Video Game Market Analysis Thread

Nintendo literally sold cardboard on it.

1 Like

Sony still coasting on that loyalty and image as ā€œThe console for Japanese gamesā€ while doing the absolute bare minimum to earn it.

Xbox gets a lot of hate for ā€œWesternizingā€ and ā€œAAA-ingā€ console gaming from certain people when it was Sony that pushed consoles that direction with the PS3. The PS3 was a big slap in the face to Japan coming off the PS1/2 IMO.

4 Likes

This is one of the best examples of the power of marketing. When this game was coming for Switch, it got extended gameplay trailers on Directs, multiple demos, and a big push from Nintendo. Before it came to PC, they said it was at ~950k. After they silently dropped the PC version with barely any advertising, it is just now hitting 1M. So the PC version only did 50k or worse. Late port plus basically no advertising.

Now we look over at NEO The World Ends With Youā€¦ A game that had no advertising. It flopped kinda badly. I think it only appeared in 1 Direct for like a few seconds, did not appear in any Sony show, and the PC version was a late EGS exclusive. Some people say this would have sold more as a Switch exclusive, as Nintendo would have given it that BD2 treatment and marketed the shit out of it. Square for some reason however seemed to be giving PS preferential treatment in the minimal advertising (despite being a sequel to a Nintendo exclusive). For example, there were pictures of ads that were only mentioning the PS4 version of the game in Japanese stores circulating around when the game was coming out.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s japanese publishers strategy for Xbox, lol. I think they know their late and cheap efforts would bomb, but they are dumb enough to repeat the endless cycle apparently.

SE siding with Sony is no news, they have a stranglehold over there, personal ties with execs, etcā€¦even Switch which now owns Japan canā€™t break it.

1 Like

So many ruined Christmas mornings

2 Likes

Series S is working as intended, for sure.

1 Like

Send it to Xbox Gamepass like Octopath, the community will market it.

In the yearly Amazon chart PS5 moved up several spots to #51 but Series S is still at #29 while Series X is at #79. PS5 Digital isnā€™t in the top 100.

When it comes to availability the only one you can buy right now is Series S.

2 Likes

Normally wouldnā€™t post something like this here as itā€™s pretty irrelevant to Xbox, but Iā€™m using it as a lesson to NEVER take fanboy bait seriously

Atlus says SMT V sold 800k on Switch and are very happy with the sales. You would not BELIEVE the amount of Sony fanboys saying this game was a massive flop on Switch. There was a really active campaign AGAINST the game and people were trying to say it only sold about 100k-150k. Some of them were really obvious, saying ā€œwouldnā€™t have flopped if it was on Playstation.ā€ I can agree with the game being multiplat, of course, no reason not to (unless Nintendo was involved in the exclusivity?), but the way they were painting the game as a massive failure because it wasnā€™t on Playstation was justā€¦ ugh.

Iā€™m really surprised at those numbers on something like SMT. This is a blatant showing that there is very much an audience for Persona on Switch (and it would for sure do well on Xbox as itā€™s one of the most popular JRPGs around). If Persona 6 is still PS exclusive, then Iā€™m inclined to believe that they have a contract with Sony and mainline Persona will never appear on anything but PS and maybe PC (P4G Steam port).

For comparison, SMT 4 sold 600k on 3DS in 2 years. This sold 800k on Switch in 2 months.

4 Likes

Letā€™s see if it can work with Starfield. Thatā€™s their greatest challenge.

What?

Based on the post, it was stated that Sony fans claimed the Atlus game for Switch was deemed as a flop, only to be false. Iā€™m saying that their true challenge is Starfield, since they have been saying Bethesda being exclusive to Xbox will be disaster in sales. Thatā€™s what they claimed.

2 Likes

People really should learn the better a game sells, exclusive or not, then the chances are higher that 1. The game will come out on more platforms later 2. A complete, super, extra, whatever edition will come out on more platforms. 3. Even if those things canā€™t/donā€™t happen, similar but different games (clones) will be made that will come out. 4. If the game bombs, people get fired and chances are the game dies forever. There is no "ooops it must be the Switch users that donā€™t play these types of games tee hee, next time weā€™ll just increase the budget and release it on Playstation. Gomennasai Sony players weā€™ll never do it again :frowning: "

People really need to stop acting like some bitter jilted lover going on smear campaigns just because a game isnā€™t on their platform.

Linking this here since it is a dangerous topic in some threads.

It would be nice if Xbox updated its Bing maps to include the countries outside the US. This ā€œhere there be dragons - let them have scrapsā€ is getting a bit old.

2 Likes

IDK where you come from, but I can assure you they are not, I canā€™t fathom seeing ads for everything PS or Nintendo and not a single one for Xbox sinceā€¦? I donā€™t even remember when. Letā€™s not even start to talk about localization, lol.

Dev presence =/ market presence

Outside english speaking countries their are cheap, thatā€™s the right definition, maybe now they are spending some dollar for Japan because over there they need to at least appear as interested because of heavy dev presence, but in continental EU? lol

I always thought the new consoles would have been pushed more, but no, I was dead wrong. They are selling better only because they are a better product and GP is a steal, imagine how much better they could go if they actually advertized their shit.

If I could talk to Phil it would be the first thing Iā€™d ask, their localization/marketing efforts here are borderline non-existant.

1 Like

Iā€™m in Sweden and well, Mojang is about as Xbox branded as you can imagineā€¦

1 Like

I come from Italy and i can see a different perception about Xbox Brand. Also the main gaming sites (like everyeye.it - the most important in Italy) are changing their point of view speaking very well about XBOX. many of my Mates have subscribed Gamepass for console or PC. Yes, Xbox needs to improve its marketing but I personally see some changes.

Iā€™m also come from Italy and tell me if you ever saw a tv ad or a simple billboard since X1 launch? I didnā€™t and I live in Milan, which is the HQ of MS south EU, lol. Localization is worse than 360 era, Forza was dubbed, itā€™s no more, even some Halo spin-off didnā€™t make the cut and in general, aside from mainline Halo and Gears, nothing is dubbed, which doesnā€™t help at all when you see a huge effort coming from Sony. Specialized websites, yeah, they talk more about Xbox, because, as I said, the product is objectively better than in the past, but also there you can see the difference of ads space and review codes. If Iā€™m not wrong the italian Xbox staff are like 2-3 people, the MS chief of marketing didnā€™t even know Xbox was launching a new console in fall 2020, they interviewed her on a famous tech website, lol, imagine the ugly figure and thatā€™s the sum of MS consideration of Xbox outside NA. People like it more because of word of mouth, thatā€™s my issue, MS is spending / putting a shit effort.

Ciao, sono Giacomo, piacere. In Rome, i seen a massive marketing for Gamepass in underground

1 Like

Alessandro. :wink:

This news does surprise me, I saw shit in Milan, underground included, only PS5 ads EVERYWHERE, lol. Anyway their effort is really cheap compared to Sony, Iā€™ve never seen anymore an Italian ad for Xbox on tv since Ryse I think, or maybe Sunset Overdrive. They cut the budget and never looked back.