What was your honest opinion of the Xbox games showcase?

I considering majority conferences 7-8/10 so most are average or below to me :man_shrugging:t6:

The announcement that every game showed would be on Game Pass made the show for me. That was hype.

1 Like

8/10 is not average.

I gave it 7/10

The line up was excellent

Hellblade 2 Everwild Fable Avowed Forza State of decay 3 Halo And more

But there was to much cgi and not enough gameplay.

They needed a showcase for seriesX, they should of even taken a page out of sonys book and shown some gameplay that is to visually ambitious for the final retail game. Even if it was a game that was a few years from launch, a vertical slice of some hellblade 2 and a track of Forza that looks better then any video game ever would do so much from a marketing and buzz perspective and even if there were some slight downgrades, if someone is going to call it out then they also need to call out other downgrades to remain consistent.

I dunno if they are that early. They have a bunch of releases this year and could easily have pushed some to launch with SX.

They not doing that tells me they must have planned a lot of those games as a 2021 release.

With covid I think it’s possible that they decided to not create a demo right now so it won’t cause a delay rather than being a sign that everything is super early.

Honest opinion? I think Halo should have done better for its first real showing. Gameplay does look solid but MS really wiffed on what they showed versus what the trailers supposedly showed.

Apart from that, I think MS had a solid and varied showing of some great games and also showed off a small teaser of the future with MS studios. I am sure they could have showed off more but they are certainly holding back on other things but there was nothing gameplay wise that really wowed me, just the wow potential of games that are probably 2+ years out.

1 Like

Add a 7/10 option please.

I enjoyed it. It was pretty much how I thought it would be. Plus we got the Fable announcement and that was all I needed. The Medium looks great and Halo Infinite actually got me excited to play Halo again. I gave it an 8/10 which is far from being average, that would be 5/10 or 6/10. Let’s not use the Metacritic scores for reference of what an 8/10 is please. Thx :stuck_out_tongue:

I liked it. However, I, as many others, expected more gameplay. Games looked promising, but I think we will have to be patient.

Exactly my thoughts. I liked all the announcements and I really liked the Halo gameplay demo.

If they had shown gameplay of Forza and an inengine trailer of Fable it would have been 10/10 for me.

I was looking for it to be a next gen showcase event, which it wasn’t. I’m happy that my hypothesis wrt their ‘cross gen’ strategy was confirmed tho. I am thrilled they announced new stuff, but at the same time CG is boring me. Proper next gen reveals should include game engine demonstration, some behind the scenes looks, feature demonstrations and actual gameplay. I understand why this wasn’t shown, but it was still needed to be a good show for me.

To this day we have not seen a single first party game running on XSX afaik. The only next gen gameplay shown at all (I think?) was Halo and the tech graphics behind it are wildly disjointed from how they had been described by 343 in the past.

LOVED that everything shown is day 1 Game Pass though. Just wanted to get enough of an idea of what games can look like for my imagination to run wild. Claims had been made that I wanted to see backed up. 2 game-focused showcases in a row failed to deliver that.

I enjoyed it mainly because everything was coming to Game Pass! The State of Decay 3 trailer had me screaming I was so excited and wasn’t expecting it! I love the variety of games coming down the pipeline!

1 Like

As an Xbox news sleuth there weren’t a lot of surprises, but I’m more than okay with that because people like us aren’t the average fans. I think it was Benjji-sales that showed the objective metrics that there was a larger majority of gamers who thought positively of the XG Showcase than its counterpart, so I think objectively it’s unfair for any of us to be speaking as the “fans’” perspective when we all are here because we are more finely tuned to every rumor and snippet of news. I also have gone through several years where “insiders” claimed this would be the one where Fable or “x” game was announced, yet it never materializes so I think judging a conference on “surprises” is a little bit off the mark. I judge a show based on the content (regardless of form) and how it makes me feel.

