What are your next gen plans?

I want to finish Nier: Automata on my One X than I’m getting a Series S.

I know no one has posted in a month, but I ended up making an unplanned change to my original plans…

Pre-ordered a Series X from Microsoft store and got it on launch day, but was playing Watch Dogs and just didn’t feel like taking the time to swap my One X out that night. The next day I happened to be out on Ebay and saw how much the consoles were selling for, and decided to just go ahead and sell mine off to make a bit of money (I went with 800 to not make it as crazy as some). I’m in the middle of trying to build a new medium high end PC for me and one for my wife, and figured a couple hundred extra bucks would help make that more affordable for now. I’ll order another one next year when the supply is more available, so I can split up the cost a bit. In the meantime, I figure I have a working system that plays things well, even if not quite AS well.

Curious if anyone else decided to sell off a system they previously had planned to keep?

PC and Switch, and if Microsoft gets more couch gaming things, that aren’t third person action adventures… I am going to buy a Series S. But that all depends on Microsoft resisting the urge to “Sonify” their library. I’d like more Arcade titles and fun games I can play with my friends :). Oh and platformers and AA titles. Can’t wait what Double Fine will produce :)!

And no Forza Horizon is not an Arcade racer ;). No matter how many sim fanboys say it is :P, it’s a fun game… just no Outrun or Ridge Racer ;). A good hint, the cars are too serious in comparison to say an Outrun or … even a Midtown Madness 3 (that game wasn’t full Arcade either, but at least it was a lot of multiplayer fun :P).

My next gen plans have been put on a slight hold. Had Xbox Series X pre-ordered at the Microsoft Store and as of last Monday night, still wasn’t shipped out so I said screw it and cancelled the pre-order despite Microsoft charging me 10 days earlier and then refunding me.

I was able to get a Best Buy credit card and through December 25th, there’s no interest for 18 months on purchases $499 and higher. With a $2000 credit limit, I bought a new PC laptop (Acer Nitro 5) which I needed anyway since I upgraded my internet service to 1gig and my old laptop (Toshiba Satellite) only had the 10/100 Ethernet Card. LMAO.

So I now have my new laptop and have until December 25th to buy an Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 via Best Buy. My primary will be Xbox Series X (especially since I already purchased a few digital games a week ago) so if I can’t get it by then, I’ll wait until Spring 2021 to get one. With all the issues im reading and seeing for both platforms, im probably better off waiting anyway.

Thankfully, my backlog will only be five games or less so waiting isn’t a big deal.

1 Like

Mine are on hold too. I’ve got my RTX 2060 Max Q PC to keep me company as I try and sort things out with Walmart and hopefully I’ll have the Series X by Cyberpunk day.

PS5 should hopefully come by Monday. Between Astro’s Playroom, Borderlands 3, Bugsnax, Demon’s Souls, Sackboy, Spidey Miles and Remastered and the Plus Collection I should have more than enough to keep busy. That said, is Godfall any good? I’m a critic and I know sometimes we are woefully off the mark (cough Bleeding Edge, Sea of Thieves, Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated, etc.) so I was wondering if it’s worth the $50USD the local drug store is selling it for today (and today only).

You have plenty to play on PS5, that’s for sure.

I have seen mostly negative critic reviews for Godfall with some non-critics enjoying the game. I’m personally going to wait either way for the XSX version especially since there’s always the possibility that it ends up in Game Pass.

I will say that for me personally, more times than not, when a game is critically acclaimed, I usually see it as being overrated and when a game is critically bashed, I usually see it as being underrated. LOL.

1 Like

Pretty true for me as well. What I love about GPU is I don’t have to worry about reviews. It’s different when money’s on the line.

Agreed. Starting with this generation, im only buying games that I know im going to play through 100%. I’m interested in Godfall but it’s one of the two timed console exclusives that I can wait for to go to Xbox Series X. I do believe that there’s a good chance that it ends up on Game Pass day one or possibly have the first (and maybe the second) expansion included into the base game package.

