Where do you plan to pre order the Xbox Series X|S, PS5 from?

The credit will be gone by March/April when I buy PS5. Even if they go “bankrupt”, I would still have time to use the credit which is easy. I can just buy Xbox Currency Cards for the Xbox Store. They do have over 5000 stores. They have to cut down to half that for me to get concerned or one of the two stores in my area would have to close but they make money so im not concerned.

Majority of the stores closing should be closed because 1) they don’t make any money for various reasons and 2) they have too many stores close to one another which is counter-productive to the other store.

I’m personally expecting GameStop to last another decade or so. Once disc is dead, that’s when they will die out.

As for digital, what GameStop should try to do is work out a deal with Microsoft to where you could trade in your digital license for 1/3rd of the price and GameStop could sell it for 1/2 the price. So you buy a $60 digital game, sell it for $20 to GameStop and then they sell it for $30. Consumers save money. Store makes money and those who are selling the digital license get something back.

From MS store directly with MS points and gift cards.

No worries, I just saw you were adding to the trade in credit balance so I was like woah I wouldn’t hold on to that too long.

GS has had a long time to change to react to the market. They should have foreseen the streaming/digital wave coming but they haven’t done anything. They could have at least tried to cater to those who still like (new) physical disks, collectors editions, etc… but they haven’t. They are still actively discouraging people from just coming to their stores to buy new so they can push preorders and used games. Well that just pushes them to digital instead. Even ordering from their website is bad.

I’m going to add to the trade in credit so I can use it for the PS5 and avoid paying sales tax. Will all be gone when I have enough to buy PS5 in early 2021.

I agree in general but I have no problem with them pushing pre-orders (every publisher does that so why shouldn’t GameStop?) or used games because that’s where the majority of their profits come from.

I have never ordered physical items from GameStop online. I have bought PlayStation/Xbox currency cards to use in the PlayStation/Xbox Store but that’s it.

Probably the MS Store for me as well. Have gotten everything day one from them. That plus MS credit from Bing rewards etc…

When I say pushing preorders, GS limits new stock on a lot of games to preorders only. So if you are just someone who wants to walk in and buy a game on release day they say “Sorry we are sold out, did you pre-order?” I’m talking about stuff like Final Fantasy here not obscure games. People end up just going to Walmart or Best Buy who have no trouble having enough copies. GS still wants to create this artificial scarcity to make people think they have to pre-order to get a game. Well now anyone can just buy a digital copy and avoid the hassle.

With used games their business model de-values the idea of new games to push more used games. Like “Hey why buy that new when you can buy it used and save $5? It’s just a disk” or “Oh look our only “new” copy left is the one we opened and maybe played with a bit, why not just buy the used copy since there is no difference?” In the end why wouldn’t you go buy digital if GS tells you it’s pointless to buy a new?

As for online they will send you opened “new” copies of games (GS resealed w/ a sticker) when you order a new game. There are zero other retailers that I know of that would even try that crap. Again complete disrespect to those who want to order new.

So in the end GS to this day is actively working against themselves and pushing people to digital more and more. I won’t even get into the high pressure sales tactics and the gross treatment of their employees.

Edit: Oops went too far off on a tangent there… GS is fine for those that don’t mind them. Some stores are better than others, but their corporate is going to kill them.

@Aetain and I will be pre ordering our consoles at JB Hi Fi. We have a local store that is 5 minutes away. I’ll be waiting at midnight for pick up and will bring them home.

I knew I married you for a reason.

1 Like

In the past have places like GameStop had trade in deals for console launches/preorders? If they do something like that this time around I’ll probably go with them to get something for my one X without having to Craigslist in a pandemic haha.

I don’t know or haven’t seen any trade in deals for the US stores but the Aussie stores like EB Games have already listed trade in deals. Check your locals and they could have details already going up

I’ll be buying mine direct from Microsoft. I don’t KNOW if it makes repairs and warranty issues easier, but I have to say that with my other Xbox’s and controller warranty issues, it’s been super easy and trouble free as a result. Outside of Australia, your experience may vary.

