Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Square Enix it is then

Huge chunk of their revenue is coming from smart devices. They also have a MMO.

There are not manny companies that has presence in mobile while also contributing to PC / console gamingn in any shape or form.

Will be funny if it turns out to be Cygames :joy:

3 Likes

From Phil himself:

"As a percent of the overall gaming business, console business is shrinking, because the overall business is growing while console stays relatively flat, as does PC. "

"It’s critical that if you’re trying to run an at-scale global gaming business, you meet your customers where they want to play, and mobile is more and more that place. "

“I also think our studio organizations need to be great at building many different kinds of games that many different kinds of players play.”

5 Likes

I wonder what’s they are gonna do when mobile growth will stop :thinking: Granted there are many ways to nickel and dime people these days :joy:

Killing 2 bird with 1 stone, you expand your business on mobile aswell that you get a stronger position in japan, and sure I agreed that xbox should let some games come to other platforms aswell because they will not get a huge audience being exclusive, but afterall we all know that the only way that phil and his team could expand in japan is through xcloud and mobile titles, still I want to see them support AAA titles there

Where does he say that?

In case of Square Enix I can see FF being multiplat because Microsoft would do something that Sony and Square Enix would not - grow the FF IP. Kingdom Hearts is partially Disney owned IP, Dragon Quest is partially owned by somebody else.

Granted I still don’t see Square Enix happening.

Still I believe that Capcom is the next. Monster Hunter on mobile would be huge.

Mostly implied. Phil has talked a lot about their mobile ambitions to building a mobile store because of Apple and Google duopoly, high growth of mobile, that mobile is the focus of the ABK deal, etc.

It’s selfish I know but if they are going for something mobile related I hope it’s a publisher that has a mobile presence like ABK did rather than something that’s purely mobile

I really don’t see them buying anything with pure mobile presence like at all. They need something for Game Pass. That’s why ABK deal is such a great pick.

I think the key point is less focusing on mobile and more expanding to hit more markets at once. They said it themselves recenty - console growth for game pass has hit a bottle neck as they now have realistically as many customers as they will get from their existing console userbase (but that will naturally expand as their console market share does) - it’s time to start pushing PC Gamepass and in the future smart phone game pass and giving people access to everything beyond just their console base. It’s smart, and it makes Activision Blizzard King a far better acquisition than we maybe gave credit for.

Yea, ABK was the perfect opportunity for them in pretty much everyway

Massive on PC with Blizzard, massive on console with CoD as well as other big IPs like Crash/Tony Hawk + back catalog for GP and massive on mobile

What other pubs are there out there that have a big mobile presence though? They seem to be done with western devs for now

Konami :joy: Though Bamco is also strong there.

Though I think some korean publishers like Nexon or NCSoft are pretty big. But at the same time they do not bring much to consoles.

Yeah, I agree.

1 Like
3 Likes

The future publishers will grow from smaller but talented studio acquistions. Just like it always happens.

3 Likes

TakeTwo have a big mobile precense after Zynga, once Zynga start adapting even more of T2’s and 2K’s properties to mobile they will be humongous!

1 Like

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but COUGH Halfbrick COUGH

That is what Microsoft needs from King with all their IPs

1 Like

Yeah, after ABK deal I don’t see them going after other big western publishers at all. I do wonder if King might buy some other companies independently though :thinking:

I believe it will be an asian publisher with preferable mobile presence.

1 Like

That’s true. Jumpship is a great pickup for Thunderful Games

Take Two with Zynga.

1 Like