1 Like

SeriesX with game pass and 3rd party games(unless PS5 has big visual advantage)

and a digital PS5 for exclusives, i buy naughty dogs games and may get any other that appeals to me, so the digital edition will be the better value because I will just get PSN gift cards for a reduced price, so it might work out cheaper then retail at launch, and I buy naughty dog games at launch.

Yeah im going to analyse games a lot more before buying them, while i enjoyed Spiderman and god of war they are good games, however they do have issues and I can go without them.

For new IP’s and whatnot, I agree completely. For franchises that you mentioned like God of War and Spider Man in addition to Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry and many more, I know that im all in. The game would literally have to be a disaster for me to bypass them.

Every game has issues. Personally, I have never ever rated any game a perfect 10/10 because to me, that means that game has no flaws and that’s just not going happen. It all comes down to if the positives outweigh the negatives and if so, how much of a gap is there. Like for example, if I have say 8 positives and 2 negatives for a game, im still playing it unless there’s something in the game that prevents me from enjoying it. Thankfully, that rarely happens.

Looking at Godfall, it’s definitely my type of game. Combat is said to be real good as is the gameplay itself with the visuals looking great and solid audio. Negatives are the thin as paper story line and non-interesting characters as well as the structure of the gameplay loop which would be the main negative for me. You have to go through the same boss multiple times in order to get a certain amount of a particular resource in order to unlock that world’s boss. Once you do that, you advance to the next world.

It’'s similar to Monster Hunter World. But overall, the structure sounds bad. If it ends up in Game Pass next year sometime, then I will definitely give it a shot because for a $10 monthly rental, why not?

Its that the quality bar is so high right now for AAA and there plenty of other stuff to play, I have blind faith in naughty dog and R* and nearly in Bethesda main titles, but the new god of war were a reboot and a new studio tackling a huge franchise, Spiderman had fantastic gameplay , story and set pieces if thats what you’re into that great but personally for me the location of a open world game is just as important as any other element and Spidermans world lacked depth it was a beautiful film set and the mission activities did lack a some variety, while the peter parker section were fun they were rather limited. God of war faired a bit better with me while it does get rather tedious, the upgrading system is unessesarily complicated and the world design had to many awkward and confusing narrow rivers and artificially blocked off barriers, however the story was excellent and the combat grows on you. The thing is when I have completed these games I asked myself to these games meet the hype? Did I enjoy them more then gears 5 or resident evil 7 that I got for £10.99/month with gamepass? The answer is no, so its really a question of hype management and value. Metacritic and other people’s opinions on games are pretty useless to me.

Spider Man 2018 was excellent overall. Combat/gameplay/traversal was superb. Visuals/audio/story were all great. Side content was meh at best but that’s why it’s side content. LOL. My biggest negative in the game were the forced stealth sections. They fucking sucked, plain and simple. I enjoyed the Peter Parker sections because it was a solid break/in between the combat and open world. I live in NY so I had no issues with the location. I rarely if ever have an issue with the location in games as long as it fits the game itself.

God of War was amazing for me. Not perfect. No game is but it was my 2nd best game of the generation. Did you complete the game? The blocked off areas open up as you progress through the game and the water decreases in the world that opens up previously inaccessible areas. Loved the combat/gameplay, story and characters.

Personally, I rated God of War a 9.5/10, Spider Man - 9.0/10, Gears 5 - 9.0/10 and Resident Evil 7 - 8.0/10. Only Gears 5 was via Game Pass. The other three were purchased day one. Depends on what your metric is when it comes to enjoying games. Cost of a game doesn’t affect me in regards to how much im going to like a game or not. I paid $60 for Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 and rated it a 6.0/10 because even if it was $20, it just wasn’t a good game. LOL. For me, the value is all about the game itself, the quality of each category in which I rate the games for myself personally and if im enjoying the game enough to keep playing.

