PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

So I got a PS5 over the Christmas holiday (we purchased it back in September and as a gift to our son) but the experience on the console / software side of the things has been lukewarm, albeit getting better.

As someone who games primarily on the Xbox since Game Pass entered the ring, my plan was to use the PS5 primarily for Sony’s exclusives. I had no intentions of subscribing to PS Plus.

I started with God of War, which I missed out on last gen, after buying the disc version for $10. After 10 - 15 hours into the game, my PS5 had a hard crash. The save data was corrupt and could not load. Because I didn’t have PS Plus, the file was not backed up to the cloud. I ended up subscribing to PS Plus so I could upload the file to the cloud and then redownload it hoping the issue would be cleared up but no - my save cannot be recovered.

Then God of War itself could not load past the menu. I kept getting corrupt game data errors. Then Spider-Man Remastered, which I hadn’t played up to this point, could not load and was also identified as corrupt despite having never launched it.

I followed the instructions through Sony’s support site and ended up having to completely reinstall the system software through safe mode. The install kept getting hung up in safe mode and it felt like I was stuck in an endless loop. Sony ended shipping me a box so I could send it for repairs or replacement and it was at this point that I was FINALLY able to get the OS reinstalled.

I haven’t went back to God of War (I’m still salty and need to give the game some time before a full restart) but I have been playing Spider-Man which I am LOVING and has been issue free so far (knock on wood).

I was on the phone with Sony support who were very friendly and suggest I put the console to the test before sending it back right away since I have 30 days to send for repairs.

So while things started rather miserably, it does seem like things are back on track. I am put off by an $89.99 CDN price tag for games (Game Pass spoiled me) and the cloud save system, so I’ll likely wait for sales and discounts or use gift cards to buy exclusives. Looking forward to completing Spider-Man in time for Horizon.

I haven’t experienced the Dual Sense features yet, but while I like the controller more than the DS4 I still don’t think it stacks up to the Series X one.

Hoping things will be better. I am looking forward to the exclusives I’ve missed out on and that are coming.

I could be saying this because of my negative experience, but the console doesn’t feel as “premium” as the Series X and S do, if that makes sense. God of War disc version vs. the PS Plus Collection, for example, didn’t even accept the same save! With the Series X everything has just worked across all platforms, regardless of the device you’re using, and my progress goes with me seamlessly. Not warring here - and I know my opinions can change after my PS5’s problems are ironed out.

1 Like

damn this boi CHONKY

1 Like

Oh man!!! Super hyped for Horizon Forbidden West. Easily, one of the favorites for my 2022 game of the year. 6 weeks to go from this coming Friday!!

2 Likes

Good to hear that the console is working. Did you already own the disc version of GOW because if not, you should have just signed up for PS Plus to get that Collection of Games which includes GOW and your cloud save issue with have been solved at the same time plus it would have cost the same amount for a month as what you paid for GOW - $10. If you already owned the disc, then disregard what I just said.

Spider Man 2018 is freaking awesome. Loved that game.

Yeah, PS5 doesn’t have the quality of stuff like Xbox does. Your games just working, free cloud saves (which have saved me twice within a year) and no day one games on a subscription service ala Game Pass.

Using the PS5 as an exclusives only console is what everyone does (including myself) if it’s their secondary console because nearly everything seems to just be easier on Xbox.

I understand what you mean but it not feeling premium. When you have a Series X and open the box, it’s like, damn this is excellent packaging but when you open the PS5 box, it’s like, that’s it? Of course, PS5 has already had a few amazing exclusives with many more to come which if they’re for you, makes up for the issues especially when you consider it to be your secondary exclusives only console.

Either way, I hope the PS5 stays working for you and that you continue to enjoy Spider Man 2018 and can eventually go back to GOW.

1 Like

Playing Shadow of the Colossus and man Bluepoint has such a beautiful engine so Im excited to see what they can do with it if they do their own original game.

Now back on SoTC … the sand snake and the bull colossi were awful and this games controls are TOO authentic with bad camera and janky controls.

Beating Xbox Series sales 10:1 apparently, MS lagging mad hard here. :confused:

yikes .

Without hard numbers the stats are meaningless.

Article says around 60,000 units for the PS5.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the 2nd highest selling Marvel game in India after Spiderman PS4 . Damn .

1 Like

Pfft.

We’re freaking out 6,000 Series vs Series X in INDIA?

Come on guys.

1 Like

huh? I am Indian that is why I posted this. It’s not like I found some random article about some random country I have no no personal investment in and posted it lol. I want Xbox’s presence here to get better.

2 Likes

Marvel is just as much a phenomenon here yeah, I have one neighbor (two kids) who have a PS4 and the only games they play are F2P like Fortnite and Apex, but they’re so massively into Marvel stuff (it’s almost exhausting lmao), the only other two other games they paid money for on the console and bought are Spiderman 2018 and Miles Morales lol.

I get that.

But at the same time considering a global supply chain shortage and the semi-conducter stuff, and manufactoring TWO models, I think 6,000 isn’t that bad.

It’s an emerging market for sure and Microsoft is for sure trying to get their feet wet there, but it’s not like they can just make consoles appear.

So I wouldn’t worry JUST yet. Let’s see how things shake out over the year with supply and games.

Many people say that these are all little things.

Only 60,000 Ps5 sold in India. But, it is from such little things that in the last generation more than a two-fold advantage of ps4 over xbox one came out. In fact, according to Vgcharts (Although this is a strange source, many rely on it), the Xbox series is again sold at the expense of the lion’s share of the US

And what will happen when the supplies of all consoles are adjusted.

When will Spider-man 2 come out, which is literally a cult in the states. What will happen when the wolverine comes out? One of the top 5 most played heroes in the world.

Microsoft should have realized for a long time that they need to seriously improve their position not only in the US and UK

1 Like

No wonder I couldn’t find xbox online easily.

I’m not exactly “worried” because it’s not something of a new and immediate concern haha, it’s been this way for a long time now and we’ve just grown accustomed to it. Just hoping it gets better, through a whole lot more marketing, more regular restocks, better regional pricing, all their game promotions coming anywhere outside the US/Europe, Quests and Rewards program, more games that appeal to the market (Mobile, Licensed, Sports, Battle Royale, GTA 5 lol), etc. Trust me, a proper AAA Cricket game would take over the country like nothing else. Like guaranteed actual multimillion seller. But yeah that’s a conversation for another time. Just hope they don’t treat the rest of the world outside the US/Europe the same way they have been doing. They’re doing better in Japan, but Japan shouldn’t be tokenised as constituting the entire Eastern gaming market effort anyway.

I sure Phil and moreso Satya realize how important India and other markets are and are trying to religate console based on where they think they sell the most and also where games come from.

Phil has recently said that he sees the next XGS studio coming from a worldwide hub like India or other countries, so I’m sure it’s on their to do list to make a sizeable footprint. However, I think focusing on Japan is the right call right now because Japan and other Asian countries have a tremendous pull in Game Dev with games that sell worldwide so if you want more Japanes/Korean/Chinese games on Xbox you need to put them in gamers and devs hands.

That means less consoles for other places right now.

It’s a tough call, but I think it’s the right one for now.

They have not, clearly. If it’s not native english speaking it doesn’t matter for MS.

I assure you continental EU is at best B tier in their minds, I can only imagine how bad it’s in Asia or middle-east considering how it’s here, lol.

From the looks of it, there’s probably a better chance of you moving out of India to somewhere that Xbox is hugely popular than Xbox becoming popular in India as it seems like it’s an afterthought for Microsoft.

1 Like