Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

A lot of people discount Nintendo in that regard. I do wonder what would happen if Switch was much stronger. Also a lot of stuff that PS gets is partially PS4 legacy.

Still, Xbox need somehow to resolve that problem. Square Enix solves that problem brilliantly but

• SE is a mess
  • SE produces a lot of junk
  • FF is locked for years on Playstation

Sega partially resolves that via Persona, but Persona won’t become Xbox exclusive anyway. At least not this gen for sure. I do curious about the potential exclusives of the next generation. Xbox right now is OG Xbox on steroids essentially. Speedrunning OG Xbox gen straight into Xbox 360 era, while not forgetting to acquire studios.

I really hope this doesn’t happen and if anyone is to get them I want it to be MS.

Just imagine if Bethesda was to work with CDPR, with letting them use the Creation Engine or seeing what those teams could just think up working together under MS.

It also would solidify the place for RPGs is with Xbox.

So if a bidding war is to happen, then MS can’t let the company get away.

1 Like

After learning more about the fallout 76 history and how the bethesda team treated zenimax online group, I am not sure it will be a good idea to put them to work with other companies, atleast in my opinion

Anyone have any thoughts on striking distance studios? They are making the callisto protocol. Id think they would have potential

1 Like

would not surprise me whatsoever.

As Sony starts to look to PC, CDPR would probably be positioned in a similar fashion to bungie, where releasing on Xbox is probably not going to happen, but that’s one that would strengthen their Cross media strategy along with their PC strategy. They would be one of the few cases where, under Sony their games would continue to launch day and date on PC.

that being said though I hope Microsoft gets them, and it would be a damn shame, if they missed out on em because of activision’s acquisition.

Everything CDPR is doing with it’s games and IPs just slots into Sony’s overall gaming strategy, pair that with the fact that Sony probably sees a future where the amount of WRPGs doesn’t amount to what’s on the competition, and you have a situation where buying them kills several birds with one stone.

I don’t think they are independent

they’re owned by krafton so 100% a no

Theyll need to outbid Netflix on that one. Netflix is now a more valuable company than Sony by quite a stretch. Netflix has more synergy and more invested in CDPR than Sony today with both Cyberpunk and Witcher being two of the most successful shows on Netflix. I dont expect it to be easy for Sony to get CDPR.

1 Like

in my head there was always 3 people who were gonna get CDPR

Sony, Netflix or Microsoft. part of me isn’t entirely convinced Netflix would be super interested just because Sony can buy CDPR, and then all of those TV deals will continue. Sony themselves works with netflix so it’s not a stretch to say that partnership would continue unstrained.

now if Microsoft is involved then that changes the whole convo though, and part of me thinks assuming these things start to move after the activision deal is done, Microsoft will absolutely try to get them.

1 Like

I presume that the perfect game studio for Netflix to really dive into gaming full on would be one with IP they already have brand association with, one that in gaming is massively popular and also adds big benefit to their tv/movie streaming. I cant think of any companies that accomplish all of those other than CDPR. It just seems perfect for Netflix. Not sure how they’d pass up that opportunity.

4 Likes

Indeed, i don’t care one bloody bit about “damage to Sony”, I don’t even think of them. I just want SEGA goodness. They are not worthy of my thoughts otherwise. What for Sony is a “great console launch” to me is a Tuesday (Playing Blue Skies games)!

4 Likes

Embracer wants to be an all-rounder for real.

3 Likes

Bring my dude vectorman back to home

Maybe games workshop could be bought by Microsoft for the warhammer, 40k and age of signage IPs.

These are ips that can be taken to the next level especially 40k. Which is huge despite lack of media and big budget games.

4 Likes

And buy Fatshark while they’re at it! They want a live service type game with growth potential? See Darktide! :drooling_face:

1 Like

It would be more like Embracer’s acquisition there.

1 Like

I’d love a 2.5D or pixel art megadrive like version with all the graphics effects turned up to 11 :slight_smile: . And I have indeed forgotten that this studio was called “Blue Skies” :stuck_out_tongue: .

1 Like

At this point I don’t think MS is interested isn’t that interested in individual studios

Maybe they will pick up some of the studios they are working with now like IOI eventually but I’m not expecting them anytime soon

They seem to be more interested in publishers, plenty of studios with big IP and output vs a single studio that will take years for one game

I agree. Unlike Double Helix case, Microsoft designs contracts better now and thus there is no point in studio acquisition unless the studio (they are woking with) is being either actively shopped around or somebody is aggresively trying to buy it. Publishers are much more attractive. Several studios, several IPs, established pipelines with big roadmaps for multiple projects.

How many studios would Microsoft need to buy to achieve Blizzard’s output for example? Where they get established GaaS games, upcoming announced and not announced games.

Aren’t Blizzard are a bit odd in that they structure themselves a bit like Ubisoft?

They have around 4,700 employees but it’s actually around nine separate studios of around 500 people each. E.g. Blizzard Team 1, Blizzard Team 2 etc.