I didn’t know that GameStop does that in regards to pre-orders and release day. I normally pre-order simply because I know im buying it anyway day one so paying it off ahead of time, walking in and just getting the game and quick and easy. I don’t even remember the last time I actually went into GameStop (or Best Buy for that matter) to buy a game on it’s release day that I didn’t actually pre-order.

Used games is where GameStop makes their money so I don’t fault them for pushing that aspect of their business. You can compare it to Sony and Microsoft pushing their All Digital consoles. It’s pretty much the same thing. They all want to make as much money as possible.

The online stuff is bad and should just be returned for a refund. I have never ordered any physical item from them online because at that point, I would just to the store itself. They’re working against themselves to an extent. For someone like me who prefers physical and isn’t a collector, GameStop is the best option because I can go there to pre-order what I want and just pick it up on release day.

I did buy my games for several years at Best Buy because of Gamers Club Unlocked, would trade games back to them and use the credit towards my next game which is basically what I do now at GameStop but Best Buy ended GCU and trade ins so no reason for me to buy games there anymore.

For me, I like GameStop and simply have no issues with them. For however long they stay open, I will shop there. Regardless of how anyone feels about GameStop, no one should want them to go bankrupt or close and instead, should want them to thrive and succeed because when the day comes that physical discs are no more and it’s digital only, everyone can kiss their sales and discounts goodbye because without the physical disc element giving digital competition, there’s simply no reason for any publisher to give anyone a sale or discount.

I know a lot of people believe that digital would decrease prices but I believe that it would increase prices and you would never get a discount or sale because there’s no reason for any publisher to do so because it’s simple - you either buy the game at full price day one, pre-order or two years later (doesn’t matter when) or you simply don’t and thus, don’t play the game. 95% of gamers will still buy the game.

GameStop like every store and company have their negatives but for me, since the days of Nintendo 64, I have never had a single issue and a lot of times, I would get extra bonuses by trading in games and putting it towards a pre-order plus majority of issues people do have with them just doesn’t apply to me. I don’t order from them online, I don’t buy used games and I always pre-order.

When I trade in the PS4 Pro in late October, I will pre-order a few Xbox Series X launch games on disc and pick them up when I pick up the console.

I understand and believe everything you said as I know there’s plenty of people who dislike GameStop for various reasons but im just not one of those people.

1 Like

MS store, since I’ll be using MS Rewards points.

That’d be my plan as well.

But how to do that? Can I put the points in directly, or get a gift card for them? And is it possible to use multiple gift cards on a single purchase?

I managed to put aside a decent amount of MS Rewards funny money, so I’ll be able to cut down almost 25% of the price of the Series X on Microsoft Store, which is dope. I’ll probably buy a secondary device, a Series S next year, putting in one or two of my 3 Xbox Ones and a few games at GameStop to practically get a free upgrade. Undecided about the PS5 for now.

1 Like

You’d have to buy an MS gift card first, which is very simple to do.

This is the way!

I wanted to order directly from the MS store in London. However, seeing as it’s closed and unsure when it’ll open again, I’ll have to rethink. I may just order through Amazon but I would’ve preferred to snag one at midnight.

And can I use several of them on a single purchase?

I have a bit more than 300000 points… :crazy_face:

1 Like

This seemed like the right thread for it. I have no idea how many Dutch people we have on here but…

I went to Nedgame, Gamemania and Mediamarkt. Nedgame couldn’t guarantee that i would have a XSX on launch day since their preorders had been full for a while now, odd. Gamemania had plenty possibilities for preordering and Mediamarkt said they don’t allow them yet. Which is odd, because the Mediamarkt my bro works at does allow them.

If i were to trade in my One X now i get 150 bucks for it at Nedgame and Gamemania and if there’s gonna be a trade in program it is going to be the same, i’d say that ain’t worth it at all. I will be going with Mediamarkt because i only have good experiences with them. A nice extra is that around the time of November i’ll have a gift card worth 85 euros that i can put to the XSX purchase.

My intention wasn’t to criticize your choice of store, sorry if it came across that way since I just kinda went off into a GS rant there. I like buying physical games too so it isn’t like I want people to stop buying at Gamestop, I just don’t trust they know what they are doing.