PlayStation 5 |OT| This SSD has no limits

The PlayStation 5 has finally been revealed. Here is a place to discuss it.

CPU x86-64-AMD Ryzen™ “Zen 2”
8 Cores / 16 Threads
Variable frequency, up to 3.5 GHz
GPU AMD Radeon™ RDNA 2-based graphics engine
Ray Tracing Acceleration
Variable frequency, up to 2.23 GHz (10.3 TFLOPS)
System Memory GDDR6 16GB
448GB/s Bandwidth
SSD 825GB
5.5GB/s Read Bandwidth (Raw)
PS5 Game Disc Ultra HD Blu-ray™, up to 100GB/disc
Video Out Support of 4K 120Hz TVs, 8K TVs, VRR (specified by HDMI ver.2.1)
Audio “Tempest” 3D AudioTech

PlayStation Blog article on the hardware

PlayStation 5: Answering your questions on compatible PS4 peripherals & accessories

Which existing PS4 peripherals/accessories will work on PS5?

• Specialty peripherals, such as officially licensed racing wheels, arcade sticks, and flight sticks, will work with PS5 games and supported PS4 games.
  • The Platinum and Gold Wireless Headsets, as well as third-party headsets that connect via USB port or audio jack, will work on PS5 (the headset companion app is not compatible with PS5).
  • The DualShock 4 wireless controller and PlayStation officially licensed third-party gamepad controllers will work with supported PS4 games.
  • Both the PS Move Motion Controllers and the PlayStation VR Aim Controller will work with supported PS VR games on PS5.
1 Like

Will say that I am looking forward to hearing more about the console and features that will be there day 1. Hoping to be surprised by a robust BC offering.

I’m excited for the eventual teardown of the ps5 could be a lot more to it that they are waiting to talk about.

I have pretty much owned every console from everyone over the years, so I will likely end up with a PS5 a couple years down the road when there is an exclusive that I feel is a must play for me over there.

One thing that I am interested in PS5 hardware wise is whether they managed to keep the noise down much lower than the PS4 Pro, which many (including myself) found to be quite loud during demanding games such as God of War. Phil Spencer seems to really like talking about how quiet the Xbox Series X will be, so maybe he has heard something about the competition noise levels by comparison :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really like the design and colour but the Controller I want more weight when I hold it. The DS3/4 always felt light in my hands. But look wise cant wait.

Will buy it, when some heavy hitters start to show up on the system. Which will be 2022, I guess.

Yea I’m in the same boat. Series x for multiplatform and a ps5 later on for exclusives or a ps5 pro if they go that route

1 Like

I just need a release date on Ratchet and Clank then I’ll cop one.

Yeah il be buying one in maybe a years time when there are some must haves. Hopefully TLOU2 and GOT will be cheaper then too.

Nice, thank you for creating the thread. Now that we have topics for all my 3 plataforms, I can definitely say this will my de facto forum for now!

Looking forward to seeing more Miles baby!

Price for digital console will be key if I buy a PS5 at launch. I can probably trade in my PS4 pro and my xbox one X for it since I have a good amount of money saved up for series x.

Also I need to know release date of GT7, Ratchet and Clank, and Horizon. I feel that will be the best time to get a PS5

I expect both ps5’s to cost the same. 599$ is what I said at the beginning of the year and I am staying by that. And I also think that price would be totally fine. Early Adopters will still buy at that price.

I am holding off getting a PS5 until a slim version and a bunch of exclusives are out on the market. The XSX has enough games with gamepass, BC of 4 generations, the best versions (best fps, resolution, raytracing) of the same multiplat games on both platforms, which made up over 98% on the market. There is virtually no need to spend an additional $500 - $600 plus extra on another controller this holiday. I will keep my PS4 Pro in the meantime to play some Ghost of Tsushima or God of War from time to time.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good idea. I like Sony first party games but fortunately they drop in price and by the time a revision comes around there should be plenty of great ones to pick up.

1 Like

i’ll wait for the Slim model,as always. I am sure i won’t miss much in the next few years…

3 Likes

I skipped the PS4. Almost jumped on a Pro but held off because I wanted a 4k drive and not long after launch I heard of all the fan noise complaints. My outlook on the PS5 tanked with the vague info on backwards compatibility or preferably PS4 enhanced titles. With my outdated hardware knowledge, I can’t yet see any performance benefit over the Series X [other than shorter load times if XVA doesn’t even that out]. PS5 has an uphill trek to convince me to buy. More enhancements for most of the PS4 games, validated quiet PS5 acoustics, (and a Xbox style controller) and I may get one as a Sony Exclusives box. I think that will also give me time to learn more about timed vs. permanent exclusives and verify if the PS5 performs well (and quiet!) enough to be in my theater. I am not a fan of the idea of a vacuum or jet engine fighting my expensive surround sound bought and tuned professionally for a slight hearing loss.

I’m all in on getting a PS5 eventually, very excited about the games they announced for it that all very especially appeal to me compared to some of their other offerings lately. But don’t really want to buy the avant-garde skyscraper at launch and hopefully they make it at least two story apartment or condominium sized in a revision. That or I impulse buy one next year during holidays when it’s on sale with a game.

That said very much looking forward to miles morales, ratchet, sackboy, horizon.

Same, I know I’ll be getting one but the launch design just… Ugh. I usually wait for slim revisions anyway before buying a console so that looks like the best choice here. My only issue is that I really want to play Horizon 2, if it comes out 2021 I might not be able to wait two more years or whatever.

I’ve been basically waiting 10~ years now for a genuine sequel to R&C: A Crack in Time so It’s very hard to resist. But if i got a PS5 i’d likely genuinely have to travel with it (when that’s a thing again) here or there and it would just literally take up a whole carry-on suitcase probably.