Watch Dogs Legion Running on XSX (With Raytracing)

Can the game detect its running on a vrr display? It would indeed make a single mode super easy to implement

Which PC specs?

Ah yes the new narrative has developedā€¦this is just a current gen game with Ray tracing.

Hmmmā€¦yet Spidā€¦no I must resistā€¦

4 Likes

The console can, so yeah.

2 Likes

I have watched that trailer 3 times already as itā€™s gotten me more hyped to play Watch Dogs Legion than I had been. I did buy it and picked it up yesterday from GameStop. Canā€™t wait to play it on Xbox Series X with that glorious Ray Tracing in 4K with HDR on my 4K 55" CX OLED!!!

I really wish I could fast forward the next 10 days!!! LOL.

2 Likes

GeneralEveryHarvestmen-size_restricted SoulfulWelloffBadger-size_restricted

4 Likes

Holy freaking hellā€¦those two images with the character walking and the driving sequence all look amazing.

3 Likes

Itā€™s nearing photorealism. Will WDL have HDR too?

3 Likes

That brings another question. Does the auto hdr feature works for native SX games without hdr too?

If so it basically would mean every single game will have hdr on SX which is a very nice proposition

I believe so. HDR10 is listed on the case and should have it in addition to Ray Tracing and 4K.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a really good question actually, had not thought of that at all yet. Because no way every single game is going to have HDR, just because itā€™s next gen. Especially the smaller studios I think. I hope it works like that. But I recall in one of the auto HDR videos that a certain game had auto HDR but the update was removed because it just didnā€™t look proper. So Iā€™m not sure.

If their HDR implementation is properā€¦itā€™s gonna look absolutely insane at night with the neon lights, rain, puddles, etc. Oh my.

I wondered about that here in another thread a while back. Might be interesting since ya could potentially save a little bit on I/O and RAM needs by not including that HDR data in the texture files.

Agreed. WDL is looking like a visual showcase for Xbox Series X at launch.

3 Likes

didnt they say its a consistent 30? Sounds like alternate language for locked 30. But thats the thing confusing me, why would they mention VRR if the fps was locked anyway? Do you mean to say the consistent 30 is just optimistic and the game shall dip frames even below that in some points? Maybe thatā€™s where the VRR is supposed to come in prevent screen tear when that happens. Still weird tho, the game looks absolutely phenomenal with RT on, but sad to not see any modes. Consoles gonna console for a while longer I guess. Maybe a 108060 with RT and 4k60 without for XSX and 1440p30 with RT, and 1080-1440p 60 without RT, but no 60fps option with RT as thatā€™d take it sub 1080p into Yakuza LAD territory lol, makes you wonder how bad the optimization of that game is when it runs 1440/30 on XSS while WL:D, a far more complex world with RT at the same res and fps. Hope the trend is gonna be the Watch Dogs side rather than the Yakuza one.

1 Like

It might be uncapped or might also be a toggle switch. Or might be something that can be done automatically from the console.

1 Like

Could it be that itā€™s internally above at 30fps at all times but constantly vsynced (and not capped to 30) that would ensure that on regular displays its locked at 30 and once VRR kicks in it will go to the actual framerates.

But I donā€™t know how that would work because most tvs only kick vrr above 40hz

Ummm wtf is this true or photoshop? this looks insane to me

5 Likes

Wtf. That has to be real life, seriously I donā€™t see anything ā€œgameā€ on those photos.

Going by the comments it seems to be the game, Jesus. Amazing how detailed that building is. Gone are the days for having a big box and just a texture over it and done, this is so real.

2 Likes

haha if I had to be critical, its the characters. The materials and lighting is not as perfect on them like youā€™d expect cuz this is still a game engine and its still majority rasterization based. But remember, this is also because we as humans have basically evolved to recognize humans extremely well, even the slightest differences can be immediately caught. Also some of the models on closer inspection show their low polys even though the baked textures are very good and high res.

Outside that, this could literally pass off as some instagram stories posted by some bloke in London, itā€™s that good.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s amazing. Everything on that building is modeled, none of it is just a texture and thatā€™s it. I love this.