I love Game Pass but if for example, when I play Gears Tactics and if I don’t like the game, paying $10 for it as a monthly rental compared to buying it for $60 isn’t going to change anything because the price doesn’t determine if a game is good or not. At least not for me. I only use Open Critic for games I may have missed and it’s easier to go on a year by year basis for each platform that I own via Open Critic. It’s how I came across COD: Advanced Warfare, Vampyr, Yakuza games and a few others. I’ll lookup gameplay walkthroughs for each individual game and if what I see appeals to me, I’ll play them. If not, I just won’t bother.

I watched the opening of Godfall and I can’t lie - visuals appeal to me a lot as does the combat and gameplay loop. I just don’t like the structure of how Counterplay Games set it all up which is why I will wait and see if it goes in Game Pass day one when it releases for Xbox Series X/S.

I will watch several YouTubers that I follow on Twitter and see what their opinions are but it’s only for the 50/50 games like Godfall. I like SkillUp but he shitted all over Valhalla which I understand because he’s not really a fan or into the current trilogy of Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla but for me, im 100% all in so it doesn’t matter what anyone says including him. I have watched a few video reviews for Godfall. One rated it a 7.5/10. Another said it’s worth more like $30/$40 as opposed to $70 and one hated it. For the 50/50 games, it’s more about finding out what stuff is in the game that I personally will not like or enjoy. Problem is that sometimes the only way to know for sure is to play the game yourself.

In the end, it’s all up to each individual person to see what game is and isn’t for them.

Yeah you have your opinions and I have mine.

Everyone does. Nothing wrong with that. In fact, that’s what it should be. :slight_smile:

Yeah ok…

But it doesn’t matter about opinion in my point, the point is people should be cautious of hype like you are with godfall and i will be with the inevitable hype of the next god of war and spiderman games or any other hyped up game. And for yout information yes I did complete the story of god of war, areas do open up but that was not my complaint, it has several large areas which are connected via small paths or the portal hub and there are artificial barriers, they were trying to give the feeling of an open world but in practice it was just fustrating at times

Well, I was making PS4 last gen, but because if gamepass, etc I’ll be making Xbox this gen.

I was so disappointed by TLOU2, that I plan to skip anything TLOU related from now on. I’ll get a PS5 when 3 good exclusives are out.

I am strictly Series X, and most games will be GP. Will supplement with the occasional sale, but that is all. It’s a time issue. I do have a Switch, but don’t buy all that much for it right now except Nintendo exclusives. I will miss the Sony studios like Insomniac, but that will pass eventually.

I rarely get hyped for games. Now, if anything, im hyped because a new generation just started and im done with the current generation. The games I buy day one, im all in with regardless of reviews or other’s opinions. I do have “rating expectations” for the games that im going to be playing and by that, I mean for me. Like, what rating am I expecting to give AC Valhalla, Miles, WDL, Gears Tactics and Immortals Fenyx Rising. They’re all between an 8 and a 9. I’m not worried or concerned about any of these games underwhelming me or anything like that. One or two may even surprise me. But im not expecting any of them to be lower than an 8/10 for me overall.

I’m not hyped for Godfall at all. LOL. I’m interested in playing it but I will wait and see how it plays out by the time it releases on Series X. I do like the combat and the visuals look great but im not hyped. It’s one of those pre-release 50/50 games that’s still 50/50 post-release. LOL.

As for God of War Ragnarok, im day one. I’m not worried about Santa Monica. Except for Ascension, they haven’t really made a bad or even average game. Their games are usually in the top tier so no worries about them. I loved Spider Man 2018 and would rank it ahead of Batman Arkham Asylum, Arkham Knight and Arkham Origins but behind City. The gameplay and combat is just so much better. More fluid, responsive and more fun at least for me.

I understand your point of view in regards to God of War 2018. I never felt that way because I never looked at the game as being an open world or trying to be. I looked at it more like Rise of the Tomb Raider. Wide linear areas/maps. Open world for me is like Valhalla, RDR 2, etc. I simply never looked at GOW 2018 in that way so I didn’t have those issues like you did.

I hope GoW is PS4, so I can play it in some capacity