Xbox Acquisition |OT6| If this is about competition, let us have competition

:man_facepalming:

Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Battlefield, Diablo, Overwatch, Star Wars (EA, LEGO).

10 Likes

No we don’t. That’s just one contract regarding RE8 and probably Cpacom in general.

3 Likes

i mean fifa 2022 came to ps plus before gamepass and even ea play, GTA, RD, and all those activision titles. I’m pretty sure it’s safe to assume that they do have rights to first refusal.

I think in case of FIFA 2022, Sony negotiated it separately - they started to take their subscription service more seriously.

I hope too, espacialy if they have their own game in developpement, buying them before someone buy the exclusivity and/or the marketing deal on this game

3 Likes

This is not enough to say “we know”. Pretty sure GTA and RDR2 came to Game Pass first.

As for Activision, they did get games for PS+ Essential not the new tiers of PS+ and PSnow before afair so Activision seems not fond of putting their games on services like that.

4 Likes

That game is probably Project Suerte which they’re making for Xbox anyway, but I agree about CA. They could expand them further to be their support studio hub or something like that.

Unless it is something defensive, I doubt that Microsoft will acquire some studios.

Certain Affinity is a no brainer though, they would be cheap and already support both 343 and Activision, while also making a game with publishing. Secure the staff at a negligible cost.

6 Likes

Shhh… you’re messing with the narrative.

They did.

13 Likes

If Microsoft wanted they would have purchased them long time ago. We have a long time between Bethesda and ABK deal. I can see a defensive purchase though, where some other company is buying them so Microsoft decided to secure them. But otherwise? I am not sure.

But… but people on here don’t like Ubisoft, Activision and EA games :crazy_face:

8 Likes

With Microsoft intending to release ABK games on Switch, I think Panic Button might be a good acquisition.

I’m sure their porting expertise could be incredibly beneficial on other projects too for more than just Switch.

8 Likes

They’re not gonna be making native Switch ports for games that aren’t even gonna be made on XB1 lol, I think their “intention” is cloud.

But I’m not against a studio like that, I secretly wanted them to get Nixxes to handle PC & Series S port/optimization for some of the studios.

I agree. Or mobile port, but it depends on the specs of the next switch. Though I believe their play is indeed cloud apps everywhere

That the thing, they are FPS making, support studio, and now on their own game.

There is a competitor, who has annonced a partnership with a studio formed by COD former employe, They got Bungie, and they wan’t to go faster on those FPS, they will probably go on studio like this.

If they wait, that will only make the price go higher. (If we follow your though why did they buy Playground games? or Undead Lab? )

(and the studio have 3 customers, Xbox , Bethesda and Acti, so they are going to pay an extra cost for each time they need them, even if the studio only work for them in the end)

2 Likes

I think in era of 5 first party studios they had a different approach to acquisitions. And MSFT does not really care about the price if they are interested in something. By the same logic I can ask why would be a studio willing to be purchased if they are cheap but can increase their price in the future.

Sony isn’t microsoft’s copetitor, they are literally MS consumer and you are looking at the consoles purely when MS focus is on game pass…also MS competitors like amazon could afford EA or T2 easily lol

I could be wrong but I think MS will just put CoD mobile on switch and call it a day

I know Microsoft’s competitors are the tech giants but if you go into a store right now do you see people trying to decide whether to buy a Xbox, AmazonBox, GoogleBox and AppleBox? No.

If Amazon brought EA do you think they would only make their sports games exclusive to Luna? Even if they tried (which they wouldn’t) the license holders would just revoke the rights.

I appreciate Xbox are aiming at growing GamePass across all devices (to reach 3 billion) but like it or not currently Xbox’s market is also the same individuals which brought 160 million PS4/PS5’s and 107 million Nintendo Switch’s (aka the console market). Both of which have drastically outsold Xbox in recent years.

Until Xbox/PC GamePass and Cloud kick off, the console market is still their biggest market which still means PlayStation and Nintendo are their direct competitors (who they are also arguably fighting with for market share).

I don’t personally see Ubisoft happening, but I would welcome it. They have a lot of games that fall within my interests. Assassin’s Creed, Watch Dogs, Splinter Cell, and even Far cry to an extent. They also have some dormant IP that could be interesting if rebooted correctly. Most of these games would fill th 3rd Person action adventure gap Xbox has. Giving them more dev time and full freedom some of these games could be a once every 4 or 5 years franchise that has a much larger impact per release than the yearly to every two year releases. That should also free up those thousands of devs for other IP or to support other Xbox studios.

EA I just don’t ever see happening and I don’t see a need. If they could by Respawn and Titanfall off of them then yeah, but mostly annual sports games that are already coming to Gamepass. To me the sports games aren’t fun, but I know others enjoy them. Still those games should all be multiplat and as long as Xbox keeps the GP deal going Xbox is covered.

Activision is only exciting to me for Cod in GP, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawk, and maybe bringing back some older IP like Pitfall and Vigilante 8. They just need to free up the COD machine and open up studios for other games and we should start seeing a lot of output from ABK. The Mobile segment alone should bring a large income boost.

9 Likes