Women of Xbox UK Podcast |OT| - Series 2 coming soon

This is one interview that I was waiting for. Chief of Staff and MSR alumna. She probably carries out Phil’s vision+todo’s with the Xbox leadership team.

Also, going from research to chief of staff is an atypical career move.

2 Likes

I love how Australians say “Daah-Taa” (for data). Wonder if Shpeshal_ed says “daahtaa” too.

1 Like

tumblr_px62laB3oD1xfddi7o2_400

Also @Shpeshal_Nick writes it “data” but pronounces it “cunt” :stuck_out_tongue: :heart:

Still not had chance to watch this, hopefully this morning is quiet enough I can listen while fiddling with a database.

:rofl: :rofl:

Is he reading this?

Fabulous episode! Haiyan is amazing.

Couple of takeaways;

Its great to hear that Phil Spencer appreciates a lot of different backgrounds in his leadership team, Haiyan being from Innovation and research, for example. I have worked places where (like so many other places) the leadership roles are soon filled with those deemed to be “successful” which is so often sales and marketing, and you lose that voice from Engineers, developers etc. and so lose sight of what is important, the products.

Most importantly though, Haiyan has had a enviable career, and such highs. I recall distinctly watching “The big life fix” on the BBC way back when, and being moved moved to tears by Emma’s watch. I had no idea that Haiyan was “that” Haiyan from the show. Her work with collaborative coding for children especially for those sight impaired is amazing.

:heart: A fabulous role model. I really loved this episode!

Emma’s Watch.

5 Likes

Cool interview. Loved it. The Parkinson research story was inspirational.

She did not talk much about cracking the whip, though.

1 Like

Episode 5 is here, with none other than World’s Edge Studio Head Shannon Loftis joining the WomenOfXboxUK podcast to talk Age of Empires, the industry and … Albion? It’ll all make sense soon! Come join Charleyy for the chats and the chortles!

6 Likes

These types of shows highlights one of the problems with Xbox and YouTube. These all should be on the main Xbox channel and not the Microsoft UK channel. This was posted 5 hours ago and barely has more than 150 views. These videos deserve more exposure.

6 Likes

Yeah, for the effort and quality of these videos, it’s a shame they’re not on the main channel

2 Likes

I believe that might be intentionally so.

My thoughts - This is not supposed to touch more than 10k views. Anything over, and it would require executive communication team to crack the whip. ExecComm typically micro manages leaderahip level comms.

Yeah its been the same for all of them, its terrible. What’s worse is the asinine comments on twitter on even the XboxUK account, I can only imagine how awful it would be on the main channel. Though that is from my possibly blinkered view and that is simply how bad twitter is.

Regardless, the quality of the podcasts and breadth of experiences and the history of the guests is just wonderful. This is what people should be celebrating in gaming, not screaming about E3 leaks and “exclusives” this is such a wonderful window into the process of gaming which is not often discussed.

3 Likes

This is such a fun interview.

It is also a good reminder for me to muster enough courage and complete the Water Tree section of Ori and the Blind Forest.

2 Likes

Loved it! Funny how Shannon ended up producing so many great racing games. What a career.

3 Likes

Ooh, a Chip’s Challenge mention (in passing)! One of my old favorites. Found it on steam recently and it seems completely different to me, didn’t care for that version.

2 Likes

XGSP (or MGSP) head too at one point of time. Is Sarah Bond leading that, I wonder?

Jorg Neumann is head of production at XGSP, so I guess he has that role now… kinda? Maybe they reshuffled some stuff.

It was very interesting to listen to her say that this is one of the more coveted spots at Xbox, and there is decent competition for the spot.

Oh I forgot but Charleyy said 343i’s Kiki Wolfkill will be on a future episode too which I don’t recall seeing at the start of the podcasts Season.

Looking forward to that episode and Katy Jo Wright’s especially as Director of “Gaming for everyone”

4 Likes

I listen to this podcast while driving back and forth to work. I find it really interesting.

New Episode is up! With Katy Jo Wright

Episode 6 is upon us! Come join Charleyy for this week’s podcast as she sits down with Gaming For Everyone director Katy Jo Wright to talk inclusivity, accessibility and the many reasons why Kate Diaz from GEARS 5 is just so darn awesome!

4 Likes