Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

I’d rather they go for certain affinity, io interactive, asobo, crystal dynamics and eidos Montreal than another publisher

1 Like

How about both! buy back Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal from Embracer.

After that go for smaller PUBS… ones that are under 10 billion, more so in the 4-6 billion range:

Like Sega, Ubisoft…

1 Like

A publisher gives them not only a bunch of studios but a large library of IP, past and present

I guess it depends on the publisher though, if I had the choice between those studios and the small amount of IPs they bring id still choose those over something like Ubisoft

But if it was Capcom or Sega vs those studios then id choose the former in a heartbeat

True. Also a big back catalog.

CD project Red should be there next target

What use are IPs without talent though. I guess Capcom and sega. But those studios I’ve listed will absolutely make bangers when given a 1st party budget.

Asobo would be the next ninja theory under Xbox. Crystal dynamics and eidos can take it to the next level.

Publishers come with a shit load of talent too though? im not sure what your point is

A good publisher will give them talent, studios as well as IP that massively bulks up the GP library from the past as well as all relevant franchises going forward

Individual studios get you talent sure, maybe an IP or 2 if you’re lucky, providing that they actually own those IPs and aren’t just licensing them

Arguable with Sega, lol.

Man…

Ninja Theory, Asobo, Crystal Dynamics and Eidos would be an unstoppable force for those big narrative action adventure games under Xbox.

That in my opinion would bring equal competition to those type of titles on PlayStation. Interestingly Naughty Dog was essentially born out of former Crystal Dynamics employees.

1 Like

I feel a lot of Sega’s issues comes from mismanagement, something like Sonic could be an absolutely huge IP along the lines of Mario yet iirc, they had like 50 people working on Frontiers? Just makes no sense to me

They do have a lot of talent there though, the PC /strategy stuff they do there seems to always be well received, Atlus are killing it these days and Yakuza is more popular than ever

They’d definitely be excellent gets for Xbox, I just wouldn’t take them over some of the publishers out there if that’s what MS was interested in

Id be all for either though :phil_lmao:

1 Like

Only Sonic Team though :rofl:

As long as the teams are not unique (like NRS) and if they are not getting acquired by someboody else, I don’t see Microsoft going after them. Like if Tencent is planning to buy Asobo, I can see Microsoft going after them but otherwise - not necessary.

I do wonder what was there plan before ABK? I guess some acquisitions are not in the cards anymore (for example some publishers decided not to sale anymore and so on).

I agree there will be some sort of pause so as not to attract negative press, but if ABK goes through its a signal that more is there for the taking too. If ABK is okay, how would Capcom for instance be a tipping point or somehow reason to block?

I guess if it was too soon they could say Xbox is applying monopolstic tendencies by acquiring so quickily, but Im not really sure since we havent seen that argument play out before.

Sega is actually extremely talented.

5 Likes

Hey now, while you could argue that for one or two teams at Sega, I think it would be a massive disservice and a bit of willful ignorance to claim that for the vast majority of Sega. RRG is world-class, Creative Assembly and Relic are both masters at their respective genres and consistently pump out the best-received RTS titles (and CA is no slouch outside of that genre either), and Atlus’ teams are not only incredibly efficient but equally well-received. I could go on, but the point is, I wouldn’t dismiss Sega at all because of a single team’s issues, which likely are down to budget (something all of Sega suffers from) and management/scope shifts over the project cycle.

13 Likes

You’re right, I’m an old school Sega fan boy so when I think Sega I am primarily thinking the core internal studios of old (which seem to be not much beyond RGG and Sonic Team nowadays).

3 Likes

I doubt NRS will come without WBD. The company does not seem to want to sell its studios.

The three publishers are very good and each have their strengths, in any case it will be a very good acquisition for Microsoft’s catalog. I would also like studio acquisitions, but I think it’s best to focus on publishers while Microsoft is still “small”. That said, there are some great acquisitions to be made and I would understand that Microsoft wants to secure certain studios.

Indeed, Capcom and SEGA are quite small in the industry (contrary to their fame), they shouldn’t be a problem.

Indeed, that could be a problematic point, although the number of subscribers must be ridiculous. I think there are enough arguments for the acquisition of Ubisoft not to be a problem, but it is obviously an element not to be overlooked.

I would love for Microsoft to buy these two, but it still has to be able to acquire 2 Japanese publishers (and these two publishers want to be acquired). If so, that would be a really nice combo.

I would also like a Japanese publisher, but I think there is still work to be done in the West. Ubisoft is a great opportunity and would very easily strengthen Microsoft’s position in Europe (and worldwide). Take Two is probably of interest to Microsoft, but I doubt it’s possible after ABK (maybe 1% chance of it happening). So the best thing to do is to acquire Ubisoft or to acquire studios with an interesting catalog of games (CDPR, IOI, Eidos, CD…) but which would necessarily have less effect than Ubisoft (apart from CDPR which is huge). That said, a publisher like Capcom would also have a big effect in the West/Europe, making it an acquisition that makes as much sense as Ubisoft’s.

If the rumors are true, discussions have taken place with several Japanese publishers. Fingers crossed that these eventually come true.

Totally agree. In any case it should be one of the next targets without a doubt.

If the rumors are true, probably Capcom, SEGA, Take Two, and maybe Ubisoft. I hope these discussions will resume after ABK. Microsoft has made it clear that there is a lack of FP games in GP and ABK won’t fix that in the short term, so another publisher will likely arrive around 2023/2024.

Studios related to DC IPs like Rocksteady probably won’t happen, but NRS should be still on the cards.

Rumors of what? Acquisitions don’t leak. I don’t think T2 or Ubisoft were on the cards. Sega probably too as Microsoft decided to go strategic alliance. That leaves only Capcom basically as I don’t see anybody is buying Square Enix anyway.

3 Likes

Playful for family content, platinum for hack n slash

And asobo for everything

Do you think TT is still on the cards aswell?

1 Like

TT potentially is. Especially after losing exclusive Lego IP license.

7 Likes

WB is bleeding money so much money they are in the process of making a deal with Amazon to put DC Cartoons on Prime instead of their own Max streaming service. So I wouldn’t be shocked if NRS/TT/Midway IP would be on the table if the right price is offered

1 Like