We need to talk about that Square-Enix relationship with Xbox

The silence around the XIV port makes me think that something is going on behind the scenes. I know Yoshi said that resources are kinda stretched thin at the moment and he couldn’t really talk about it, but it’s been a little over two years now with out any real news. I can wait (It’s an MMO, these things take time), but his words don’t fill me with much confidence.

I still stand by that FFXIV was/is planned as an E3 announcement to go along with the elimination of “gold required” for F2P games.

FF XIV was adressed by the game director a short while ago. They said they absolutely want to bring this game to Xbox, but the scale has gotten so big with all the expansions that the workload is ever only increasing. And then they end up priotizing the new expansion over the Xbox port. Not great to hear but it is what it is.

FFVIIR is not coming to Xbox.

Man, you sure?

The last state of play didn’t mention it being exclusive anymore, so I had hope.

As someone who can only afford one console(XSS) - This is the studio that hurts the most being an Xbox owner. In the past I kept a PS4 around for Square alone but I CBA to do that any more as life is a bit hectic for me to own 2+ consoles.

Some of my favourite games ever and I cannot play them due to Money being thrown about. Welp, guess I’ll be watching a Playthrough on YouTube and not give any money to Square. :man_shrugging:

Shouldn’t we be getting FFVIIR about now? :thinking:

It’s not a 100% no but I wouldn’t hold my breath regarding it coming to Xbox. I would expect it on PC for sure though.

1 Like

Welp looks like Outriders is hitting Game Pass so maybeee this is the start of their new releationship??

It’s all business. Let’s be realistic Final Fantasy does best on Playstation. Multiplayer games tend to be very successful on xbox hell even with the horrendous marketing for Destiny. Destiny still managed to be extremely successful on xbox.

Also Call of Duty.

It’s all business

Exactly and if it turns out to be good business then maybe they will work together more. Could you just imagine if FF7R launches on Xbox and goes straight into Game Pass. I don’t think the Sony/SE relationship is a set in stone thing, SE just seems to me to be money hungry and Sony keeps paying up. I’d argue (as stupid as it sounds) MS could pay SE and they would launch it day 1 on Xbox but also PS, would be a shitty thing for MS to have to do to get it on the console but I wouldn’t be shocked if SE took the money.

MS is going to look more and more like the better company to back as the years go on, companies will be stupid to continue to ignore Xbox. The reason why Sony can get easy deals is because of how little the Xbox base is compared to Sony but once that starts to creep back up to Sony it will start costing them more and more.

It’s coming to PC. Sony timed deals usually have stipulations that you can’t mention other platforms AT ALL until the deal ends. Which is April 3rd, 2021. I’d imagine you won’t hear about FFVIIR on PC until April and if there is even a slight chance it comes to Xbox, you’d have to wait until then too.

Na it’s probably Sony buying silence like they did with Diablo 3 where we did not know a port was happening until it actually launched.

Are we gonna talk about it today or nah?

So with all this discussion about FF7R and FF16 having exclusivity purchased by Sony, is it a stretch to think that FF14 was/is being kept off the Xbox due to some agreement?

There was talk that there was some issue with Microsoft’s policies, but I’m thinking that isn’t the case right now.

I’ve answered the question on FF XIV a couple posts above. These points were taken from two articles published earlier this year.

With FF VII R and FF XVI, we just have to wait and see. FF XV still sold millions of copies on Xbox, I expect them to bring the games over eventually, but we’re clearly not a priority to Square anymore who instead like their sweet paycheck deals. I do wonder if FF VII R could be a shadowdrop on their E3-like conference rather than being announced low-key in April.

Yes, but I feel like there has always been a lot of convenient excuses surrounding FF14. Then FF7R rolls around and now FF16 and it’s kinda like ahhhhh, now I see. It may be nothing, but it feels like SE puts all of their games up for auction or something and whomever (Sony/MS) offers the better terms gets a deal. In the case of FF15 maybe MS countered Sony and Sony wasn’t willing to pay as much as with the others.

jerry maguire money GIF

That’s SE pretty much. When you are willing to sell exclusivity for your biggest IP anything is for sale. All they care about is ensuring the financial risk to them is as small as possible.

1 Like

I’ve always wondered in cases of big IPs like Final Fantasy if SE can pit Sony and MS against each other even if it is just an “equal” release. Like SE has both of them pay to not make a game exclusive to their competitor.

Another Square Enix game to game pass.

1 Like

Interesting to see the Octopath Traveler port to Game Pass. If they bring this game over, maybe this is a sign of more things to come for some of Square’s smaller games. I do think Last Remnant should be on Xbox if Octopath Traveler is, honestly. It’s a very cool game, BTW.