Why should I invest in Xbox this Generation?

Series X/S + Game Pass will be a very tempting package for most avid gamers out there. Couple that with the xCloud initiative you can play on the go literally anywhere you have a solid mobile connection.

For me personally, I think the fact you have access to so many games at any given moment, it’s been a game changer especially as more bigger releases hit the service.

Also worth mentioning XGS may be at the top of the game when it comes to WRPGs.

As a Nintendo gamer, this is a hard answer. You are used to Nintendo, and the fact that they have a take it or leave it attitude. You have to buy the games, and usually you will pay full price for them. I know, because I am a Nintendo fan myself. The reason to invest in MS is if you like their games, or you want a way to “rent” lots of content through a service like GP. Me, I like RPG’s, so it makes sense to me with Fable, Obsidian, etc … GP is great “value”, but I find the lack of AAA content outside of XGS studios means that I am more of a “sporadic” consumer of the service. I personally do not think $15/mo is worth it, so I simply wait for a buildup of good content, then buy a few months with a discounted card. Also, the BC is one of Xbox’s strongest points in their favor …

Many here would disagree with me, and your mileage will vary. It is a VERY different experience than what Nintendo offers. Is it worth it to you, OP? Only you can answer that

1 Like

I don’t particularly like having to play PR and convince folks why they should buy a product . So all I can say is why personally I am motivated to invest into Xbox , particularly as someone who primarily plays on switch and only has fleeting interest in AAA games etc.

Primarily it comes down to Gamepass has been a very phenomenal supplement to my main gaming interests, there are games like RDR 2, dragon quest , heck destiny with the expansions, etc that I had no interest in playing day one and knew I could wait on and now they are available for me to play on gamepass either now or in the future instead of buying them individually. I can check out the new halo when it comes out and forza horizon. In general gamepass has been a way to play or just sample a ton of games I wouldn’t otherwise care to from major games to some indies.

Secondly with stuff like Xcloud and the rumored (and basically confirmed ) lockhart, Xbox is the ecosystem that feels like it’s giving me options on how I want to play and for how much I am willing to spend versus telling me “this is how you’re to play it and for this much , take it or leave it “.

1 Like

I mean 95% of all games will look better on xbox. Do you like microsoft exclusives or sony exclusives more? Play where you want. Im on the fence too but that is a fact. Games will look sound and feel better on xbox. maybe free multiplayer, xcloud etc. The big thing is the 1st party. I trust obsidian. I love all thier games. The rest of the companies IDK. Will fable be a serious game or some kid friendly garbage, How will inexiles next rpg be. Who knows what compulsion is doing? Rare will do rare stuff same with doublefine. State of decay 3 is comming and the inititve is makeing a new IP. 343 had the halo fiasco but I believe its gonna be awesome same with gears 6. Overall I think xbox game studios have a lot to prove as opposed to sonys who have put out such good games that people will forgive them for the ones that arnt good. I just beat uncharted lost legacy. I loved it and I wish xbox had something to compete with that. They just don’t. Maybe they will so we will have to wait and see. I know this seems weird but as someone who is on the fence there are 2 things im waiting for. One is Digital foundry videos. If the difference is big for xbox ill get one then as I love better graphics and don’t game on pc. The other is the achievement system. This is a me thing but I love how sony has trohys separated between the main game and dlc and platinum trophies. If xbox doesn’t do this that honestly will heavily tip me to sony, but again thats me.If xbox fixed the achievment system I am all team xbox at that point. I do have 400 games for it, Im in no rush to geta new system. I can wait and see how it turns out,

1 Like

Massive power at an accessible price, backwards compatibility spanning generations, and that amazing service that is Game Pass. Stellar value proposition all in all.

2 Likes

Just fair warning - both consoles are more than likely gonna be rushed. Probably more cross gen and a trickle of backward compatibilitry this year? Maybe… You can always make up your mind next year. You can sit back and watch it all unfold and watch youtube videos of the games and read comments from people on their impressions.

1 Like

Need more info, like

Budget

What games you like/dont like

Do you want to buy games individually or use a subscription?

1 Like

If you aren’t invested in the Xbox Ecosystem buy a PC or Playstation.

I am invested in the Xbox ecosystem so will continue to buy Xbox consoles like a muppet. Also Halo.

You can chill with your hyperbolic doom and gloom outlook. It’s tiring.

3 Likes

Make up your own mind, you’re an adult.

1 Like

Ok thanks for the feedback to start off with. I appreciate your help with this. I should I clarify that I’ve predominantly gamed on Nintendo and Sony so I know what I’m getting from those two but Xbox has never tickled my interest much until recently. Thier accuisition of solid studios with promising games announced is quite appealing but they haven’t proven themselves under Xbox as Sonys studios have for them. I really hope they nail the rpgs as that’s my preferred genre. And then there is game pass which introduces me to all of Xboxs own games and a heap of other 3rd party and indies. Its an amazing offer to sample a ton of games. I’ve only played a little halo back on the og xbox so all the other 1st party will be a new experience. It’s kinda of refreshing to know there is a whole other side of gaming I haven’t touched yet so playing on the series x should give me the best first impression one can get.

