions big or small, is gonna have to go through the same regulators, who are ripping this current one a new asshole.

it’s a nonsensical argument that doesn’t understand the full consequences of what it means if this deal is blocked

6 Likes

I don’t think this deal will fail but if it does, as others have said i would love it if they started throwing their money at exclusivity deals outbidding Sony. Hell go after year exclusivity on GTA 6. The 360 gen they relied too much on third parties, now they have a huge first party. I think a combo of both would be good.

They can still buy up smaller Dev’s, just not 50 billion plus devs lol

Have I mentioned I hate the ABK-deal? lol

Of course I hope it goes through, otherwise it’s a colossal waste of time, opportunities and momentum.

10 Likes

That’s where Sony should have been careful, these companies are way less valued on stock, Microsoft could have jumped to the throat for teh lulz, buying ABK could even likely end the chance of ever buying Sega for example. I’m not even considering the nuclear option which is removing existing MS games from Playstation.

This. I said it in this forum before but it was an unpopular opinion. MS should have gone on a spending spree for smaller devs first before finishing with a big dev.

The chance of getting any big dev or publisher is a lot harder now unless the ABK deal falls apart. No way MS would be able to get an EA, Ubisoft, or TakeTwo. I doubt a Sega deal could even happen.

Sony can fight tooth and nail with any future acquisitions and have more of a reason to stop it.

Microsoft will acquire what they want. And ABK deal clearly demonstrates what Microsoft wants. The fact they were in talks wit Bungie before ABK was even on the table, tells the direction of where Microsoft wants to go.

Even with ABK, Microsoft still won’t be in any position where other deals (like EA or T2, granted I don’t see them happening anyway) can be blocked.

And they will get nothing aside burned bridges in the end.

I agree on EA and Take Two (an acquisition seems absolutely impossible to me), but Microsoft can still acquire Ubisoft or any other publisher below 10 billion dollars. ABK is making noise because it is a huge 70 billion dollar company. I don’t think that means the publisher acquisitions are over. Microsoft still needs to acquire studios and IPs for its service. Deals with third parties are expensive (up to 100 million dollars according to the latest information), while publishers like Ubisoft, SEGA, or Capcom are valued at less than 5 billion. I think Microsoft wants to invest more in its FP content than in short-term partnerships. I think Microsoft can still acquire 1 or 2 small publishers without problem. Sony can scream and cry, there is no valid argument that could prevent the acquisition of these small publishers.

4 Likes