Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

Well, Blizzard is a big publisher by itself. They are bigger than Capcom and slightly smaller than Square Enix. They are more tightly coupled than other publishers, but still Blizzard is a publisher.

ABK is an acquisition of three publishers at once - Activision, Blizzard and King. If we take ABK 70b and split it by revenue to approx. estimate the market cap - ABK deal is the acquisition of Activision(30b), Blizzard (16b), King (23b). Some parts are probably bigger or less. For example King might be around 15b instead and Blizzard is at 10b, while Activision is 40-50b. But I just split it by revenue.

So basically Microsoft have bought 4 publishers - Bethesda, Activision, Blizzard and King - at this point.

10 Likes

I wonder if post acquisition they will split them back out to individual publishers again.

E.g. Blizzard reports directly to Phil and not ABK management.

4 Likes

Hard to say. Honestly - no idea.

1 Like

I have thought about this also and hope they do, as I think it will be easier to manage and change the culture for the better

2 Likes

This may sound stupid but what wash the money threshold for the exhaustive investigation of an acquisition again?

I don´t know, I get the ABK is a good opportunity, but if this fails or something, Xbox may have to se their sights in other type of purchases.

I think either 100m or 90m.

And exchaustive investigation has no threshold I think. For example Bungie did not have a deep investigation .

That low? So the Bethesda one had one too, no? I don´t remember. I now feel like the purchase process was silky-smooth.

I am not sure. I don’t think Bethesda had a deep investigation either as nobody complained. ABK is an outliner.

I remember it being silky smooth but I wasn’t reading daily forum posts on the subject at the time :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This Activision deal is the largest acquisition in tech industry. Bethesda didn’t get nearly as much attention.

1 Like

Let’s just say there’s many reasons why I’d prefer individual studios next. The months of bickering and overreacting each bit of news (and non-news) was exhausting. And now we’ve experienced that twice.

Also, many people got triggered by the word “some”. Gotta love (hate) it!:joy:

7 Likes

If it fails sega is inevitable tbh.

Definitely not a biased post btw, definitely not because I love yakuza games and that studio btw.

1 Like

If it succeeds Sega is inevitable. :slight_smile:

Microsoft would rather spend $3B on lawyer fees and walk away with ABK then give ABK $3B as pennance and walk away with nothing.

1 Like

I read your answers… maybe I am overestimating what the Bethesda acquisition meant and understimating what the ABK one could entail?

:man_shrugging:t3:

On Bethesda

• Bethesda acquisition changed nothing on a big stage. Games like the next Doom, Elder Scrolls etc. are years away and even with Starfield it would not move the needle much for Xbox as Sony would have enough time to sell the consoles before those big IPs arrive.
  • Bethesda does not have huge multiplayer games that would generate a lot of revenue on Playstation.
  • Bethesda’s marketshare was also small.
  • And just 7.5b which is a lot, but not really mindblowing for big tech giants and other corporations.

Buying Bethesda is like buying Sega - cool for optics, nice mascot - but it does not change Microsoft’s position in Japan for example.

ABK is an enterily diffferent beast. The biggest game publisher (not a tech giant), the biggest gaming acquisition, 70b. The scale of it is enormous. And optics are impressive.

• Microsoft showed other companies how much money they are willing to spend in gaming. This did not go unnoticed.
  • Owning ABK - while it won’t make Microsoft a kingmaker - allows Microsoft to join the table of big gaming companies (and not just as a platform holder). Before ABK, Microsoft was on Nintendo level of influence via Xbox. With ABK - they are reaching Sony’s level.
  • ABK makes Xbox’s position as solid as hell on the west. No medium or large company will ignore Microsoft anymore. It also makes Sony’s negotiation position much tougher with the western publishers.
  • ABK allows them to enter mobile gaming as one of the top players at once. That’s huge and something that they haven’t achieved with Windows Phone. Candy Crush, Diablo Immortal, COD Mobile, Warzone Mobile…Those are huge huge mobile games. Mobile store with Game Pass perks + all those games and more will give Microsoft a solid ground.
  • ABK deal completely destroys the foundation that Sony has built with COD over the past years. Basically all the investment in COD goes down the drain.
  • Microsoft gets access to Battle Net marketplace and MAU. They get access to huge big PC IPs in Game Pass
  • They are entering cybersports with a solid ground immediately and get big influence in regions like Korea or China

And that’s without all those studios, marketing experience, CGI teams etc. And maybe I even forgot some other things.

15 Likes

That is the longest “yes” I have ever read. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Now seriously, I agree. Bethesda can make some big-sellers like Elder Scrolls or Starfield (I hope so), but the possibilities the ABK acquisition offers to Microsoft to grow as a gaming company in general are unmatched, as you mention. I mean, that price difference sure has to mean something :rofl:

imo

Bethesda was a acquisition to appease the core gamer

activision was an acquisition for the rest of the gaming audience which is far FAR bigger then the “core” gamer.

The person who cares about starfield and the guy who plays candy crush on his phone everyday for 15 minutes before their shift at work starts are not the same. the same applies for the guy or gal who only buy cod or sports games every year

6 Likes

Just a friendly reminder that one of the best games of this year just released from a close Microsoft partner…

ASOBO!!! WHAT ARE YOU GUYS ON???

9 Likes

Microsoft needs to put a ring on them asap.

plague’s tale innocence as it was, was already as good as some of the Sony exclusives it was trying to mimick and requim is so good

13 Likes

They’ve gotta be the most requested developer acquisition in this thread at this point.:joy:

4 Likes