Will Bethesda Games be Xbox Console Exclusive?

FF14 is coming to xbox just not publicly revealed when. Im convinced this is an E3 announcement along with “killing gold for f2p” requirement but that had to be brought up earlier cause of the price increase debacle.

I went for option 2, since though I assume the vast majority will either be exclusive or with a significant “timed exclusivity”. I do believe it will be decided case by case, MMO’s for example.

I mean obviously one would not spend so much on an acquisition to share with the “other children”, but I could believe that MS would make choices where, regardless of being multiplatform, the MS way is the best way to play, full mod support, timed exclusivity, extra content for gamepass, or even some battlepass style progression being MS exclusive. After all MS spent what they did to “control” those IP, there are many ways to do that than just a blanket exclusivity.

TL;DR version, though I believe the majority of titles will become exclusive I think MS could well leverage other ways to make the MS way the best way to play to such an extent they may as well be exclusive.

1 Like

FF7R though, I don’t have any hope for a version this year. If at all.

Gamepass will be successful when lots of gamers subscribe to it. If MS just want to earn from Gamepass they would want to have Gamepass on every platform possible.

But definitely, earings from a platform are much greater so its highly likely to have exclusives.

Going back to my original post of this conversation - i clearly said it as a ‘gamer’. It really doesn’t matter if Xbox exsits or not. What matters is that Gamepass will exists and thats all i care about.

As for MS and Xbox, exclusives are essential because that’s what bring gamers to platform. And as I said, platform earings are greater then Gamepass earings.

I think it will be coming. But in the future and straight to GamePass. Square Enix loves money.

I already said but Xbox was one step away from being segaed this year. Literally one year. Imagine MS not purchasing Bethesda and Sony getting Starfield excusivity…Add to that Final Fantasy exclusivity and other stuff. Another Xbox One would be a death sentence for Xbox in general.

1 Like

I am pretty sure that when people say that they always imply that only Playstation should exist as is. Only Xbox should disappear…But well, Playstation has been a “default” platform for a whole generation. And for some regions Xbox does not even exist.

I even sometimes see hilarious takes like “Monopolies are bad, but everything should come to Playstation”

3 Likes

If you want me to say ‘it doesn’t matter if playstation exsits or not’ - i will say it for you.

All i want is game asscesbility. All i want is subscription services.

Edit: not just for you. To me personally it does not matter if playstation exsits or not. similarly for any platform based on exclusivity. I don’t care for it.

Not sure about being Segaed, because they still have the other studios making promising projects.

But yes, had Sony succeeded with Starfield, lordy lord.

But so what? Xbox issues - the whole generation and even probably previous one - is lack of legendary franchises, heavy hitters. Sony has always been stronger with that, because its roots are in PS2/PS1 titles that are considered legendary. Also studios making GOTY games one after another create more hype from even new IPs from that studios.

Xbox has only one basically - or two ok - Halo and Gears. These two - Gears was lower though - was akin TES at one point of time. Now, they are not much better than Wolfenstein or Doom in their importance and influence. I think it is due to - not because games were not good - but because Xbox One was not that popular.

I mean look at for example at Naughty Dogs - if they come up with new game, people will expect GOTY nomination no doubt. The hype will be on the same level too. Xbox lack that.

I like RPGs. I really like. But Avowed does not generate the same amount of hype as TES. Starfield generates much more hype because - like in case of ND - the studio behind it - despite producing games designed to be finished by the community - is legendary in a sense too.

When Xbox gets its own GOTY, it will be different. Any game from GOTY studio, will get default level of hype from the very beginning.

2 Likes

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly. And now with Bethesda they have amazing franchises. But let’s say this acquisition had not happened, we still would have had RPGs like Fable, Avowed, inXile’s game, Hellblade 2, Perfect Dark and so on. So without that acquisition they already had a more promising and exciting Gen compared to Xbox One.

But I definitely agree with you that Sony clearly has had the more memorable franchises. When ND announces a new game people pay attention immediately. Will Xbox studios ever get to that level? Time will tell. For now I’m extremely happy that Zbox’s future is looking so promising. Many games i can’t wait to see being unveiled.

Man this was my biggest fear all of last year.

3 Likes

Same here!

It was back on RE, when that one insider said Sony was targeting studios that Xbox used to brag about having in their show. Only BGS came to mind, yeah man, thank God!

1 Like

My final take on this.

.MS doesn’t need Playstation money else it would already have tons of XGS games on it

.MS does NOT need to be the “good guys”, this is a business not charity, and Playstation is already the market leader what more does it need?

.MS already supports Xcloud and PC much more than every other platform holder out there, so there’s much room for people to join.

.Halo is a BIG franchise, you don’t see it on other platforms for being big, Elder Scrolls and Fallout are going to be exclusive, at the time they come out, people should be well aware and prepared to receive it on the Xbox ecosystem.

.Xbox has a ton of technology to benefit those games, that’ll only happen if those games are exclusive.

.Again, money is not a problem and Sony doesn’t need help.

5 Likes

I would love to see the minutes of the meeting were they decide to publish Bethesda games on competing platforms while they have clearly stated that their business goal is to grow game pass (which is not available on competing platforms).

Let’s just hope that meeting is not comprised of the same people who made the descison on doubling Gold…

8 Likes

Indeed.

Halos an FPS and exclusive - So thats Doom, Wolfenstein and Prey covered. Xbox can have exclusive FPS.

Fable and Avowed are RPGS and exclusive - So that covers Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield. Xbox can have exclusive RPGS.

State of Decay and Sea of Thieves are MMOs and exclusive - So that covers Elder Scrolls online and Fallout 76. Xbox can have exclusive MMOs.

Anything else? Not really.

They’ll be exclusive.

Microsoft will be kind and allow DLC for Fallout 76, TES Online and Doom Eternal. But thats where it ends.

This is my belief:

• Stand Alone Sequels and New IP are Exclusive 100%

• MMOs may or may not be. I suspect they start with Xbox ecosystem and maybe expand outwards if needed.

• Indiana Jones depends on the renegotiation of the contract. I suspect MS will try.

• Wolfenstein 3 may be a timed exclusive as it ends the series, but I suspect if so it comes to PS4, not PS5.

• Switch ports are possible but I suspect the push will be XCloud first and foremost.

7 Likes

The only reassuring thing is that despite having Xbox One bad years, stakeholders did not force games to be ported to Playstation even then. So there is a possibilty these games will stay exclusive.

1 Like

Yeah, like with Spider-man. It all depends on market share and profit really. With XCloud/PC/console it might be easier to get exclusive game.

1 Like

Sony has no problem holding onto exclusivity of arguably the biggest IP in the world Spider-Man. Microsoft keeping exclusivity for games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout isn’t any different.

4 Likes