We need to talk about that Square-Enix relationship with Xbox

I guess at this point is pretty clear.

Square is indeed taking money wherever possible.

Get money from Sony and Nintendo to release games exclusively.

Port later to Xbox getting money from Ms to get it on gamepass so they don’t lose money from being late.

3 Likes

So what if Final Fantasy 7 Remake Integrade launched on Gamepass?

With how excited everyone is for Octopath it makes it seem more odd that Square decided it wasn’t worth porting SaGa Frontier Remastered to Xbox…

Unless they’re planning on putting that on Game Pass later too :thinking:

1 Like

I’d bet money on that :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Isn’t Square Enix publishing Dying Light 2???

Would be funny if Microsoft ends up with Dying Light 2 as a timed console exclusive now that I think about it. Wouldn’t be shocked if The Avengers gets added to Game Pass sooner rather than later. If I was Microsoft, I would try to get Nier Replicant on Game Pass day one. Granted, the game won’t be huge on a mainstream level but it would show that they’re even more serious about getting Japanese games on Xbox in general.

I could see Avengers getting announced as coming to game pass on Thursday at the Square Enix event. It would make sense.

1 Like

True. Since im saving money on Outriders, I was thinking of buying Avengers since I have $20 in my Microsoft account so it would only cost me $10 and all the character expansions are free. If they do, even better for me!!! lol

Square Enix has a market cap around 7 billion. With it demanding a premium on the market, it would likely demand 9+ billion. That’d be a huge amount of the free cash that Sony has available and they also do not generate anywhere near the profit per quarter that Microsoft does, it would take them a while to recoup that investment and they don’t have a service that they’re pushing hard that would make it worth it, they’d just basically get the revenue from squares games and if it pushed any new hardware sales (which I mean I don’t really see because if those are the games you play you have a PS already). In fact their revenue drops because they lose sales on other consoles and they’re not pushing their service to make it worth it in the long run. If they make a real push with psnow then I can see it.

2 Likes

all the doom and gloom in this thread is looking hilarious now, isn’t it.

like i’ve said before, none of us know what is on the horizon for xbox.

5 Likes

I think they are just distributing it and Techland is publishing. May be wrong though.

Now with Octopath traveler coming. Day 1 outriders on gamepass and Persona 5 / Dragon Quest builders rumoured to be coming to Xbox this thread is starting to look bad lol.

2 Likes

Didn’t Techland shut down their publishing arm a while back?

https://press.na.square-enix.com/TECHLAND-PARTNERS-WITH-SQUARE-ENIX-TO-DELIVER-INNOVATIVE-SEQUEL-DYING-

Techland Publishing® and Square Enix® are proud to announce their Americas partnership to distribute the upcoming open-world action RPG game, Dying Light 2 .

1 Like

I think more likely than Sony acquiring Square Enix right now would be Sony telling Square Enix to give them a heads up if anyone else starts making serious offers to purchase. Right now Sony gets 90+% of the games SE puts out and a fair number of them already skip their main competition (Xbox) so the purchase isn’t too worth it, but if Microsoft actually started making inroads towards acquiring SE I can see Sony paying pretty much whatever it would take to keep SE’s games on their system.

Sony’s financial status would be very fragile for a long time if they acquired a conglomerate like Square Enix. I doubt it will ever happen.

This is why an acquisition will never happen from anyone

Is Dragon Quest Builders real? I thought I was having a beautiful dream.

Where is this rumor coming from?

It was very much justified. There was no other Square-Enix game announced for Xbox anymore except for Outriders and Balan Wondeworld. Things are looking better now, I just hope they will not only add Final Fantasy but also their AA back catalogue. I’m as happy as anyone to see Octopath coming over. Now we should all play it, too!

2 Likes

As a Switch owner, you should try Octopath. Bravely Default 2 is great as well, though I’m uncertain anyone but Nintendo ever gets it. I would love P5 to come to Xbox, but it will probably be Strikers