What news will MS drop this week to dilute the Spartacus reveal news cycle?

Whether on purpose or not, Microsoft broke the Bethesda acquisition news only few days after Sony did a PS Showcase Event.

Safest bet is MS will go silent until June for their yearly show.

Yes we’ll hear about the new gamepass additions each 15 days but other than that i don’t expect anything

3 Likes

It was announced just before the pre-order day. So I think it was a coincidence. But again Sony did a showcase before the pre-orders too.

3 Likes

No one is “downplaying” Spartacus. But if the rumors are true, it’s just an inferior service to Gamepass. If MS launched such a service, I’d call it trash too.

Microsoft doesn’t have to respond to everything Sony is doing. Also, I think it’s safe to say it also won’t match up to Gamepass, so why would Microsoft have to respond?

1 Like

They will announce Elden Ring for Game Pass

announce Ryse 2 where you quell Spartacus rebellion :keanu:

4 Likes

releasing goldeneye today (just because I want goldeneye today, they don’t need to do anything)

There’s an interesting problem that Sony have - if they launch Spartacus, and it lands in the next few weeks or months, and they include a bunch of Sony published first party games (like Gran Turismo or Horizon) then there might be a few pissed off folk who paid up $70 for it, only to be given it as a sub later on.

It’s a fine line to walk.

Well we know it won’t have that, it might have 2020 and 2021 first party games though.

Why would MS do anything when their competition validates their business model?

This forum should stop beeing so defensive every time Sony is in the news cycle :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

This 100%. I stocked up on PS+ Subs when I find them on sale, I currently have PS+ till about 2025. If there is no conversion and the biggest selling point is access to limited collections of old games, Im not interested. Particularly considering I bought a whole bunch of PS1 classics that I can’t play anymore.

1 Like

People are easily scared with just the THOUGHT of an announcement from Sony…

Nothing happened yet people already want Microsoft to do something to “dilute the news cycle” lol

3 Likes

Should we mourn the death of the PS3? PlayStation has never figured out PS3 backwards compatibility and now with Spartacus supplanting PS Now this feels like the end of the PS3. PlayStation isn’t going to scale up production of PS3 chips to make 10-50 million PS3 server blades.

2 Likes

Maybe they will come up with the emulator (doubt). I mean enthusiasts created emulator without the access to the source code of PS3, for Sony engineers it should be much easier (though laugh at PSN).

True. But if not then we are about a week away from several games being erased forever.

Xbox isnt exactly the type to do those type of reaction based things. I mean, they have been overly quiet for a while now, and yes I can see it being annoying. Sony are about to drop their biggest bomb in years by all accounts, so they will be in the news regardless. I just hope Spartacus isn’t as utterly shite as it sounds. No day one, possibly no ps3, and emulation done via streaming, plus a price increase? I would just laugh. Though there are supposed to be other equally huge things this week from them.

Xbox is silent, still. And I hate that. Waaay too quiet for me. They did Activision, and then it’s just been nothing.

4 Likes

The service won’t have any PS5 games initially according to Bloomberg’s original report.

Details on Spartacus may still not be finalized, but documentation reviewed by Bloomberg outlines a service with three tiers. The first would include existing PlayStation Plus benefits. The second would offer a large catalog of PlayStation 4 and, eventually, PlayStation 5 games.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-03/playstation-plans-new-service-to-take-on-xbox-game-pass

1 Like

They had a ID@Xbox show and announced a new publishing division for their cloud native games in the last two weeks. Xbox wasn’t silent.

2 Likes

Not exactly what people want though, is it. So far other than the Activision deal the biggest thing people are talking about is how they messed up Xbox DVR even worse and removed twitter functionality. Compare Xbox this year, to Xbox last year. It’s like two different companies.