I walked away from that show more excited and hopeful than I have for years, for a number of reasons. Xbox Game Pass, continues to prove why it’s the best value in gaming, and even if the first-party studios weren’t putting out some amazing titles (which I personally feel that they have over the past two years) it would still be worth it for the myriad of indie and larger third-party titles on there. Additionally, and the metrics from Benji also line up with my opinion here, I couldn’t care whether a game shown is CG, in-engine, or “real” gameplay so long as I know X game is being made by X studio. To that end, I don’t know how anyone could come away from the show as anything but floored; the diversity is insane, the clear rebuttal to the “cross-gen argument” with Xbox Series X and PC only titles married with a hefty amount of titles that will support all three platforms, great timed/full exclusives and some great Japanese support.

Edit: Meant to add, in terms of needing to be convinced of the hardware; I work in HPC so I’m more than aware of the capabilities of the XSX generally, and I already know it’s going to be a massive jump over even the One X, and a fair jump over real-world comparisons to the PS5. So I don’t need to be convinced, and I understand that some do but it would be a bad-faith argument to look past Flight Sim and Hellblade while lauding the same in-engine, gameplay-less reveals of the closest competitor.

I highly enjoyed it… Games are my hobby so maybe I don’t take things as serous… But they literaly showed me everything I wanted… Yes they could use more gameplay but ppl shitted on them saying hey atleast show a trailer like Sony… N wen they do… The same ppl shit on them for not using gameplay… Specially wen it’s games that won’t come out in the near future… Idk I think it was as good as it should have been… It made me feel good about the future of Xbox…

2 Likes

Years:

Greatest of all time: 10/10

Average: 8/10

lol

4 Likes

8/10 Great.

And they get a pass about the lack of game play because of the corona virus.

I’m very pleased about all the game pass stuff that’s coming.

2 Likes

I really enjoyed it. Thought Halo looked great with gameplay and environment. There were rough edges to its demo but we’re getting open world fps at 60 frames. That’s a great step for the franchise.

I didn’t mind the cgi trailers. I have seen many, including me, asking to see games that are further out. Well if they are further out there will be little to no gameplay.

I’m pumped for the future and all the other titles we haven’t heard about.

Great to have a place to share honest thoughts on a platform for fans. Loving this new Era lol

2 Likes

I loved it. 9/10 for me. So I guess I’ll round up.

4 Likes

I was expecting a bit better…probably because I was expecting alot more gameplay …7/10

I’m not sure how much was affected by Covid, but in a vacuum it was a pretty flat presentation. Halo Infinite was a weird demo that didn’t really sell the concept of an open ring Halo game with a Horizon Ubisoft map, it felt very small and the music did it no favours. We did get Craig out of it though and I’m glad 343 had the foresight to lean into Craig as a concept. As for the other XGS titles shown even for CGI teasers they really didn’t show much or give you anything to speculate about or even talk about, Avowed looks like an RPG of some sort, Fable has a castle and a woods in it, Forza exists. The only studios that had decent trailers were Double Fine and Undead Labs. I think their timed launch partners did a better job than their first party which kinda sucks because how many years have people been waiting for first party to knock it out of the park. As for Japanese content I didn’t see much there unfortunately, how hard is it to get Square Enix to treat you like an equal? Every year its like Squares table scraps and a side of Dragon Ball. Don’t even get me started with Atlus they won’t even show up. It would be cool to see some form of SMT or Persona game or something like that, the audience isn’t going to build itself. This year like many other years felt like another “just wait until next year THEN they are gonna kill it” and its starting to feel like Groundhog Day for me. I love the hardware and the user experience but they don’t have the WOW factor. Oh and could they never hire Keighley again that guy clearly has a problem generating excitement for a thing he clearly doesn’t like and his guests were just the worst picks overall besides Alanah Pearce, the rest were either hostile to the subject or uninformed or even worse just uninterested. I’d give the show a 6/10 I didn’t hate it but it did not deliver for me.

Great show altogether. Two letdowns:

• Halo’s visuals (I am not a Halo fan though, so it doesn’t bother me that much)
  • The Fable trailer should have been longer.

On the other hand, the Fable trailer got me really excited for the game because it really nailed that fairy-tale look.