So I’ve basically decided I’m getting one already. A couple of seconds In load time is moot compared to the leap forward in storage over all on both consoles. I like buying physical games always have and always will until the day we can trade digital games and gift them to friends there is no point changing.

I think I’ve gone on for long enough so yeah that’s where I’m at. Cheers L. D.

As a gamer you should invest in every companies offerings. They all have something to offer!

What gets my imagination running personally is machine learning in XSX. Flight Sim is just the beginning. Similarly impressive applications are likely to pop up and despite the genuine and legit hype for SSD’s changing game design, those mainly just alter how they are made the fidelity on offer. ML has the potential to radically change gameplay experiences in a way unique to XSX.

PS5 has no ML capabilities. No real cloud ambitions. A soggy effort at game streaming…

XSX will also dominate the multiplatform comparisons too imho. That may or may not matter to you. For me personally, that is important. Especially if we see ray tracing only on Xbox like might(??) be happening with Watch Dogs Legion.

On the bigger picture front, my personal view is everything is moving to the cloud in the near future and Xbox is uniquely positioned to dominate that transition imho. Investing in the ecosystem today means you and your investment are covered past that transition as that all comes with you. In 5 yrs time, XSX games will be streaming high fidelity content from the cloud to your TV/PC/mobile/Xbox and MS will be the only company in existence positioned to make a generational leap to next-next-gen server side without anyone needing to buy new boxes.

Think about that possibility. MS rolls into E3 2026 and announces the device you use already (PC/XSX/XSS/mobile/TV) to stream AAA, 4k/60 games from the cloud will overnight be transformed into a box that plays games built for 10 times the horsepower. They can do that without customers paying another dime if they wanted to. They just upgrade the server hardware and flip the switch when it’s in place and ready to go. Just as how Netflix transitioned from lower res to 4k content. Nobody had to buy a more expensive device for that to happen.

And I’d bet by the end of this coming cycle all Xbox games will be on Game Pass, and all previous Xbox games will be there too (spanning several gens in their entirety). ML can bring upscaling on textures, HDR, framerate interpolation, frame resolution bumps to 4k…on all BC titles.

Sure, it is still a dream at this point but MS is taking all the right steps to make it a priority and a reality. Their competition is stuck in a crusty old paradigm of relying on bespoke hardware sales. I think this cycle the industry moves beyond that and Sony will be left behind. PS5 might outsell XSX (though that is not the given that everyone imagines it is) but Xbox as a platform will eclipse PlayStation as a platform in 5 yrs’ time.

Or maybe not. :stuck_out_tongue:

Honestly if your vested in PC, Ampere may be the correct answer. If not, GP and BC are the main reasons to own an Xbox. It all depends on the games you like.

Me, I love RPG’s, so I will follow Oblivion and Fable while waiting patiently for Square Enix to bring the Series X versions out down the road of what appears to be ALL of their new games. I’m just glad they are only timed exclusives.

And I am seriously considering the Ampere cards instead, but I would miss out on BC

Yeah nah not happening mate. This is a hobby not an obsession I don’t need all.

Cyberpunk and assassin’s are day one buys that’ll help fill the first party gap till halo gets fixed

I don’t game on pc, though ampere is a bit of a beast I can’t justify the cost of the card alone vs a console.

Spuare soft were my favourite dev/pub for years before they joined with Enix. Mana on snes was my first rpg ever, followed by terranigma, illusions of gaia, evermore and Lufia 2. Needless to say I’m watching the rpg announcements eagerly. L. D.

1 Like

My biggest frustration this gen. Even if suited to the switch, I’d love to have some of the remakes (Chrono Trigger) and JRPGs in my library. Great for sick days when twitch shooters or action games require more acute situational attentiveness than I can provide.

Same. But not as concerned about BC having the Series X and GP Ultimate. I now need to build a new PC regardless.

Is Hellblade 2 the only single-player hack & slash XGS has coming? Sony has several heavy hitters in that genre(Nioh, Ghosts, God of War). I hope they have a 2nd one.

I think the single biggest miscalculation Microsoft made back in 2013 was thinking the gaming market was moving to majority multiplayer-focused. Evidence by what happened in the 8th generation, it’s clear that 70% of the overall gaming market prefers single-player experiences. That explains why Phil Spencer was buying studios to create single player games for the most part, realizing this is a huge hole in the XGS lineup. Will the market ever move to majority market share for multiplayer? I don’t think any time soon.

When I look at the insane numbers of games like, fortnite, pubg, fall guys and what not. I think it already has. The top singleplayer games are great but I think most play multiplayer.

There are 110+million ps4`s out there. If singleplayer was the dominant form the last of us 2 and god of war should be at least at 60million sold. And they are not. Of course price is also a factor.

1 Like

Truthfully I don’t think there’s a lot of arguments to get a Series X right away if you’re not already sold on it. From what I’m seeing so far, XGS will hit their stride somewhere around 2022-23 with all the games we’ve been seeing (Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, Forza, etc.). Obviously it’s just speculation at this point.

If power is important to you and you have a 4k tv/monitor, I would skip the Series S. Series X will be a freakin beast for years.