Will Bethesda Games be Xbox Console Exclusive?

I dunno, for me it’s about as much of a definitive statement as we can get on the day they finally completed the acquisition and started talking.

And that is: Bethesda was bought to make exclusives and that is their future but they are now working together to see for the currently ongoing projects which ones will be like.

For example, just now Ms has access to their deals with Sony for Ghostwire and Deathloop so they can assess whether to honor the contracts or pay for breaking the exclusivity.

Likewise only now Ms will have access to any ongoing negotiations regarding Starfield that might make the game multiplatform and that they will also analyze how to handle it, etc

yeah give PlayStation 3 exclusive games and also make our players wait for the games while the competition players get the same content and more yeah good luck to their social teams that i got to say if this happened

2 Likes

Microsoft really didnt say anything today that we didnt already know. Truly got the worst communication skills of all the platform holders.

2 Likes

Hey there’s me!

lmao the show must go on

Can Jeff Grubb talk some sense into you all? Multiplayer and service… like MMOs and Fallout 76

1 Like

As am I. I would rather all single-player titles exclusive with MMO’s multiplat.

Can’t even bring myself to read resetera right now

Sadly, Microsoft shows no confidence and no commitment. People can only be left “hanging” in there for so long, if they lose yet another gen with everything in their hands, that’s justified.

6 Likes

Xbox perfectly handled the announcement, I’m really glad. I shared Jeff Grubb opinion

Jeff Grubb sur Twitter : “I think that Phil threaded the needle here pretty well. The debate won’t go away completely, but this clearly indicates where they’re leaning while leaving the door open for multiplayer or service games that might do better with a larger playerbase.” / Twitter

Xbox is definitely going to make the most important title exclusive (Starfield, TES6) and still put Zenimax Online game multiplatform.

3 Likes

Great post. That announcement was awful.

They didn’t really say that lol that’s why this announcement means nothing from what we already knew

Yep I am glad I was wrong past couple days I thought yh it’s not exclusive. Happy to be wrong

I don’t understand why they can’t be clear. If it is because they don’t want to upset PS-fans… why do they feel it’s ok to screw with their own fanbase? Or do they not realise the sentiment among Xbox fans? Why is everything about PS? SMH

5 Likes

This reads to me exactly what I predicted previously.

In the short term Bethesda will follow through with the plans they had in place as the two companies transition into working together. MS could not influence anything at Zenimax until the deal was complete. They can only now start working together on future plans.

The most immediate and sensible conclusion is business as usual until the companies unify their goals. MS will stake a claim on upcoming titles that the amplify the Xbox brand/Game Pass. MMOs and service games will stay broad. And over time they will assimilate and become a first party factory.

I agree with you. But I could see that every game which release this year like Wolfenstein 3 will remain multiplat which are already in the final stage of the production. I’m fine with it because I can play all games Day1 on Gamepass. :phil_lmao:

Look, I ranted on here as much as anyone in advance of some Microsoft wording. And this doesn’t deserve full fledge revolt or attack at this point. Of course we all like very neat and tidy words on everything, but the reality is that this is a massive acquisition by Xbox that has broad gaming plans. The couple of things for me that I am happy with for now are that they specifically tied this to building an industry leading first party studios lineup and mentioned that there will be exclusives. There are a multitude of business reasons that are valid not to say anything more broad on exclusivity beyond that yet including unannounced games that have prior contract agreements (e.g. the rumored Skyrim 10th anniversary remaster for next gen), consideration of some insane multiplayer game that they think could be the next Fortnite and want to be fully multiplatform, and even possible leverage now and in the future with Sony or Nintendo on getting things in return which could even include Game Pass streaming app or at least laying down arms on gating content from the Xbox platform.

Just enjoy the celebration that they are part of Xbox and we have new awesome games coming to Game Pass even this month as they said, and we are definitely getting the best place to play the games and future exclusive gaming experiences from all of those studios to boot.

4 Likes

The problem is confidence, people won’t change their thoughts and go to Xbox for “some” games. What games? If people find it possible to wait until the last second to know if TES and Fallout are going to be exclusive or not, they’re going to.

2 Likes

But thats all on you and everyone else here. You all posted yourselfes into some alternative frenzy and reality where Phil Spencer had to announce some definitive statement about all future games or its the worst PR ever. This was never going to happen. I told you (and Phil said it from the start) it will be “case by case basis”.

I initially had this thought too but a few people made the good point that this is a very large business and they are not going to be black and white. If you read between the lines it’s pretty clear the only games that will continue as multiplatform are service games, contractual obligations, and maybe Indiana Jones.